IW STi Forum banner

Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust!

GR Hatch: 
78K views 408 replies 32 participants last post by  STIGR-Wagon-Dad 
#1 · (Edited)
I've always liked rally inspired vehicles. Back in 94, I've owned a very rare IMSA Champion edition Toyota Celica All Trac turbo 1988. I've always been a Toyota guy. But Toyota hasn't built anything exciting in the past 12 years. I grew up exposed to the Japanese car culture as a high school teenager and as a twenty-something the Cali import scene. Basically I put this car together of what I liked from both scenes.
From 2001-2007, I was stationed in Japan. I was driving down Route 16, taking the long way home to Atsugi from Yokota. I told my wife that I wanted a Subaru Impreza STI, but I wanted it only in Wagon or Hatchback form. I didn't know much about Subaru and have only scene the 2 door and 4 door sedan. A few seconds later, a Bugeye STI Wagon drives past us going in the opposite direction and I said, "I want something exactly like that"!
Fast forward 2008. As soon as I report to my new command, they cut me orders to go support the efforts in Iraq as an Individual Augmentee. I do my time for a year and return to Cali to finish my obligation. I knew the Hatchback had just came out but I wasn't even thinking about getting a car. More like getting re-accustomed to living back in America. My wife says ,"let's go get your car you wanted". I looked at her surprised and excited and said, " I love you". I bought a fairly new used 2008 STI in March 2009.
I've had the car for a while but it spent most of it's time in storage as I did move out to Guam for 3 years. I started this journal a little late, but I thought it's about time I start one. I'll just go with what the car has on now and what will be done. I'm not looking for big power, I'm about enjoying a well balanced machine.

**Future upgrades**
Stoptech brake lines
Whiteline toe arms
Prova rear spoiler or L'aunsport 09 WRC wing
L'aunsport side mirrors
ARC Cool fins

Exterior:
Trust Gracer front lip
Rally-Tech mudflaps
AVO rear underspoiler
JDM Subaru under panels
Password JDM Gurney flap
Enkei RC-T4 18X9.5 White
Bridgestone S04 Potenza Pole Position 255/40
Prova side mirror convex overlays.
Beatrush undertray

Interior:
Recaro Pole Position
Recaro Proride child seat
Clarion Audio
Killerbmotorsport 6 speed shift knob
HKS Turbo timer Type 0
SMY Performance gauge pod w/Synapse Engineering boost gauge and oil pressure gauge
Beltronics STi Driver

Engine:
Tomei ARMS M8265
New OEM short block built by Infamous Performance
CP 9.0:1 forged pistons w/Manley H beam rods
Killerbmotorsport windage tray
Killerbmotorsport oil pick up tube
Motul 5W40
HKS panel filter
Syms Racing Air induction box
Stock airbox
Tomei turbo inlet hose w/Venair maf hose
STI TMIC w/Zerosports splitter & Samco hose kit
Synapse Engineering Diverter valve
Killer B 2 bolt Holy header w/Perrin Performance Big Tube uppipe+Perrin Performance up pipe blanket
HKS Legamax 75mm turbo back exhaust/Thermal Zero DP jacket
Thermal Zero turbo blanket
CB titanium heat shield
BP/BL JDM engine covers
Zerosports radiator panel
AEM 320lph fuel pump
NGK LFR7AIX spark plugs
Koyo hyper v radiator w/Mishimoto pnp fans
Synapse Engineering 1150cc injectors
Delicious Tuning flex fuel kit for Cobb
Prova AOS
Company23 anti-surge boost controller
Heat insulation by Heatshield Products/DEI/Perrin Performance
Fluidampr crank pulley
Tune by Delicious Tuning
E85
STI Group N engine mounts

Suspension/brakes/chassis:
HKS Hipermax I I I street coilovers
Rallitek 22mm f and 19mm r antisway bars w/Rallitek endlinks
Tanabe racing Strut bar
Cusco steering bracket
Cusco crossmember brace
Cusco rear member brace
GTspec rear brace
Whiteline rear antisway bar brace
AVO caster bushings
AVO steering rack bushings
Whiteline rear diff bushings
Kartboy rear subframe bushings
Tanabe underbrace
Superpro roll center kit
HKS Kansai Service rear tower bar
Adam's Rotors cross drilled w/Stoptech street performance brake pads
Buddy club rear lower control arms

Transmission:
Stock STI 6 speed
Southbend Stage 2 daily driver clutch
PST carbon fiber driveshaft
Amsoil severe gear 75w90
Prothane shifter bushing kit
STI Group N transmission mount
AVO Turbo transmission bushings

91 octane tune 237whp/275wtq
E85 tune 301whp/348wtq with VF48
With M8265 ???
Calibration performed by Bill Knose of Delicious Tuning at Infamous Performance Mustang dyno.

