Engine Any measurable advantage to running EWG w/ stock turbo? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Any measurable advantage to running EWG w/ stock turbo?
Any measurable advantage to running EWG w/ stock turbo?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Engine Any measurable advantage to running EWG w/ stock turbo?

Old 10-29-19, 04:47 AM   #1
PNash
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

PNash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any measurable advantage to running EWG w/ stock turbo?

Title says it. I can't imagine that there is, but I'm sure people have some real world thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-19, 05:11 AM   #2
mheyman
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Any measurable advantage to running EWG w/ stock turbo?

With EBC a little faster response and no danger of over-boost with other mods.

Not enough to really justify it though . . .
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-29-19, 05:25 AM   #3
killerbmotorsport
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Car: Blue 05 WRX STi
Fav Mod: It's all good
My Subaru Parts for sale

killerbmotorsport is a glorious beacon of lightkillerbmotorsport is a glorious beacon of lightkillerbmotorsport is a glorious beacon of lightkillerbmotorsport is a glorious beacon of lightkillerbmotorsport is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNash View Post
Title says it. I can't imagine that there is, but I'm sure people have some real world thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It really depends on what your goals are and the setup you're using.

EWGs do reduce post turbo backpressure, as well as reduce exhaust gas flow turbulence; the primary benefit being on the exit side.

If you want to eek as much performance out of the stock turbo setup, EWGs will definitely be a mod worth considering, as it will most definitely make more measurable power. Of course how much is going to be based on several factors.

From a safety standpoint, EWGs should eliminate any possibility of boost creep and open up more safety headroom from a WG duty cycle standpoint.

The sound differences are significant. This is what pushes many away from going EWG. They are extremely loud when you're (generally) above or near WG spring pressure. Below this point the car will be about as loud as non-EWG. For me and how I run our setups, that generally means I can run up to ~12-14psi of boost before any additional EWG sound comes alive. So for 'normal' and even light spirited driving the car still scoots pretty well. Boost levels higher than that it will start to whistle and then as boost builds further (full spool) it will roar.

OEM Oil Pickup Failures vs. The Ultimate Oil Pickup

World's Best Performing Air Oil Separator

Brushed Delrin Shift knobs - Grab Our Knobs - It's Good Shift! CLICK HERE!
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-19, 08:07 AM   #4
VA STI
Advanced Contributor Level 4

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

VA STI will become famous soon enough

Our turbo is known to boost creep once you start flowing more through it mainly due to the wastegate size and design. An EWG would prevent that but I'm not sure the benefits would be worth the cost. You could use that money towards an upgraded turbo with a better IWG. If you are looking for sound that's more subjective.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-29-19, 08:54 AM   #5
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

I like the benefits of an EWG, but the noise alone is why I would never run one again. Even my race car uses an IWG as I don't want to listen to it for 20 minutes at a time.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-29-19, 09:35 AM   #6
STINick19
Advanced Contributor Level 2

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STINick19 will become famous soon enough

It depends on what you're hoping to accomplish. Eliminate boost creep or make more power?

I wouldn't go for an EWG for the noise alone.

If you want to keep the stock turbo, I vote for having the turbine housing and wastegate entrance ported.. a little more power, reduce the chances of boost creep, and keep the noise manageable.

As KillerB explained, the EWG will make more power if you're okay with the noise and the added cost/complexity. I'd vote for upgrading the turbo at that point though.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-29-19, 10:46 AM   #7
bsowers2018
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Car: Crystal Black 2018
Fav Mod: being different and leaving it stock.......
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bsowers2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
I like the benefits of an EWG, but the noise alone is why I would never run one again. Even my race car uses an IWG as I don't want to listen to it for 20 minutes at a time.
You mean everyone doesn't want to sound like every Focus ST out there? They all seem to have them, must be really easy to do on those...……...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-29-19, 11:19 AM   #8
killerbmotorsport
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Car: Blue 05 WRX STi
Fav Mod: It's all good
My Subaru Parts for sale

killerbmotorsport is a glorious beacon of lightkillerbmotorsport is a glorious beacon of lightkillerbmotorsport is a glorious beacon of lightkillerbmotorsport is a glorious beacon of lightkillerbmotorsport is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsowers2018 View Post
You mean everyone doesn't want to sound like every Focus ST out there? They all seem to have them, must be really easy to do on those...……...
You could say the same thing about most ratted out bugeye owners. So are they too loud or am I too old

OEM Oil Pickup Failures vs. The Ultimate Oil Pickup

World's Best Performing Air Oil Separator

Brushed Delrin Shift knobs - Grab Our Knobs - It's Good Shift! CLICK HERE!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-29-19, 11:25 AM   #9
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Yes.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-29-19, 06:22 PM   #10
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about

Im on stock turbo and have been using EWG for years. Boost creep is inevitable here in the colder months of the northeast and EWG serves its purpose of boost control. I will say that when i went from IWG -> EWG the car grealty changed the way it boosted. So much more repsonive and precise, almost like it was immediate.

Yes EWG with open dump is LOUD. So loud that you wont here your exhaust (or anything else) when its open. I will say that it does sounds pretty badass but it can also be annoying at times. It will pretty much force you to behave unless you want to be noticed lol. I think of it as a great excuse to stay out of boost. Either way, you will have to change your driving habbits when running EWG.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement