IW STi Forum banner

Perrin & Cosworth 07 STI Limited Updated! (07-06-14)

GD: 
29K views 112 replies 16 participants last post by  Mr.jingles 
#1 · (Edited)
A little about me, I have wanted an STI ever since I heard that boxer rumble at the age of 11. I joined the Navy to make it a career as well as save money for my dream car. With 2 years of penny pinching I was ready to search for one. Problem was an 8 month deployment closing in. I took leave in Washington prior of deployment with several STI’s in mind. Come to find out all of them had major problems and I gave up the search after the last STI had an air bag fault.
There was a last glimmer of hope when I went down to Oregon for a family reunion with my father and he said to look. There was one that caught my eye, a salvaged crystal metallic grey 07 STI Limited. Salvage title was due to theft and flooding. It looked brand new inside and out with 42,000 miles and bone stock. I couldn’t sleep that night I had to see it. We went to Silverline Automotive and were blown away by the warehouse jam packed with subies. I was at half chub the whole time no joke. Seeing the car in person blew me away it looked just as good as it sounded. My dad approved of the car and believed it to be in great shape. With that I bought and was on my way! It was the best feeling to drive out in a STI. Even though it was my first time driving a manual haha

Thought it stopped there? Wrong.
I drove Jennay around for 4 days before prepping her for an 8 month hiatus. BIG step up from a 95’ GMC Sonoma I must say but nothing compared to what I had in store.
I chose Perrin performance for my build because it was a one stop shop and tax free and I chose Cosworth for my internals because its Cosworth.
6 months into deployment I bought everything at once and for a flat shipping rate of $70, it was at my dad’s house the next day.
Who was going to tear apart and rebuild my car?? My dad has been a master mechanic for over 20 years and he has been looking forward to this build. $2400, a case of beer and 6 full days of work later he was done. Cobb wanted over $11,000 in labor and a months time to build.
After deployment I took leave immediately and drove it to Cobb to have it tuned. They inspected my dads work and they saw hoses hooked up incorrectly or not at all and saw the oil pressure sensor leaking (it was loose come to find out) and refused to tune even after correcting all the issues. I was a very unhappy person because I had no time for a reschedule and I needed to drive that car to San Diego. Luckily Pacific Import Auto was more than happy to tune my subie
Now this isn’t a hate crime against Cobb, they are just picky on what they touch to protect their image of tuning. If I wasn’t in the military and 1300 miles away I’d have no problem scheduling another tune with them.
So all in all, I saved $8,000 in buying a salvaged title, $2000 in car sales tax (WA military are exempt), $2000 in sales tax for Perrin’s products (based in Oregon where there is no sales tax), over $500 for a flat rate shipping and $11000 in labor by having my dad build the car. A total of over $22,000 in savings… that’s pretty damn good for planning ahead and jumping on a great buy!

HISTORY:

7AUG12:
Stumbled upon my car at Silverline Automotive

1SEP12:
Deployment

15SEP12:
Contact Perrin and bought 1st wave of parts (Internals and exhaust)

12DEC12:
Bought 2nd wave of parts! (everything else)

22DEC12:
Sound system upgrade

28JAN13:
The rebuild begins!

29APR13:
Back from deployment

14MAY13:
I'm home b!tch3s!

22MAY13:
PIA tuning

---------- TABLE OF CONTENTS ----------

Page 3 is where the rebuild begins
Page 3 rebuild pictures!

---------- MOD LIST ----------

ENGINE INTERNALS:

• Cosworth Forged Pistons
  • Cosworth Forged Rods
  • Cosworth Rings
  • Cosworth Tri metal Main/Rod Bearings
  • Cosworth Head stud kit
  • Cosworth Kevlar belt
ENGINE:

• Perrin GTX3076R.63AR turbo kit ( Tial 46mm Wastegate, large 3" Intake system with MAF, 3" downpipe with built-in wastegate recirc tube, 2" Rotated Up-pipe)
  • Perrin FMIC
  • Perrin Crank pulley
  • Perrin BOV
  • Perrin Boost Controller
  • Perrin radiator shroud
  • Perrin Belt cover
  • Perrin boost controller cover
  • Grimmspeed TGV delete
FUEL/ TUNE:

EXHAUST:

• Perrin Equal length header big tube
  • Perrin Cat-back exhaust
DRIVETRAIN:

• None at this time
SUSPENSION:

• Perrin 25mm sway bar kit w/ spherical end links
  • Perrin Strut and stiffi kit
  • Perrin engine mount kit
  • Perrin transmission mount
  • Perrin pitch stop mount
  • Sub frame lock down kit
WHEELS:

• Stock STI rims painted flat black
INTERIOR:

• Lotek Dual A-pod pillar gauge mount
  • Zero sports triple dash mount
  • Prosport 60mm Boost gauge
  • Prosport 60mm AFR gauge
  • Prosport 60mm Oil pressure gauge
  • Prosport 60mm Oil temp gauge
  • Custom built sub woofer enclosure: 2-10" with 2 round straight ports centered
  • Infinity kappa 100.9w subs
  • Infinity Kappa 800W mono amp
  • Infinity reference 475a 4 channel amp
  • Infinity Kappa 60.11cs component set
  • Infinity Kappa 52.11i coaxial speakers
  • Infinity kappa 800W mono amp
  • Infinity Reference 475A 4 way channel amp
  • 4 speaker adapters made out of PVC
  • OEM stereo
EXTERIOR:

• Tinted windows
  • Standard front lip
  • de-badge coming soon
  • Black headlight and taillight housing coming soon
VIDEO OF BUILD: 07 STI LIMITED BUILD (1 OF 4) - YouTube

VIDEO OF TUNE: 07 STI LIMITED DYNO TUNE - YouTube

I am also on www.socalsubies.com and www.nasioc.com with similar built threads!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: Brad's 07 STI Limited Updated! (1-13-13)

Subie heaven right here! My STI is straight ahead

One happy camper!

