IW STi Forum banner

yamahaSHO's Street Car - Random updates... :p

378K views 2K replies 136 participants last post by  yamahaSHO 
#1 · (Edited)
HTML:
Here is my oh-so-common 2005 WRB STi :)

I purchased this car in June of 2009 w/ 25k miles from a guy in Ames, IA. The car had never seen winter and was extremely clean. As much as I tried to stray away from a previously modded STi, I couldn't resist this one even though it had a few mods. The mods that were already on the car were:

• COBB catless TBE
  • SPT short ram intake
  • COBB springs
  • COBB sway bars
  • Rear strut tower brace (hadn't looked to find the maker)
Since purchasing the vehicle, I have removed the SPT intake and installed a stock intake/air box. The car had an unknown tune (supposedly tuned), but I picked up an AccessPort v2 immediatly and flashed it to stage 2, 91 octane. The car has run great and is a blast to drive, however, it really leaves me wanting more on the top-end. Because of this I have some plans for the car... I've only put about 3k miles on the car in the time I've had it :)

So, onto my near-future mods.... I have just recently purchased:

• Blouch 20G/TD05H/8cm
  • KW v1 (to replace the COBB springs)
  • Moroso steel oil pan/pickup tube
  • Ebay pink H-brace
  • Ebay V-limited lip
I will be converting the car to E85, so I still have to pick up some 850cc injectors and a fuel pump. I will eventually PnP and coat the exhaust manifold, ceramic or swaintech coat the DP. I have been looking pretty hard at the Process West TMIC.

This is mostly a street car, but will see some track time (1/8, 1/4 and eventually road course after an oil cooler), but 95% will be street time. I will also be tuning the car myself with the AccessTuner Race software. I've been glued to tuning research on these cars as I'm not too keen on blowing a motor. I've been tuning Fords for close to a decade, so I don't consider myself to be starting at square one.

On to some pictures!

And a picture of both of the winter sleepers :)

Attachments

See less See more
#236 ·
Re: yamahaSHO - Sleeping for Winter...

Yes, I tune myself. I actually bought this MAF after tuning a car that had one. I originally tuned the individual's car the previous year. Later he bought this MAF/intake and I found it extremely easy to scale this in.

Fit and quality are very good. For the money, it's my pick.

#238 ·

I'm not going to lie, some of the S2000 community worries me. It seems behind in many aspects, and people will pay $1,000+ for an intake due to being "JDM", but gain like .2hp. I do already have a stack of S2000 parts awaiting the car to include: Wilwood BBK, track wheels, Crawford AOS, fuel injectors + new seals for running E85, lug nuts, car cover, etc.

As for the STi; Hoping TIG Werks gets on the motor/trans mounts project as I'm in need for a good mount that allows me to customize the bushings firmness. His design looks to be the best out there and I won't have to feel everything on my street car. I plan to do mounts the same time I do the KillerB pickup and windage tray.

#239 ·

It seems behind in many aspects, and people will pay $1,000+ for an intake due to being "JDM", but gain like .2hp.
I wouldn't say "it's behind", there are simply some individuals that will pay extra for design, pedigree, and country of origin. If your intentions aren't to win, power gain doesn't matter. If your intentions are to get the most looks that .2hp JDM Intake maybe the ticket.

Every car has and needs these types of people. There is a strong race contingent of S2k's the ones I know of are more active on their respective sanctioning body boards or local forums and they simply do the S2k forums for deals and lols.

/rant :)

#241 ·

Maybe it's time for a more tech oriented S2k forum.

#242 · (Edited)

You need to stick to the Race & Comp forum in s2ki. That's probably the only forum I go to regularly. But your are right. For the most part, owners will rather get a JDM crap over a functional part. I think it has a lot to do with USDM companies are not in support of the s2k (due to potential lack luster sales). So the only avenue is the JDM part. Also, there really isn't much you can do to the s2k. Its speed really comes from tires, suspension, brakes, & aero. Not much in the way of HP. It's a simple formula. I was taken back when I first got my 04 STi. I was shocked at the bushings that had to be replaced just to get it on par.

But I do see more s2ks at the track than I do Subarus. And I hardly see s2ks. :) Most Subarus I see are for street use, which is cool and what I like my STi for.

#244 ·

Also, there really isn't much you can do to the s2k. Its speed really comes from tires, suspension, brakes, & aero.
That's basically a race-prepped Miata too. Heh.

As far as people with cars like that, you don't regularly see many too many around here that were done right. I was surprised at seeing the amount I did at ICC. Seemed to come out of the woodwork.

Which by your picture Jaz, it looks like you were in the NW corner of the lot. I was parked over by the NebSub guys in the SW and didn' make it over to that part. Had I seen ya, I would've said hi.

#243 ·

I'm not in it for power... If I were, it'd be over 600whp and I would have already bought a turbo. The only thing I'm doing for power is I/H/E, E85, and some tuning. Everything else is geared towards making it go faster around track. :)

I do mostly stick to the Race & Comp on the boards, but I like to get into technical with the motors, so I can't help myself.

As far s the JDM... I mostly see valve covers and intake, which... There are lots of well priced intakes and valves covers... MEH. I'd rather powder coat it and put a sticker on it. :)

I'll be sure to make a journal when I pick it up in about 2.5 weeks. I had to plan travel around a work schedule.

