IW STi Forum banner

Baron's '05 STi journal - **Car is gone, now have R34 GT-R :)**

152K views 1K replies 41 participants last post by  BaronOBeefdip 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings IWSTI! I am finally creating my journal after reading through so many awesome ones and being on here since early 2012. Long time coming...

I've been obsessed with cars as far back as I can remember, so I can't really get enough of 'em actually. I've also been a longtime follower of motorsports, including WRC, which is where the love for Subaru began. Watching the GCs dominate in the late 90's and GCs/GDs in the early 00's was so memorable. Then when I saw that the STi was coming to U.S. shores for the '04 model year, it was desire right there. Maybe that's why I'm so fond of the GDB chassis. I just knew I had to have one some day. I never gave up that dream and finally, in May of 2012, I was able to get one after an extensive search. I knew what I wanted, so I was on a two year hunt for an untouched, low mileage, one owner car with a clear history/title, and it had to be a fair price to boot!

I found the car the same day that Subaru of Gainesville had listed it on the internet and somehow, I was the first one to call about it. It had just over 28k on the odo, one owner, and was bone-stock. It wasn't listed more than 24hrs and after talking it over with the salesman, my mind was made up: I had to jump on this one because the price was remarkably fair compared to what the rest of the market was doing at the time. After working out a fair deal, it was shipped to me up in Nebraska, and it's been a joy to own ever since.....

Only problems were one wheel had some minor curbage and there were many bug marks permanently in the paint all over the front clip, because the owner did not like to clean I guess. After the flurry of getting things done right after the first month of ownership(it really needed a deep clean, since the previous owner did not care much, and the dealer's "detail" department was less than optimal in their work on it), I decided to fix the major cosmetic issues rather than put money into performance mods. I had the front bumper, hood, hood scoop, and trunk lid repainted. Also had some surfaces buffed and small dents removed. The rest of the car could use a good buff and there are a few small rock chips here and there that I will be touching up myself, but other than that, the paint and clear coat is in good shape and it's a damn perfect car. I am very particular and detail-oriented, so this translates to my car.

As for my plans with it, it's a nice weather toy only. My goals are pretty modest and not attention-grabbing, so to some of you my journal may be somewhat boring and the upgrades may be rather slow since I won't be dumping all my money into it(read: not abusing it and racing irresponsibly).

I have a pretty well-thought out mod path and I know most of the parts that I want to put into it(but suggestions are welcome), so whatever the best power gains from the best possible tuning, I will be happy with. When I'm done upgrading, I'm shooting for somewhere between 330-380whp, but it won't be the easiest to obtain 320 on the 39. I will NOT be going rotated or FMIC probably ever. I want to retain responsiveness and drivability, so I will be staying with the stock turbo as long as I can, as well as the TMIC orientation. I know there's really not that much lag involved, but everyone goes rotated and FMIC around here and I'm not really looking for huge power. I want to be a bit different. Who knows, I may eventually consider an 18 or 20G though; would love to have a ball-bearing turbo. Too bad VF34's don't pop up very often! Most everything else is fair game. I do plan on replacing or upgrading much of the chassis and suspension components relatively soon.

Whew! As I said my journal may be boring to some and it will take some time for parts to go on it, but I welcome discussions on anything and like to talk technical, so have at it! I'm over on that OTHER Subaru forum(NASIOC) with the same name.

More to come!!

Attachments

See less See more
#36 ·
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! read: sloooow progress **winter hibernation**

I have a deposit on the car. It will be paid for in a couple days, however, the new owner from California doesn't pick it up until Spring. I can say I was able to sell for more than I bought my STi for.

#38 ·

If youre looking for a set of ccw classics for your sti I know a guy selling a set of 18x10.5s black and chrome. ;-)

#41 ·

So I'm not too sure which CBE to go with, the Blitz Nur Spec Touring or the Tanabe Medalion Touring. Was also possibly thinking about SRS Type RE. The only issue I have with the Blitz and Tanabe is that they neck down ever so slightly at the flange to DP and the SRS is full 3".

I want to do UEL but not too sure what company to go with, because I'd need to think about bolt patterns on UP's for when I'd go EWG. So many choices. Basically I want to go EWG, possibly even on stock turbo, just get a GrimmSpeed IWG bracket. But it all depends on what headers I decide on, since not all UP's fit with all headers.

#42 ·

If you want to go EWG, the only real option is to go with a stock style, bolt-pattern header unless you go with KillerB's full setup... At least I think they're still doing an EWG setup.

The only ELH header I recommend without spending a crap ton of money is the Invidia race without their UP. Both Ross and I run this header and both have been very happy with it. It's actually my favorite mod so far. There is a guy on NSOC that has a Perrin ELH and it doesn't sound as smooth, almost between an ELH and ULH. I had mine coated with by SwainTech before use (sending and S2000 header there this week).

I can't comment on the exhaust... Most seem to like loud Subaru's, I am different. Mine is very quiet. Ross' is quiet too, just not as quiet as mine.

#43 · (Edited)

I really like the idea of the benefits of EL, for sure. Killer B has a UEL? I wasn't aware...

Is stock design 2 or 3-bolt header to UP?

