IW STi Forum banner

Any measurable advantage to running EWG w/ stock turbo?

Engine 
13K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Noximus 
#1 ·
Title says it. I can't imagine that there is, but I'm sure people have some real world thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
With EBC a little faster response and no danger of over-boost with other mods.

Not enough to really justify it though . . .

#3 ·
It really depends on what your goals are and the setup you're using.

EWGs do reduce post turbo backpressure, as well as reduce exhaust gas flow turbulence; the primary benefit being on the exit side.

If you want to eek as much performance out of the stock turbo setup, EWGs will definitely be a mod worth considering, as it will most definitely make more measurable power. Of course how much is going to be based on several factors.

From a safety standpoint, EWGs should eliminate any possibility of boost creep and open up more safety headroom from a WG duty cycle standpoint.

The sound differences are significant. This is what pushes many away from going EWG. They are extremely loud when you're (generally) above or near WG spring pressure. Below this point the car will be about as loud as non-EWG. For me and how I run our setups, that generally means I can run up to ~12-14psi of boost before any additional EWG sound comes alive. So for 'normal' and even light spirited driving the car still scoots pretty well. Boost levels higher than that it will start to whistle and then as boost builds further (full spool) it will roar.

#4 ·
Our turbo is known to boost creep once you start flowing more through it mainly due to the wastegate size and design. An EWG would prevent that but I'm not sure the benefits would be worth the cost. You could use that money towards an upgraded turbo with a better IWG. If you are looking for sound that's more subjective.

#6 ·
It depends on what you're hoping to accomplish. Eliminate boost creep or make more power?

I wouldn't go for an EWG for the noise alone.

If you want to keep the stock turbo, I vote for having the turbine housing and wastegate entrance ported.. a little more power, reduce the chances of boost creep, and keep the noise manageable.

As KillerB explained, the EWG will make more power if you're okay with the noise and the added cost/complexity. I'd vote for upgrading the turbo at that point though.

#10 ·
Im on stock turbo and have been using EWG for years. Boost creep is inevitable here in the colder months of the northeast and EWG serves its purpose of boost control. I will say that when i went from IWG -> EWG the car grealty changed the way it boosted. So much more repsonive and precise, almost like it was immediate.

Yes EWG with open dump is LOUD. So loud that you wont here your exhaust (or anything else) when its open. I will say that it does sounds pretty badass but it can also be annoying at times. It will pretty much force you to behave unless you want to be noticed lol. I think of it as a great excuse to stay out of boost. Either way, you will have to change your driving habbits when running EWG.

#13 · (Edited)
Im on stock turbo and have been using EWG for years. Boost . . . the car grealty changed the way it boosted. So much more repsonive and precise, almost like it was immediate. . . . Yes EWG with open dump is LOUD. So loud that you wont here your exhaust (or anything else) when its open. . . . you will have to change your driving habbits when running EWG.
Yes and not particuarlay useful for many. I feel like my car attracts to much attention with an EWG routed back into my exhaust.

I know. That's additional crap to work around and a future crack. IWG is just easier.
Yes it is another PITA to work around even with a lift. I have to say, thought that a Tial WG is one of the most impressive parts on my car. It's made so well and has held up the same. IAG did a beautiful job with the implementation. Welds look great even today after 4 1/2 years. Mine is routed back ahead of the cat - which makes it "more" legal and even quieter.

#14 ·
Well there are cheap ways to do it, and they are notorious for cracking.

To do it right, WAY more expensive sometimes. Our FA20WRX turbo kit with recirc is ungodly expensive because it has 2 double slip joints, several elbows & straight tubes, collector, flex section, v-band connection, plus all the fab work. It's 8 hours in labor just for the recirculated dump(s)!

#16 ·
Yep... I am completely happy with IWG's. None of that is worth it to me. I know they can be made very well, I'll still shy away from them.

I hated messing with the EWG on my car when it was a dump tube. The added complexity just doesn't seem worth it. I could have saved myself some like $700 had I never done one in the first place.

We have 2 one the SHO, but the dumped 4.5" exhaust already drowns out the EWG's. :p

#17 ·
I'm about to see what EWG's are like. Garrett GTX 3582R going into a 4 inch downpipe with the wastegate feeding back into the DP.
I'm using SS flex pipe (welded on) and all V-bands, rather than the flexible couplings with braid on the outside to connect the wastegate to the DP. I've had those fail too quickly on headers.

I now feel I should have used a slip joint.

I worry the flex pipe will not last.
What do others use to reconnect to the DP? Solid is damn near impossible. I did that with one.

#18 ·
added ELH, TMIC and EWG to my E85 tuned stock turbo car recently and didn’t see a huge bump in power but better response and power delivery. The EWG is obnoxiously loud but only when you choose it to be. Would never daily drive this car anymore.

#19 · (Edited)
Use a pipe meant to be welded - IE solid at the ends.

Added: Oh, I realize it's done. Yes I meant some for of bellows.
Oh well. don't fret. Unless you have time and money, fix it when it needs to be fixed . . .

#23 ·
Surely - and they are adjustable - not that I've ever owned one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.