IW STi Forum banner

Automatic Sti's and Modding

22K views 66 replies 31 participants last post by  imma_stocker 
#1 ·
Good Day Subie Owners

My Satin pearl white Sti Will be Delivered Late September

i have been reading some threads

and it seems the Modding potential for the Automatic is close to 0 and there are 0 tuners here in Kuwait

so should i cancel my order?

#2 ·
YES. cancel your order now! DO NOT get an automatic, these cars arent meant to be automatic! Trust me, you want this in manual even if you cant drive a manual, they are amazing cars to leanr how to drive a manual in as well, they are really good at correcting your clutch mistakes and such when your learning (to a degree) I didnt even know they made the STI in automatic...

#16 ·
problem is im inlove with STI

i love how it looks and stock performance good

plan is/was, something in the 450-500 range
If you really think the stock power/car is good, which it is, then don't listen to other people's opinions.

If you really wont be happy with less than 500 Hp I suggest you get a different car. It's going to be a temperamental heap at that point.

#7 ·
Sti-q8, don't worry bud... it only sounds lame. :)
Once you have it tune by ThrottleHappy, I promise you, shes gonna fly! :D

After the tune, your STi will benefit from smoother shifting, better response, improved fuel economy, terrific performance. All this makes for a very competent and exciting daily driver - especially when having to deal with traffic.

The gearbox and stock tune are the only differences between the manual and automatic. The auto is truly an under rated vehicle. Don't judge it before you try it... especially once it has been successfully tuned. :tup:

#12 ·
Cheers MadVally :) Glad to hear your loving your car still!

I can get the 5 speed auto shifting as fast as a DSG(yes, I tune VAG and GTR too so I know how fast they shift)
For an example, here is a customer in Brazil with an SH9 Forester XT running my tune and a VF52 turbo(tuned on US87 gas and less than 17psi boost!!) with the 4 speed auto. Yeah, 0-62mph in 4 seconds flat(with an auto stalled launch) and 0-125mph in around 21 seconds. The late model 5 speed auto shifts even faster and I am sure MadVally can confirm that video represents just how quick it shifts!
forester xt 2010 - YouTube

bare in Mind im In Kuwait

how can i benefit from a tune? will an AP work?
was thinking exhaust intake as a step 1 but as i said there are no shops that are available
closest thing is in bahrain or UAE
EcuFlash works, you only need to buy a US$200 Tactrix from Tactrix and I can remote tune the car :)

#11 ·
Unfortunately Cobb does not have any software for the Automatic Sti's.

But all is not lost, many tuners (including ThrottleHappy) tune via email. All you require are a laptop equipped with RomRaider and Ecuflash tuning software and a Tactrix Cable.

Once you have the above, you good to go!

#19 · (Edited)
Why not learn how to drive manual? Do that and you will be an owner of a machine that has endless tuning capabilities.
Howver if you insist on buying an auto, then I would try to consider an evo ( woud never put my self in that position though) :), however its an easier target for your case.

By thee way am based in Dubai, and can help you source out parts if needed ( as an act of support), am not a tuner nor own a tuning place :)

But can help if needed.

Hsein

#20 ·
wrong car to get an auto. the sti is raw and you will not get the experience from it as an auto. get an auto Audi....

#29 ·
I would love an auto STI. Think about the stoplight to stoplight battles... untouchable! Just solid waves of torque, never a blown shift... Why do think serious drag racers use automatics?

I know it's heresy, but a CVT would be even better. Accelerating off the line, RPMs to max power, and hold.... no revving, just solid, steady acceleration. Cool.

#31 ·
IIRC the auto STi (not offered in the states) is a true dual clutch ie; DSG like what's found in the EVO MR, GT-R and many other cars. It is certainly NOT a traditional auto transmission like what most of us are familiar with. For the most part it is a dual clutch auto shifting transmission, not a slushbox. I would jump on one of those all day long, they shift faster than you can manually and if you go into 'manual mode' and use the paddles the shifting is very precise and controllable!

#35 ·
It is true that the transmission isn't as fast. And that it does limit the power. On one of the local shops here with a low reading dyno (dynojet, around ~30whp less of a dynapack) The baseline dyno of the A-Line was at 196whp, I currently forget the torque figures. And even with a full exhaust, intake, and ebs, it doesn't hit 300whp. And the torque reads less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.