Neither of those 3 are loud at all and they aren't big cans. Just kind of annoyed that the two nicer JDM ones are tapered slighty, whereas the SRS one is full 3".

#44 ·
Re: Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! read: sloooow progress **winter hibernation**

I really like the idea of the benefits of EL, for sure. Killer B has a UEL? I wasn't aware...

Is stock design 2 or 3-bolt header to UP?

Neither of those 3 are loud at all and they aren't big cans. Just kind of annoyed that the two nicer JDM ones are tapered slighty, whereas the SRS one is full 3".
Killer b only has el so far as I know. I just bought a set myself. Also it wouldnt do well to go EWG on a stock turbo. Maybe my understanding of them is all wrong, but maybe this will help..

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=PA5T5PnWE-k&desktop_uri=/watch?v=PA5T5PnWE-k

Invidia and gt spec make killer UEL headers. You would be happy with those.

#45 ·
#46 ·

Ah thanks for that. For some reason I forgot about the GTSpec offering. Either of those headers are solid, yea like you said, I'm just concerned about bolt patterns.

I plan to try and get a little more boost out of the 39, so an EWG might be something to look at even on stock.

#48 · (Edited)

No worries. I never thought about porting the stock manifold. Then I may just do an AM crosspipe.

Although I looked into it more just now and it seems they make a UEL that has a 3-bolt collector. They make a standard UP and an EWG UP that fits both 2 and 3-bolt types. The ONLY issue I see at all is with the EWG UP, it looks like it's a 90-degree port. I think it will benefit the stock turbo, and I would be good to go if I decide to go to an AM turbo in the future.

You'd just get everything ported?

#51 · (Edited)

Giving it some thought, and since I'm not going to get a different turbo for a while(unless one comes up for a price that's too good to pass up), I guess it would make the most sense to stick with the stock manifold for now, which frees up some money for other parts. So, once I go with a new turbo, that's when I'll do AM headers.

So here's what I'll do:
stock manifold bits PnP and coated(not sure if I want to keep the heatshielding)
AM cross pipe or get stock one coated
EWG w/coated UP
DP coated
CBE
CAI with turbo inlet
EBCS, fuel system bits, or some other stuff if money is left over

#52 ·

- You can't PnP the cross pipe as it is just pipe.

- No point in coating the entire exhaust. I would stop with the DP. If you're going to coat, make it worth while and use SwainTech.

#53 ·

Woops, thanks. I thought you could do that to just about any piece that was a pipe or tube; my mistake.

I was looking at SwainTech services since I saw that you and some others have said good things. I've seen some people that had powder-coated their CB components and really liked that idea over most piping that was chromed. Then I figured what the heck, if the CBE is getting any coating, it might as well be temp-resistant.

#54 ·

I don't see why the CBE needs coated. A good exhaust won't corrode, especially since you don't drive it in the winter. You're really looking at extra cost you could put into a better exhaust, like titanium that would hold heat in without coating and be extremely light.

#55 ·

Damn your sound reasoning, haha! But really, that is best I suppose. I'm sure that both the Blitz and Tanabe ones I'm looking at are SS though. The 2.86" taper on both of them I believe shouldn't cause any issues. You still have the Cobb CBE, right?

TiAL seems to be what most look towards for EWGs, but I'll be looking around.

#56 ·

Yes, I have full Cobb TBE. It has the taper... I'm not too concerned especially since I bypass it under high boost. I considered routing the EWG back into the exhaust (still may). If I do, I would dump it back in after the taper.

TiAL is a good quality brand. TurboSmart also seems to be good. Most of us use TiAL.

#57 ·

Plumbing back in is a good idea, yeah. After taper-even better. When we get back out there, I'll have to give your car a listen in person.

I'll have a lot of kit to install that's for sure. Have to find some time, as well as a place, to do it all. May have to take a little PTO at work to knock it all out. I have a mechanic buddy who has so much to work with, but getting into his driveway/full-ass garage is going to be a PITA once I lower the car a bit.

He has a lowered '05 as well and was scraping bad before he took off the lip. Kinda funny how my place is opposite of that; more than enough space to do work, but the amount of tools I have is laughable. I envy the old guys that have acquired tools on their wall over a lifetime. So cool!

#58 ·

You can do it at my house if you come to CT, lol. I have a 20 car driveway with a 2 car detatched and a single car under house that goes 3 deep plus 2 full snapon roll boxes. Im always looking for other projects. :D

#59 ·

Haha, thanks for the offer there! Too bad you're only 1300 miles out of the way! You guys on the East coast get to have access to all the nice stuff, with all the tuning shops, parts shops and services! But with all the crazy weather? I'm good over here!!

That sounds like an awesome setup by the way; totally envy that!

#60 ·

there's a lot of people who add an ewg to the stock vf39..but the problem is it doesn't add anything but noise. the vf39 is not a high boosting turbo, no matter how you cut it. 21 psi is really it's end all threshold. to get the most out of it, every bolt on you can will help.

pnp the factory header is a waste also. it was the thing to do a few years ago, but it's proven an aftermarket kicks it's butt. you won't reap the same benefits. a good gt spec UEL on the vf39 will get you good power.

#61 ·

Thanks, Billy, for clarifying what I was saying earlier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.