IW STi Forum banner

S209 Driving Impressions will be out Today...........

Thoughts/Review/Comparison 
94K views 487 replies 50 participants last post by  S2000_Europe 
#1 ·
Reactions: b18c5rjdm
#5 ·
The forged pistons were a huge selling point.

I just went to re-read Subaru's press release from back in January and the link is dead now. It worked a couple weeks ago.. Even the link from Subaru's website is bad. I wonder if this is one of the reasons they pulled it.

Subaru U.S. Media Center

#4 · (Edited)
It's a bummer that there won't be forged pistons. I wonder if this means that it's the same internals as the RA/19+ STI?

Subaru had to quash its ambitious plans for forged pistons and connecting rods, due to potential durability concerns that the company now suspects was a non-issue. Nevertheless, Subaru ultimately decided to take no chances with this special, high-profile car, and went with cast components instead, with no resulting loss in horsepower.
New upper "rear draw stiffener" with a cherry blossom cover?

The top handling priority was to reduce the WRX’s “hysteresis,” a fancy engineering term for the time lag between turning the steering wheel and the car’s attendant reaction. Subaru says the S209’s steering yaw response is 15% better than even the Type RA, itself a veritable waterbug of a sedan. So-called “draw stiffeners,” developed on the brand’s Nürburgring racers, connect the lower front suspension arms to the body crossmember. A sophisticated, flexible front tower bar improves cornering and straight-line stability. Another damped draw stiffener again preloads the rear suspension for faster steering response and improved cornering force. There’s a new rear subframe brace, and spherical suspension joints that increase the tire contact patch by as much as 20 percent under duress. Bilstein dampers, stiffer in compression but softer in rebound vs. the Type RA, mate with 10-mm lowering springs.

There's a second flexible draw stiffener in the trunk, too, protected by a pink bar so that owners don't accidentally smack the thing when loading up the trunk.

The pink bar itself doesn't do anything other than protect the actual draw stiffener behind it. Better safe than sorry.
Lots of bracing. Hopefully some of these "JDM" Subaru Japan parts will be cheaper now they'll be available via local dealers in the US.

The 2019 Subaru WRX STI S209 Has So Much Grip Even Race Car Drivers Struggle To Get It Sideways

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/subaru/wrx/2019/2019-subaru-wrx-sti-s209-review/

2019 Subaru WRX STI S209 is a bona fide track star - Roadshow

2019 Subaru STI S209 First Drive: S Marks the Spot

#8 ·
I noted they pulled the forged internals and pretty much checked out afterwards. There's no doubt this will be a special STi, without a doubt, but I definitely am disheartened to hear they elected to do so.

To me, this is clearly an attempt to keep the cost of the car down and I genuinely expect the S209 to check in around $60k and the markups will most like start between $5-10k - easy.

All 209 will be gone faster than I even want to try and comprehend.

#10 ·
There's an RA in SC, about 3 hours from me. 3 miles on it.
I told my local dealer to call me immediately after the truck gets there with their S209.
Now I'm kinda doubting myself from getting it. I remember all the people that spent big money on the RA only to find out the regular STi was extremely similar.

#12 ·
There was someone that recently purchased a used Type RA with 5k miles for ~$42k. I'd definitely go that route to save some money.. especially if you have any intention of modifying. You can always buy the S209's chassis bracing if you really want it. Throw on some better tires and you probably won't notice much of a difference.

The S209 will still sell out quickly because of its name and rarity.

#18 · (Edited)
The RA and 19+ STI have the same internals.. at least the short block. Subaru specified that the RA has sodium filled exhaust valves, but didn't mention that for the 19+ STI engine.

The valve set part #s are different for 2019.. both from the '18 STI & '18 Type RA.

2018 STI
11018AA500
11019AA500

2018 Type RA
11018AA910
11019AA500

2019 STI
11018AA930
11019AA970

#20 ·
"Subaru had to quash its ambitious plans for forged pistons and connecting rods, due to potential durability concerns that the company now suspects was a non-issue. Nevertheless, Subaru ultimately decided to take no chances with this special, high-profile car, and went with cast components instead, with no resulting loss in horsepower."

What does that even mean? They thought forged pistons would be a problem, now they don't, but they went with cast anyway? I assume the rods are still forged... WTF is Subaru doing? This car needs to have forged internals.

#24 ·
The only logical reason why they wouldn't is due to the increased costs and most likely the amount of time that'd be required to build 209 blocks by hand.

I don't believe this had anything to do with people alleging it was the CARB/ EPA; AMG uses forged pistons in their motors and they've been doing so for years - CA included, so it really just looks like a cost cutting measure.

Subaru probably saw the S209 approaching a price point that would put it in direct competition with cars it can't compete with. A $70k S209 is in a tough place to compete with 'only' 341 "maximum hp" and it'll most likely struggle on CA 91.

#32 · (Edited)
Captured some pictures from Driving Sports TV's review of the S209. Most of these special handling bits are already available from Japan with the exception of the rear flexible draw stiffener setup in the trunk.

