IW STi Forum banner

Dashboard Removal (2008+ STI)

48K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  kfcheung 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I have had my Dash removed a few times already and had to do it again because I am getting a new Alcantara dash done so I have to remove the current one. Please forgive the lighting on some of these and it is hard to capture with photo some of the screws/plugs but did my best.

I am not responsible for any damage that may occur from you working on your own car. If you are unsure of this process don't attempt it! The service manual also has good instructions to remove the dash so become a member and download the manual! :D

You will be working with an airbag so make sure you disconnect the battery and press your brake pedal to make sure there is no power to the car.

Please feel free to post any comments/questions.

Tools Required:

10mm Socket/Extension
Ratchet
Small Screwdriver/Regular length Screwdriver (Phillips)
Small Flathead screwdriver

Time: 60 minutes (maybe 120 minutes if you are needing to note where every screw went.

1. Start by removing the A-Pillars. Use something like a flathead to pop off the airbag tabs to get access to the 10mm bolt. After the bolt is removed it will simply pop off.

2. Remove the Gauge hood from the dash, since mine is covered it comes off easily. The plastic fits tighter so when you pull give it some and it will pop off.

3. Remove the 2 screws that hold the Cluster to the upper dash, the lower part of the cluster is held in by 2 clips so just pull back on the cluster until it pops from the dash. Disconnect the harness from the back of the cluster. This will expose 2 more screws that are holding the dash to the metal beam.

4. Remove the Stereo Bezel. Again mine is Alcantara so fit is not very tight. Try to get something thin behind it along the topside or pull by the vents and it will pop off. This is a combination of clips/tabs. Once removed, take out the 6 screws holding the stereo and the plastic air vent. Remove both the stereo and air vent.

5. Unclip the 2 plugs that connect to the AC controls

6. On the drivers side, there is a panel covering the side of the dash, use something thin to pop the panel off (4 clips). This will expose multiple screws (4), remove all 4. The vent cover can also be removed (this can be pulled off, it is a bit tight with the clip but will come out with some force).

7. Do the same on the other side. To remove the swoop just start pulling back from the vent and continue all the way to the end. They are just held on by clips so may require some force. Again mine comes off very easy because fitment is tight with the alcantara.

8. Remove the panel below the steering column. Start on the far end near the door, if you want to leave the controls in for the mirrors, etc remove the 4 plugs from behind. Pull the rest of the lower panel off. This is only held in at that point by clips. The floor lighting is also on there and that can just twist and comes off the panel (2nd picture)

9. Start on the other side lower panel. Remove all screws that are presented from behind the Swoop... 7 total.

10. To remove the lower half on the passenger side you also have to remove the Shifter trim, the 2 side trim pieces and to get to those you have to unbolt the center console... Start by pulling up on the EBrake Boot to expose a screw and remove that. Then pull up on the center console by the SI drive to pop the front portion off. Open the center console to remove the 2 bolts holding it to the chassis (Mine are not stock) and slide the center console back.

Pull up and back on the center console to remove (Will need to remove Shift Knob and possibly shift boot first prior to removing the trim.)

Disconnect plug from light for STI logo

Remove Screw from each side (2 of these)

Remove 10mm nut from opening under console.

Remove both of these panels from both sides. They pop out but take care as the clip closest to the firewall can brake the bracket there if you give it too much force. (I know :D)

11. Remove the glove box (I chose to leave it in for this but probably easier with it removed) there are 4 screws up top and 1 screw to the bottom right that need to be removed.

12. Unscrew the air sensor and just move it below

13. Remove the lower dash by pulling away from the upper dash. May require some maneuvering. There are 2 plugs behind the cigarette lighter remove those while you are pulling the dash out. There is also the glovebox light that needs to be unplugged as you are pulling it away.

14. Unclip the yellow airbag plug, there is also another clip that holds the wire to the metal bracket just above. Unclip the airbag plug by depressing the green push button and pulling on the connecter. May help to have a flathead screwdriver to assist.

15. There are 2 10mm bolts holding the airbag to the bracket. They are located underneith the airbag module. I managed to have 1 snap on me the first time I removed this so just don't use too much force.

16. By the defroster vent, pop off the senser and disconnect the wire. This can be pulled down through the stereo opening. To have enough slack or to at least get the wire out of the way it is connected to the upper dash. You will need a small screwdriver to remove the screw and move the wire out of the way. I didn't take a picture but if you can remove the plug behind the clock that works. Otherwise the clock portion there are 2 tabs that you can pull back and pop just that part out so you don't have to unscrew that entire clock housing.

This wire is screwed in where the clock pod is on the far right (passenger side).

17. Oops almost forgot, there are 2 screws on both the far passenger and driver sides that also hold the dash down. Remove these 2.

18. You can pull up and back on the dash, Make sure the steering column is fully extended and low and you can pull the dash out either side. The airbag bracket may get caught so just have some patience. You may have to maneuver the air vents that are attached to the dash around to clear a few brackets.

See less See more
#12 ·
Assuming you have everything removed... you either don't have everything removed or it is catching on the Airbag bracket or the ducting. Double check the airbag bracket? I have not had a Subaru for 4+ years now so I can't help much more sorry :(

#14 ·
It depends what it is. You can remove the stereo bezel and stereo unit and if you have skinny arms/hands you can almost reach back there but its 100% blind. I have been able to reach the sensor in the back and just barely plug in the clock from behind (as i remember forgetting to do this during install).

You could technically even get a stubby screwdriver on the 2 screws holding the clock housing to the dash and possible fish it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.