Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com - View Single Post - Do you need a new tune?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-17, 07:14 AM  
mheyman
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do you need a new tune?

1) #1 for a reason! Find the noise - and fix if/as necessary before it becomes a real problem!

2) Most people consider a stock block to be fairly reliable at under 350AWHP.

3) If you are concerned about reliability then for far less than the cost of a new engine you can have a spare car. You don't have to swap engines to use it when needed. I have a 2002 Civic we bought for under $2K. I was glad to have it when I shattered my ankle and could not drive stick. I do realize that this may not be practical for city dwellers, but most city dwellers aren't talking about building their own engine - cause they'd be doing it on their kitchen table. OK, I built a VW on my kitchen table around 82 still . . .

4) Unless you really really want to build your own block, or you are already an Subie expert, you'll be better off buying a built short block if you ever want or need need one. Start looking here:

IAG Performance Subaru Short Block Built Engines for WRX, STI, Legacy GT, Spec B and Forester XT.
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.

Last edited by mheyman; 02-09-17 at 08:00 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0