Underneath in the back you have the lateral link set, flexible subframe support, and 20mm rear sway bar (from '15-17 WRX/STI).

LATERAL LINK SET : WRX STI(VA)|PERFORMANCE PARTS|STI
FLEXIBLE SUPPORT SUB FRAME R : WRX STI(VA)|PERFORMANCE PARTS|STI

In the trunk, you have the new rear flexible draw stiffener.

Up front, you have the flexible tower bar up top and the flexible draw stiffeners underneath.

FLEXIBLE TOWER BAR F : WRX STI(VA)|PERFORMANCE PARTS|STI
FLEXIBLE DRAW STIFFENER F : WRX STI(VA)|PERFORMANCE PARTS|STI
SUPPORT F KIT : WRX STI(VA)|PERFORMANCE PARTS|STI

The Bilstein yellow struts and JDM pink 10mm lowering springs.

The JDM STI brake pads.

BRAKE PAD SET F : WRX STI(VA)|PERFORMANCE PARTS|STI

Hopefully some dealers will carry these parts in the US now and they'll be cheaper to buy locally rather than shipping from Japan.

#33 ·
Also spotted a peak boost display of 21 psi (rated at 18.9). The press cars may be tuned differently, but it's not common to see 1-2 psi higher than what Subaru publishes.

#34 · (Edited)
Some S209 exhaust clips:

It has the same exhaust used on the S207 & S208. It appears that it uses the same resonated midpipe as the Type RA and 19+ STI. It's only available as a complete kit with the mufflers and midpipe for the low price of $2,000 + shipping from Japan.

Part#: STPKG40VV011
STI PERFORMANCE EXHAUST KIT S207 STYLE(STPKG40VV011 + 44011SG000x2 + 44022AA123 + 902350001x4 + 802008270x2) | JDM Japanparts.com | VAB
エキゾーストキット:WRX STI(VA)|パフォーマンスパーツ|STI

Jalopnik comments:
...the S209 has a new “low-restriction exhaust,” according to Subaru. While it might reduce backpressure and help with performance in one way or another it just... isn’t loud enough. Come on, guys. This thing is just begging for more brap.
Speaking of the noise... the tweaked exhaust on the S209 really isn’t very special at all.. It’s only loud for the rear passengers, and while its note from the exterior or the driver’s seat isn’t bad by any margin, it has no real special character or quality over a standard STI.

#40 · (Edited)
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-subaru-wrx-sti-s209-power-torque-details/
Where the 341-HP 2019 Subaru WRX STI S209’s Power/Torque Boost Comes From
The story behind the STI S209’s horsepower and torque engine specs

The 2019 Subaru WRX STI Type RA's engine is already highly strung, so squeezing an extra 31 hp and 40 lb-ft out of it took considerable doing. One upgrade STI investigated long and hard was forged pistons, but in the end the Type RA's cast pistons ended up proving more durable. The following revisions contribute about 20 of the roughly 90 pounds the S209 gains over the Type RA.

Read our review right here.
  • No more power could be coaxed from the RA's turbo, so STI worked with HKS to develop a larger unit. The turbine wheel diameter increases from 53 to 56mm, and the compressor wheel grows from 60 to 65mm. Boost jumps from 16.2 psi to 18.9 psi (and if our test car's boost gauge is to be believed, it registered just over 20 psi for a brief moment).
  • To improve the performance of the intercooler lurking just beneath that hood scoop, two sprayers in the scoop deliver a two-second blast of distilled water at the press of a repurposed steering wheel shift paddle. A 3.7-liter tank resides in the trunk.
  • Fuel injector volume and fuel pump capacity are both increased by 20 percent.
  • A conical air filter and straighter, larger-diameter intake ducting reduce pressure loss by 25 percent while improving induction noise.
  • The mufflers reduce back pressure by 17 percent relative to the Type RA (which is already 50 percent less restrictive than the basic WRX STI) and deliver a sportier sound. The shiny exhaust tips are also larger in diameter and polished by craftsmen in Japan's Tsubame-Sanjo region, known for producing cutlery and polished iPhone cases.
  • Sodium-filled exhaust valves with stronger springs carried over from the S208 (as are the flywheel and clutch, though the latter boasts a different disc material and a 10 percent stronger clutch spring).
  • All rotating parts are carefully mass-balanced, ensuring the pistons in each engine weigh the same to prevent vibration.
  • The engine control unit is remapped for more power.
    [*]Motul synthetic fluids are borrowed from the racing program (300V 5W-40 in the engine).
It appears the S209 will use the Type RA/19+ STI block.

Reactions: b18c5rjdm
#43 ·
That's what I'm planning to do myself; I can't help thinking like the S210 will be the one to get, with Subaru insisting the S209 be a 2019. That leaves the door open for one last halo model STi and I think it'll be the S210.

Of course I could be way off base and we end up getting nothing, or some other lame "series" whatever, but I think we'll see something unique and I truly believe it'll have made all the waiting worth it.

In the meanwhile, I've got a Type RA and have nothing to complain about - life is good.

#45 ·
Just curious, do you still plan to move forward with your S209 purchase despite the lack of forged pistons?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.