#247 · (Edited)

Since the nice weather is around the corner, I put the car up on jack stands to take care of the bushings I have left that will complete me having replaced every single bushing on the car.

While installing the differential bushings, I found mine to be very loose. For a part that is supposed to limit the movement that the stock bushings suffer from, this seems like a bad start. I recently did these on my buddies 07 STi Wagon and although I thought they were a tad loose, it was nothing like this (but I had it loaded up with dielectric grease too). I can wiggle it back and forth smacking it from side to side (there's no compression). Anyone else have this issue?

On a side note, this is a brand new diff mount bracket. Let's just say that the person I let press the bushing out let it out of his site for a short break at work and someone dumbass screwed up my stock one. I ended up using my jaw pullers to get these out.

#249 ·

Most of them are TiC or Kartboy, and the front control arms are PowerFlex.

Still waiting on TiC to get back with me on a solution to my situation. He initially said that he's seen this happen before. I mentioned it was a new bracket and he wondered if Subaru had changed suppliers, so I then tested it on my original 2005 mount and it was the exact same fitment. Currently the car is up on jack stands waiting for something from them. I can never get him to confirm measurements on any of their parts which would make this much easier for me. I'm starting to lose my faith in TiC. Currently, I'd trust the stock squishy mounts over this. I can rattle these things around by shaking the differential mount. If installed, it would just allow my differential to continue shifting...

I've purchased a good bit of stuff from TiC, so hopefully he comes through. Hopefully not after I have to throw a shit fit.

#250 ·

Man, that is so unlike TiC, at least from what I've read of them.

I realize people are busy, but a quick measurement email shot back in your direction shouldn't be too hard right?? Basically, it's doing exactly the opposite of what it was designed to do; not cool. Hopefully they get you sorted.

#252 · (Edited)

Replaced the DW 320 lph pump for a Walbro 400 today. Need to go out and rescale as it's pretty rich at higher. Loads in OL.

As soon as I get my plates for the S2000 from Arizona, I'll finish up the rest of the parts I have for install and just enjoy the car. The STi has great power, but I find the S2000 to be more fun to drive. :)

#253 · (Edited)
Re: yamahaSHO - Walbro 400 installed

Got a chance to make a couple pulls in my car after putting in the Walbro 400. It originally was extremely rich at high load, but after a couple changes, it's just a little bit rich. More boost and timing will be added when I get a chance to put a few hours into the car from the passenger seat. The S2000 is extremely fun to drive, but this thing makes some good torque!

3rd gear pull (connection hiccup didn't show up to 7k RPM), I'll need to drop timing sooner.

#255 ·

I will probably take it up to 24-25 PSI, but I'll need to upgrade the MAP sensor for that. I haven't had a chance to actually tune it as I've been tuning other peoples cars. Once I finally receive my plates for the S2000, I will take the STi down for new motor/trans mounts, pickup tube, windage tray, and the last few bushings I have left, then I'll take some time to tune it. After this past Friday, I really want to get this out to MAM to see what it will run. If the stock clutch can take it, it should have no problem getting deep into the 7's.

#256 ·

That's up there for sure. And yeah, you have been busy with other people's cars; I remember what you said about that, heh. I'd for sure like to get to the point you're at with replacing all the bushings and the like. At the same time I do the first oil change which is coming up soon, I plan to have the Killer B bits as well. After being at MAM, I'm sure you're anxious to run for sure. Into the 7's I agree...I just hope to be there to see it!

#258 ·

What motor/trans mounts are you looking into getting?

I just finished installing the Beatrush transmission mount to compliment my Beatrush motor mounts & I couldn't be happier. It actually has made it feel more torquey & the nvh is barely noticeable.

#259 ·

I bought a set of Group-N motor and transmission mounts. My buddies Cusco mounts do not vibrate anything, but the transmission noise is quite loud, and it got louder after about 1k miles. My car is pretty quiet (seriously) and smooth and I'm trying to keep that. I don't do much drag racing, so I'm going to give these a go.

His car feels great launching, but considering my buddy C.J. is running 10's with his stock long block on the Group-N motor mounts (stock trans mount, IIRC), they should last me a good while.

#260 ·

Wow! 10's on the stock long block and group-n mounts... I get some (diff?) gear whine at 40mph, but I'm not sure which part of the TiC comfort sexy rear end was most responsible for that. Lockdown bolts? Outrigger bushings?

What are your thoughts on the windage tray?

#262 ·

Wow! 10's on the stock long block and group-n mounts... I get some (diff?) gear whine at 40mph, but I'm not sure which part of the TiC comfort sexy rear end was most responsible for that. Lockdown bolts? Outrigger bushings?

What are your thoughts on the windage tray?
I've got the diff mounts and the noise there is barely any. I don't have lock down bolts as the 05's are solidly mounted from the factory (no rubber bushing). The noise on my buddies is from the motor/tranny mounts as we did those after everything and it's coming from up front (stock pitch mount). This noise is constant with moving and louder the faster you go.

Love the color of your AP2. Would like to see one with a hardtop!
Thanks. I plan on a hard top about the time I put a big wing on it.