Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com - View Single Post - Consensus on Cobb Access Port and Subaru Warranty
View Single Post
Old 08-13-19, 03:13 PM  
T1000
Becoming A Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

T1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Consensus on Cobb Access Port and Subaru Warranty

Based on my research I am leaning towards the consensus that Subaru can detect if an ECU has been flashed. In the end, it is at the dealership's discretion if they want to help you out but ultimately, if they really wanted to, they can detect historic flashes after unmarrying. This is based off of the GR models. I'm assuming anything newer would be the same.

Source - Spoke to the following at multiple dealerships:

4 of 4 Service Technicians all said they can see key counts after the last flash (same as ECU reset). They can also see that each historic flash will update an identifier and add a number to it after unmarrying.

1 of 3 Service Advisors said the same thing as the Service Technicians above.

1 of 3 Service Advisors said they can check key counts after the last flash but will require SOA to come down to actually check the ECU to confirm each historic flash. It can be done but it just requires more involvement.

1 of 3 Service Advisors said they can only check key counts after the last flash.

1 of 1 Parts Dept said they can't check if reverted back to stock tune.

1 of 1 Front Desk said they can't check if reverted back to stock tune.

There is consistency with the service technicians which are likely the most knowledgeable. I've also spoken with SOA and they have confirmed a trail is left behind after each flash even if reverted back to stock. Of the 3 Service Advisors, they all had to put me on hold and ask someone else to relay the message. Parts Dept might know what they're talking about depending on the person but I don't have any expectation for them to actually know. Based on my experience the Front Desk is usually the least knowledgeable at least at my local dealership.

Note that I have not seen or received any of these services in action. However, this is a service that you can pay for to have an ECU checked. They range from $100 - $200 to perform.

Last edited by T1000; 08-13-19 at 03:16 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0