IW STi Forum banner

Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust!

GR Hatch: 
78K views 408 replies 32 participants last post by  STIGR-Wagon-Dad 
#1 · (Edited)
I've always liked rally inspired vehicles. Back in 94, I've owned a very rare IMSA Champion edition Toyota Celica All Trac turbo 1988. I've always been a Toyota guy. But Toyota hasn't built anything exciting in the past 12 years. I grew up exposed to the Japanese car culture as a high school teenager and as a twenty-something the Cali import scene. Basically I put this car together of what I liked from both scenes.
From 2001-2007, I was stationed in Japan. I was driving down Route 16, taking the long way home to Atsugi from Yokota. I told my wife that I wanted a Subaru Impreza STI, but I wanted it only in Wagon or Hatchback form. I didn't know much about Subaru and have only scene the 2 door and 4 door sedan. A few seconds later, a Bugeye STI Wagon drives past us going in the opposite direction and I said, "I want something exactly like that"!
Fast forward 2008. As soon as I report to my new command, they cut me orders to go support the efforts in Iraq as an Individual Augmentee. I do my time for a year and return to Cali to finish my obligation. I knew the Hatchback had just came out but I wasn't even thinking about getting a car. More like getting re-accustomed to living back in America. My wife says ,"let's go get your car you wanted". I looked at her surprised and excited and said, " I love you". I bought a fairly new used 2008 STI in March 2009.
I've had the car for a while but it spent most of it's time in storage as I did move out to Guam for 3 years. I started this journal a little late, but I thought it's about time I start one. I'll just go with what the car has on now and what will be done. I'm not looking for big power, I'm about enjoying a well balanced machine.

**Future upgrades**
Stoptech brake lines
Whiteline toe arms
Prova rear spoiler or L'aunsport 09 WRC wing
L'aunsport side mirrors
ARC Cool fins

Exterior:
Trust Gracer front lip
Rally-Tech mudflaps
AVO rear underspoiler
JDM Subaru under panels
Password JDM Gurney flap
Enkei RC-T4 18X9.5 White
Bridgestone S04 Potenza Pole Position 255/40
Prova side mirror convex overlays.
Beatrush undertray

Interior:
Recaro Pole Position
Recaro Proride child seat
Clarion Audio
Killerbmotorsport 6 speed shift knob
HKS Turbo timer Type 0
SMY Performance gauge pod w/Synapse Engineering boost gauge and oil pressure gauge
Beltronics STi Driver

Engine:
Tomei ARMS M8265
New OEM short block built by Infamous Performance
CP 9.0:1 forged pistons w/Manley H beam rods
Killerbmotorsport windage tray
Killerbmotorsport oil pick up tube
Motul 5W40
HKS panel filter
Syms Racing Air induction box
Stock airbox
Tomei turbo inlet hose w/Venair maf hose
STI TMIC w/Zerosports splitter & Samco hose kit
Synapse Engineering Diverter valve
Killer B 2 bolt Holy header w/Perrin Performance Big Tube uppipe+Perrin Performance up pipe blanket
HKS Legamax 75mm turbo back exhaust/Thermal Zero DP jacket
Thermal Zero turbo blanket
CB titanium heat shield
BP/BL JDM engine covers
Zerosports radiator panel
AEM 320lph fuel pump
NGK LFR7AIX spark plugs
Koyo hyper v radiator w/Mishimoto pnp fans
Synapse Engineering 1150cc injectors
Delicious Tuning flex fuel kit for Cobb
Prova AOS
Company23 anti-surge boost controller
Heat insulation by Heatshield Products/DEI/Perrin Performance
Fluidampr crank pulley
Tune by Delicious Tuning
E85
STI Group N engine mounts

Suspension/brakes/chassis:
HKS Hipermax I I I street coilovers
Rallitek 22mm f and 19mm r antisway bars w/Rallitek endlinks
Tanabe racing Strut bar
Cusco steering bracket
Cusco crossmember brace
Cusco rear member brace
GTspec rear brace
Whiteline rear antisway bar brace
AVO caster bushings
AVO steering rack bushings
Whiteline rear diff bushings
Kartboy rear subframe bushings
Tanabe underbrace
Superpro roll center kit
HKS Kansai Service rear tower bar
Adam's Rotors cross drilled w/Stoptech street performance brake pads
Buddy club rear lower control arms

Transmission:
Stock STI 6 speed
Southbend Stage 2 daily driver clutch
PST carbon fiber driveshaft
Amsoil severe gear 75w90
Prothane shifter bushing kit
STI Group N transmission mount
AVO Turbo transmission bushings

91 octane tune 237whp/275wtq
E85 tune 301whp/348wtq with VF48
With M8265 ???
Calibration performed by Bill Knose of Delicious Tuning at Infamous Performance Mustang dyno.

Added some heat reflective cloth
April 10, 2014

Added more heat reflective stuff on the MAF hose and more padding in the bottom and lumbar area
April 24, 2014

Installed DW65C Deatschwerks fuel pump and new assembly.
April 29, 2014

Installed JDM transmission under panel, removed Tanabe underbrace, and installed Cusco type1 underbrace.
April 30,2014

Installed Moddiction blue convex side view mirror overlays.
May 3, 2014

Attachments

See less See more
#231 ·
E85+VF48 feels like I have a big engine under the good. The spool is pretty much instantaneous. I'm liking the 9.0:1 compression pistons. This combo works well. If only someone made a quiet intake. The Cobb SF intake I had a while ago felt great but was too loud. It would have made more power and response over my stock airbox I have now. Response and boost recovery is faster now with the tune and it enhances what my Synapse Engineering DV had brought to the table.

#240 ·
My Buddy Club rear adjustable lower control arms have arrived! This should fix the rear roll centers after lowering, camber, and endlink height. I guess the JDM cars have an auto headlight leveling adjustment built into the arms.Image Link
Image Link
After driving around, I noticed that the bumps I normally drive over are well dampened now. Before, the small bumps would feel like I hit a deep pothole and the ride would feel bumpy. The rear lower arms had the same effect as the roll center kit I installed up front. The rear feels planted and stable.

#239 ·
The alignment went well. The rears were out of wack, but the tech was able to dial it in to my specs.
FR camber 2 1/4
FL camber 2 1/4
Toe 1/32 in
Caster 7

RR camber 1 3/4
LR camber 1 3/4
Toe 3/16 in
The car feels stable and steering feels more responsive. I can't wait to try driving it in the mountains again.

#241 ·
My powersteering pump has been making a lot of noise for almost a year and it got worse. I decided to change out the o-ring on the pump. It only made noise when it was cold. So far I've noticed there is less load on the engine, the engine runs cooler, and my fuel trims are more in line of where they are supposed to be. Now to check if the noise goes away tomorrow morning.

#258 ·
Image Link

I installed this windshield banner I had sitting around. It was a pain to install.
Looks good!

Ya, they aren't easy to do, lol. I installed mine while standing through the sunroof and my wife was holding the other half and removing the backing as I moved towards her. Fun times.

I cringe verytime I hear someone say "oh wrapping a car is super easy, you just do it in panel sections. I'll order the vinyl and just do it in my garage".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.