Added some heat reflective cloth
April 10, 2014

Added more heat reflective stuff on the MAF hose and more padding in the bottom and lumbar area
April 24, 2014

Installed DW65C Deatschwerks fuel pump and new assembly.
April 29, 2014

Installed JDM transmission under panel, removed Tanabe underbrace, and installed Cusco type1 underbrace.
April 30,2014

Installed Moddiction blue convex side view mirror overlays.
May 3, 2014

Attachments

See less See more
#262 ·
Don, I'm both sad to hear that your turbo manifold cracked, but much more happy that you get to grab the KillerB headers, they're the best and you're going to love them! Thanks again for the measurements on the Beatrush and oil pan clearance :)

Can't wait to see those KillerB headers when you get them!!!

#267 ·
New fuel pump installed. But this time, it's the slightly bigger AEM 320lph. Drops right in and no need for the harness. I did take the prefilter from the 310lph pump and installed it on the 320lph. The one that comes with the 320lph is a little too big. You may want to purchase a stock one or the Cobb one.

#277 ·
The car is at Infamous Performance for the turbo and header install. It's getting a retune on Wednesday. Stock turbo on E85 is great, but once I have to settle for 91, it's disappointing. I find myself driving 13 miles to the nearest E85 station every 3 days. I'm only getting 180-200 miles per tank on E85. This will be the final power upgrade. I'm going to concentrate on chassis and aerodynamics after this.

#280 ·
It's going to be interesting to see your numbers against mine for the Steamspeed 76XL that I got from you. Been driving on what I think is our equivalent to your 91 on spring pressure only. Car already feels great. Hoping to get the car on the Dyno in early May for the final tune.

#282 ·
The car is done but the numbers don't speak for what it should be. The dyno at Infamous had some problems, and my tuner had a car run on it to be sure and it was reading 40whp less than the previous run before the dyno broke. The numbers read the same as the last run with this new turbo, but it sure does feel way more powerful.

#283 ·
I like this turbo! It is perfect with my driving style or bad habits. It is easier to drive in stop and go traffic. The stock turbo was pretty close to an on/off switch and was sort of a pain to drive. The Tomei ARMS M8265 is a little laggy, but my engine has slightly higher compression, so engine response does not suffer. It actually is more responsive, most likely from the 9.0:1 comp pistons, Killer B manifold, and less back pressure from the new turbo. I am guessing volumetric efficiency has improved with this combo. My gas mileage has improved as I am able to stay off boost easier while cruising. The engine response is great. While on boost, it hits hard, even under 4k rpm, and the Synapse Engineering diverter valve assists with turbo response under boost and gear change. While I do not know what the actual numbers are, since the dyno calibration factors were lost due to the computer crashing and lack of support from the makers of the dyno, my tuner say this set up is good for over 400whp and it definitely feels that way. Thanks to Mike and Dylan of Infamous Performance for the quick turnaround, and Bill from Delicious Tuning for extracting the power out of the engine.

The Tomei ARMS M8265 would have been the perfect turbo for my application, but the oil line bolt leaked and needed to be replaced with an aluminum one from Blouch. The wastegate actuator spring was not the advertised spring pressure of 12.8lbs, but more close to 22lbs, as the dyno showed 22 psi of boost, my tuner had to work around this and told me he could have extracted more power on lower boost. Other than that, it performs to my expectations.

#285 ·
Running on 91 octane the car is still more powerful than the stock turbo. Almost as powerful as the E85 on the stock turbo. The loss of low end is apparent from idle to 4.5k rpm, but the rush to redline from 4.5k makes up for it. It is really responsive in the upper part of the powerband. Much easier to drive around town as the turbo stays out of boost below 4k rpm at part throttle. The stock turbo got into boost, even at part throttle and can be a pita driving in stop and go traffic. The characteristics have definitely changed, and it fits my driving habits, keeping the rpm high and engine braking and getting power all the way to redline. The stock turbo was choking the engine past 5k rpm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.