Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com - View Single Post - Exhaust Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust
View Single Post
Old 12-18-18, 12:23 PM  
EightTenths
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: Lapis Blue '17 STI
Fav Mod: Flex Fuel Tune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

EightTenths will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNoBadDog View Post
I just installed a Cobb catted DP with my already installed AWE Touring CB. It is quite a bit louder now. Cruising is OK, but when accelerating it is noticeably louder than with the stock DP/AWE combo. I really like the unique sound of the AWE, but I don't think my neighbors feel the same now that the volume is clicked up a notch.

I am now starting to consider changing to another cat back to bring the volume back down while retaining the DP. In your testing is the Cobb Ti CB noticeably quieter than the AWE throughout the RPM range?

I have read that Milltek ($$$$) and possibly the Perrin dual tube CB are quieter options, too. Anyone have feedback on them with an aftermarket DP?
It's about 2-3 dB difference cruising with Cobb Ti vs. AWE/T paired with a Cobb DP. WOT they are equally loud on the dB meter although AWE seems louder... it is also the better sounding one. I find myself upshifting with the Cobb to get it out of the 3k RPM drone zone where AVCS kicks in and downshifting with the AWE to lower its volume. AWE as you know just doesn't register that annoying AVCS drone. I've heard Milltek in videos but not in person. I have a hard time believing it is quieter than a Cobb Ti. Crusing Cobb Ti is 75-76 dB and stock CBE is 73 dB. If Cobb was quieter it's kinda pointless... it's probably why it doesn't have a resonator, it would be too quiet. I think if the AWE was 2 dB quieter it would be perfect mated with a downpipe.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0