Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: DGM 17 STi
Fav Mod: Driver - Stage 1
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

CapedCrusader92 is on a distinguished road
Default Winter Storage Prep

Howdy Y'all -
I will be storing my STi over the winter this year to avoid the beloved Illinois road salt. I can't keep it in the garage at home, so I'll be renting a storage unit locally. Aside from putting fresh oil in, filling the gas tank, and running a few extra PSI in the tires, what should I do to make sure its ready to sit through a few months of cold? I doubt there will be an electrical outlet in the unit, so I plan on my battery being dead when I pick it up in the spring. Any input is appreciated.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-19, 06:35 AM   #2
b18c5rjdm
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: Absurd insurance rates
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

b18c5rjdm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Winter Storage Prep

Just disconnect the battery and it won't be dead in spring.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 11-05-19, 08:23 AM   #3
jdomarecki
Joined the Conversation

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jdomarecki is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard that you can pull the ignition fuse and crank for ~10 seconds once starting up after a few months to prime everything with oil. I'm in the same boat as you - haven't stored a car before and there's so much conflicting info online
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-19, 08:38 AM   #4
Leemanfor
Developing Advanced Mastery

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about

I'd take the battery with me and put it on a trickle charger at home if you're concerned with it dying.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 11-05-19, 09:07 AM   #5
CapedCrusader92
Contributor

Car: DGM 17 STi
Fav Mod: Driver - Stage 1
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

CapedCrusader92 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably just disconnect the battery but leave it in the engine bay. I'll jump it if I have to when I pick it up after winter.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-05-19, 09:15 AM   #6
mheyman
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Last 2 above -
+
fuel stabilizer such as Stabil.
Get weight off tires *IE jack stands) or use FlatStoppers.
Wouldn't hurt to crank it every few mo either

Storing a car is already going to cost you. Do it right

Taxes on a small car space in my unheated garage probably cost me $20/mo!
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.

I'm putting IAG back in here. Engine wise the car hase been trouble free for 56K. My STI is nearing the 60K minimum JJ led meto expect from a 2618 piston equipped block and it's still running strong.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-07-19, 10:35 AM   #7
bsowers2018
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Car: Crystal Black 2018
Fav Mod: being different and leaving it stock.......
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bsowers2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader92 View Post
Howdy Y'all -
I will be storing my STi over the winter this year to avoid the beloved Illinois road salt. I can't keep it in the garage at home, so I'll be renting a storage unit locally. Aside from putting fresh oil in, filling the gas tank, and running a few extra PSI in the tires, what should I do to make sure its ready to sit through a few months of cold? I doubt there will be an electrical outlet in the unit, so I plan on my battery being dead when I pick it up in the spring. Any input is appreciated.
You should be good with this plan. Gas doesn't go bad anymore anyway. Start it a couple times and maybe take it out if it's nice. But what's the point of a Subaru if you don't have fun in the winter? Maybe get a solar battery maintainer. I bought one on amazon for 40 bucks. I love buying motorcycles in the spring that have been "winterized" with fuel "stabilizer". Makes the gas worthless and they wont run right.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-07-19, 12:31 PM   #8
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c5rjdm View Post
Just disconnect the battery and it won't be dead in spring.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdomarecki View Post
I've heard that you can pull the ignition fuse and crank for ~10 seconds once starting up after a few months to prime everything with oil. I'm in the same boat as you - haven't stored a car before and there's so much conflicting info online
Press the throttle to 100% and crank and it will cut the injectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
fuel stabilizer such as Stabil.
This.

I store cars all the time... Sometimes, not on purpose. The most I've ever done is put fuel stabilizer in. I will hold the throttle open and crank to prime the motor with oil, but that's about it.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-07-19, 04:14 PM   #9
mheyman
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

I stated using fuel stabilize in any fuel that might sit over 3 mo when it cost a me a new Holley for my (1985 )boat and and yearly carburetor cleanings on several yard tools. Using it ended the issue.

The old school boat gets storage oil sprayed in to carb while running till it stalls. To oil an STI you have to pull the plugs. Can't say I would for a single winter, but if it were going to be years I would. If you do that you don't turn it over till the end of storage,
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.

I'm putting IAG back in here. Engine wise the car hase been trouble free for 56K. My STI is nearing the 60K minimum JJ led meto expect from a 2618 piston equipped block and it's still running strong.

Last edited by mheyman; 11-07-19 at 04:18 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-07-19, 06:47 PM   #10
Pault1
Becoming A Contributor

Car: White STI '06 auto-x
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Pault1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If possible try to find non-ethanol gas for your last tank-ful. I have had good luck with fuel stabilizers, another project car sat for a year plus with stabilizer and the gas was not bad, but the ethanol blends are still more subject to collecting water and also going bad. You're right about it being a full tank, the less air in there the less condensation can form.

What mheyman said about tires wasn't a bad idea either, especially for performance tires. If you have summer tires you don't want to store them under load (or drive on them, or mount/dismount) in sub-freezing temperatures. All seasons are not as affected by the cold.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement