IW STi Forum banner

Toyota?!?!? No!!!

Thoughts/Review/Comparison 
3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  guzie 
#1 ·
#2 ·
There is one great thing that could come from this partnership...

The STI could get Toyota's D-4S dual injection system (direct & port injection) like the BRZ has. This would improve efficiency, power, and significantly reduce carbon build-up & the need for walnut blasting.

Reactions: b18c5rjdm
#4 ·
I think it's bound to lose some of its character and "old school" charm regardless of whether they partner with Toyota.

I had a 2016 WRX with the FA20 before upgrading to a '19 STI. The FA is a great engine.

But.. with the FA engine we'll lose the rumble that so many love (or hate) as a trade off of the more efficient equal length, twin scroll header mated to a low-mount, twin scroll, ball bearing turbo.

We'll also lose the hydraulic power steering. EPS units can be great. I enjoyed the EPS while driving the BRZ & S2000. I didn't enjoy it so much in the WRX due to the slower ratio and damper/dampener used to isolate road feedback.

If we get a FA24, I predict 350 whp will easily be attainable with just an AP, flex fuel sensor, and tune.. no upgrading injectors or other hard parts. I imagine 400+ whp will be easily attainable with just basic bolt-ons (intake & turbo back exhaust).

We'll also see significantly better fuel economy. I was averaging better fuel economy in my WRX on E50 than I do in my STI. I easily achieved over 30 mpg on regular pump gas.

Typical maintenance like oil & spark plug changes are much easier with the FA.

Reactions: b18c5rjdm
#5 ·
This all just sounds too much like the path VW took with the R32/Golf R. Don't get me wrong, the current Golf R is fantastic (I currently daily one) but it has lost a lot of its charm and raw-ness, not to mention sound when compared to its older brother in the R32. I just hope this partnership doesn't get too tied up with fuel economy and technology aids, and forgets the true roots of the vehicle.

#6 ·
I think that's a fair comparison. But don't expect Golf R level refinement (interior quality, sound deadening, DSG, etc.) :lol:

I do hope that they retain some of its character and the rod shifted transmission. Hopefully they keep it reasonably priced as well. I can easily foresee the base model jumping to $40k+ based on the current market trends.

#11 ·
I don't understand the hate? unless you just hate Toyotas. I would LOVE a Toyobaru STi, not a re-badge, but a joint development. 4 cyl D-4S with 300+HP? sign me up!... only if they make a hatchback though. I've driven "raw" cars and super isolated cars, makes 0 difference to me, I can drive both just fine, as long as the suspension is dialed in with proper tires.

#13 ·
Me either. I’m happy with my latest one which is the 2019 STI. Plenty of space to haul stuff. Old EJ motor but cheap to work on and tons of aftermarket support. The 4 door is so much easier to haul tires to the track, haul the dog to the vet, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.