These pictures were taken just seconds after buying my STI

Grey body + tinted windows + flat black rims + gold Brembo's = sexy!

Clean and very good looking engine!

Well maintained leather seats

Yes Limiteds come with black Brembo's but that's okay because gold looks just as good!

#3 · (Edited)

I always wondered what happened to my car before I bought it; with it being stripped and all. Some things are better left alone haha

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IMAGES ARE GRAPHIC AND MAY BE DISTURBING TO SOME USERS

Good to see there was no body damage as reported!

A well placed rock is used as the E-brake haha

I laughed when I saw this... I knew all the seats were taken, but not ALL of the interior

Nice enough to leave the peddles

As you can see, there's parts missing on the left side

#4 · (Edited)

The fallowing images are of the parts I'm adding!

Cosworth pistons

Cosworth rods

Cosworth studs

07 STI gasket kit

Cosworth Kevlar belt

Perrin GTX3076R turbo kit

Perrin FMIC

Perrin 25mm sway bar kit with spherical bearings

Perrin strut and Master cylinder brace

Perrin big tube equal length headers

Perrin cat back

Injector dynamics 1000cc

Perrin Top Feed

Perrin BOV

Perrin transmission mount

Perrin pitch stop mount

Perrin Boost controller cover

Perrin engine mount kit

Lotek Dual A-Pillar pod gauge mount (60mm)

Prosport 60mm boost

Prosport 60mm AFR

Prosport 60mm Oil pressure

Prosport 60mm Oil temp

Infinity Kappa 100.9w 350W subs

Infinity kappa 800W mono amp

Power Acoustik 2.0 farad capacitors

Infinity Kappa 60.11cs component system. 6.5" speakers with 3/4" tweeters

Infinity reference 475A 4-channel amp

Infinity Kappa 52.11i coaxial speakers for the rear. 5.25"

6.5" and 5.25" speaker adapters

This enclosure is similar to the one i'm getting except mine will have 2 straight round ports centered on the front

That's all the parts! (for now)

#6 ·

I would invest in a roll cage, Silverline is known for their hack jobs and piecing together multiple SMASHED STI's into one. There's no way that car will be safe in another accident especially considering the speed you'll probably going with a built 30R.

#9 ·

Hmm...wait did you do another journal:confused:
Yeah I made a new thread because I wanted to reserve spaces and put everything on the main page.
For those with the same impression, don't fret. My dad is a master mechanic and looked at the car at his shop. This STI is not a Frankenstein, its clean :tup:

#17 ·
Re: Perrin & Cosworth 07 STI Limited Updated! (1-13-13)

I am staying with the stock clutch till i wear it out (which wont be long). I would like to get some opinions on what my next clutch should be!

I was thinking a Exedy D-Core Carbon Twin Clutch Kit

#18 ·
Re: Perrin & Cosworth 07 STI Limited Updated! (1-22-13)

Major update! The rebuild will start this coming Monday! Things have come up and because of that the project is being pushed. I wish I could be home to help my father put the car together, but as any mod fanatic would say, there always room for more mods!
Pictures will be flowing in very soon :D

#19 ·

Build the heads while it's apart. Do it once, do it right. How much did you pay for the car? All the good pieces were taken so I hope cheap. I'm surprised they didn't take the trunk too.

#20 ·

Build the heads while it's apart. Do it once, do it right. How much did you pay for the car? All the good pieces were taken so I hope cheap. I'm surprised they didn't take the trunk too.
Engine is going to be hoisted out and taken apart and rebuilt. Once that is complete everything else will be added and the engine will be stuffed back in.
i paid just under 20k, most 07 STI's are running from 25-28k and with all the stuff that was stolen replaced, it was a great deal!

#22 · (Edited)

The project is coming along great! 5 days into the rebuild @ 14 hours a day. Heavy mods to the front bumper so the FMIC is more user friendly. The washer fluid bottle had to be reshaped due to spacing. The downpipe and headers were wrapped due to heat concerns. Sway bar installation put up a lil fight. Had a couple bolts break off when pulling the differential down which took a couple hours to fix. The turbo kit accidentally came with a 06 turbo oil line instead of an 07 version so that was quickly fixed. With all the upgrades the engine bay looked like a complex mess of wires so everything was neatly tucked away. All in all, a relatively smooth rebuild, still have a lot to do. Estimated time of completion is by next Wednesday!

#26 ·
Re: Perrin & Cosworth 07 STI Limited Updated! (2-11-13)

Wow, coming along nicely. How did I miss this thread?

More pictures, please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.