IW STi Forum banner

Sabrewings' 2009 DGM STI (updated 05/27/2015, Gone but not forgotten)

GR Hatch: 
119K views 434 replies 75 participants last post by  Sabrewings 
#1 · (Edited)
Summary

2009 STI Dark Grey Metallic with the following factory options:

• Sport Grille
  • Factory Sub
  • Cargo net
  • Arm rest extension
  • Silver BBS
  • Fog Lights
  • Autodim compass mirror
  • iPod interface
Current mods

Engine
  • Tsudo Catless TBE
  • Accessport
  • Protune (316WHP/ 372WTQ)
  • Crawford Air/Oil Separator
  • KillerB oil pan
  • KillerB oil pickup
  • KillerB baffle
Drivetrain
  • KB Front shifter stay
  • KB Rear shifter stay
  • TiC Shifter pivot bushings
  • TiC Shifter u-joint bushings
  • Subaru Group N trans mount
  • Subaru Group N engine mounts
  • TiC crossmember bushing
  • Whiteline rear diff inserts
  • KartBoy pitchstop
Suspension and Steering
  • 24mm front Whiteline sway
  • 22mm rear Whiteline sway
  • Whiteline rear sway mount braces
  • KB endlinks all around
  • Whiteline Steering rack bushings
  • Whiteline rear subframe inserts
  • Power steering cooler
  • SuperPro trailing arm forward bushings
  • SuperPro rear lateral link inner bushings
Chassis Lightening
  • Seibon OEM style carbon fiber hood
  • Aerocatch hood latches
  • Shorai LiFePO4 battery (only 5 lbs)
  • Braille battery tie down
Wheels and Tires
  • Summer: 18x9.5 +44 Rota DPT with 265/35/18 Dunlop Direzza Z2
  • Winter: OEM BBS with 245/40/18 Blizzak LM-60
  • ATEQ Quickset TPMS for sensor IDs
Cosmetic and Convenience
  • 35% Tint
  • AVIC X920BT

Index

Post #1 - Summary/Index
Post #2 - History/Photos
Post #3 - Mods
Post #4 - Dyno day
Post #15 - Diff and Tranny fluid change
Post #18 - AVIC X920BT nav unit and Sumitomo HTR ZIII tires installed
Post #19 - Whiteline rear sway mount braces installed
Post #25 - Group N trans mount, TurninConcepts crossmember bushings, and shifter trunnion and pivot bushings all installed
Post #26 - Fender vent flap removed, Whiteline rear diff inserts and Whiteline rear subframe inserts installed
Post #62 - Crawford Air/Oil Separator, KartBoy Pitchstop, and t-bolt clamps for pressure side installed
Post #98 - Power Steering Cooler installed
Post #122 - Carbon Fiber hood installed with Aerocatch latches
Post #126 - Finished pics of Seibon hood and Aerocatch latches
Post #173 - Tigwerks motor mounts and KillerB oil products installed
Post #204 - Group N motor mounts installed
Post #223 - Shorai Lithium-iron Phosphate battery installed
Post #368 - Dr. Color Chip to the rescue!
Post #389 - Summer wheel/tire setup realized
Post #403 - SuperPro rear suspension bushings installed

Thanks for Looking at Alli! :wave:

Final update: Sold on 27 May 2015. Best of luck to the new owner.

Attachments

See less See more
#90 ·
Re: Sabrewings' 2009 Dark Grey Metallic STI - "Alli" (updated 3/20/2011)

Flapatax came off today. I like them, they do the job. But I don't like any mudflaps I've seen so far enough to wear them all the time. 10 minute job to remove, same for install. Very nice to have them hanging around.

#91 ·

Flapatax came off today. I like them, they do the job. But I don't like any mudflaps I've seen so far enough to wear them all the time. 10 minute job to remove, same for install. Very nice to have them hanging around.
I think that's a good move. Since it's trivial to reinstall, having them on just when needed makes sense because to be honest, I don't care for the looks of them. But if you know you're gonna be slingin' gravel, by all means, protect the paint!

#92 ·

Great journal with documentation and info. I have been looking into most of the bushings you have already installed. (and a couple suspension mods) So ill prob be checking back on this thread for reference. Everything came with good installation instructions? I will be getting the same brands as far as kartboy, WL, and TiC. Thanks

#93 · (Edited)

Great journal with documentation and info. I have been looking into most of the bushings you have already installed. (and a couple suspension mods) So ill prob be checking back on this thread for reference. Everything came with good installation instructions? I will be getting the same brands as far as kartboy, WL, and TiC. Thanks
Thanks! I don't really remember about instructions. Most of them have them on the respective manufacturer's website. Though, it's really not needed. For the most part they're self explanatory.

Whiteline's always come with instructions in the box that are a print out of what is available on their website.

#94 ·

Finally was oil change time today. Installed the Fumoto drain valve. I decided to use my better judgement and still use a crush washer behind the drain valve. Gives it a much better sealing surface for it's gasket and for sure seals against the pan as Subaru intended. No leaks after plenty of test driving today.

#98 ·

Not much in the way of major updates lately. About time for one. Power steering cooler was installed today. A before and after shot:

Props to hillhucker. I followed his install and it worked out pretty nice.

#100 · (Edited)
Re: Sabrewings' 2009 Dark Grey Metallic STI - "Alli" (updated 5/14/2011)

-(1) Derale cooler # 13309
-10 feet of 6 AN hose
-(2) AN #6 to 3/8 barb fittings
-(2) AN #6 90 degree fittings
-(1) AN #6 45 degree fitting
-(1) AN #6 0 degree fitting (straight)

You can do it with less parts if you do a barbed cooler instead of AN fittings. Also, you can make the brackets out of whatever you want. I picked up some aluminum stock from a local hardware store and cut and drilled it to work.

#101 ·

-(1) Derale cooler # 13309
-10 feet of 6 AN hose
-(2) AN #6 to 3/8 barb fittings
-(2) AN #6 90 degree fittings
-(1) AN #6 45 degree fitting
-(1) AN #6 0 degree fitting (straight)

You can do it with less parts if you do a barbed cooler instead of AN fittings. Also, you can make the brackets out of whatever you want. I picked up some aluminum stock from a local hardware store and cut and drilled it to work.
Thanks a bunch, I going to get a turbo blanket soon and probably this as well.

#103 ·

And the point of a power steering cooler is? Is there a known issue with Subarus or just under certain extreme conditions?
Since I track my car for 30 minutes or more at a time, I'd like to know...
If you take a peek under your hood and follow the power steering lines they get pretty close to the turbo set up.

People get noises coming from there power steering when it gets hot. A cooler will most likely vastly improve the life of your rack in general and make no stupid noise

#105 ·

Life has brought about circumstances to upgrade. Wasn't expecting to do this at this time, but I just dropped about a grand on the car. Can't wait for this to be done. :D

#106 ·

Thanks. I really like your journal so far. You put a lot of detail in and you've done the things that I think should be done to the car. Hopefully i can get started soon on my '09. Your post here has been a good guide.

#107 ·

Thanks. I really like your journal so far. You put a lot of detail in and you've done the things that I think should be done to the car. Hopefully i can get started soon on my '09. Your post here has been a good guide.
Thanks. I'm glad it's of use to you. :tup:

#113 ·

CF Hood. Did you wreck your car and need a replacement hood? That would be the only way I could justify it.

*ding ding*

I thought you might get it. No, my hood is fine. A branch did fall on the wife's hood, and she asked if she coudl have mine as a replacement. It's just a 2.5i, sure. But it's getting GTWorx shocks, yellows, STI/WRX spoiler (hatch), and an exhaust, so if she wants a hood scoop she can have one.

I ordered the OEM style Seibon hood. I really wanted dry carbon, but couldn't justify it. By justify it, I mean I couldn't justify it to the wife. :lol:

As you can see by the picture of the backing plates, I'm going to be using Aerocatch hood latches as well.

#115 · (Edited)

Keep me posted! I'm curious how your Aerocatch install will go. Did you go Flush, or Plus Flush ? I went Plus Flush (surface mount) for simplicity and a little more robust anchoring.

-Russ

#116 ·

I went with the Plus Flush locking type. If I get the hood painted, I'll have them paint the latch body as well so it'll look good and be very robust, as you pointed out.

#117 ·

Installed the hood over the weekend (after installing the Holy Shift kit in the wife's 2.5i). Also installed the Aerocatch latches (love them). I had to delete the OEM type latch because for some reason I was having to pry up the hood every time I popped it. Took a dremel to it and all is good. Pics to come.

#118 ·

Sweet, just saw my hood today when I dropped the car off for repair. I hope they don't have any issues installing it or the latches.

Looking forward to the pics.

-Russ

#119 ·

If you install where I and ge2 did, you have to really hack up the fiberglass underneath. The body is just too thick. Also you'll have to figure something out if you still have a TMIC for mounting the ducting. I'm going with drilling holes and using bolts.

You'll also have to bore out the windshield washer nozzle holes and make holes for all the clips that hold the tubing for the windshield washer. Overall it was a little bit of a pain, but I'm very happy with the results.

#120 ·

Well, hopefully the shop can figure it all out, otherwise I'll be doing some dremel work soon, lol.

I have a top mount, so I guess I'll be getting creative with the ductwork.

Can you pm me (or post up if you like) what you mean by the hacking and body being too thick? I'd really like to have an idea of what's entailed in case I need to explain it to the body shop.

Thanks for the inputs.

Pics!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.