Build Plans Need advice, Do I need a complete new fuel system if I want to run Tomei UEH? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Need advice, Do I need a complete new fuel system if I want to run Tomei UEH?
Need advice, Do I need a complete new fuel system if I want to run Tomei UEH?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Build Thread Need advice, Do I need a complete new fuel system if I want to run Tomei UEH?

Old 08-25-19, 07:49 AM   #1
subaru2015sti
Joined the Conversation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

subaru2015sti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need advice, Do I need a complete new fuel system if I want to run Tomei UEH?

So I've had my 2015 sti for a little over 2 years bare bone stock since, recently I have decided to add more rumble to it, I plan on getting a catted DP, catback exhaust, but I also want to get UEH(Tomei) and of course get it tuned. Someone told me that if i want to run headers i need a new fuel system (fuel pump, FPR, fuel rails, and fuel injectors). Is this true?

Last edited by subaru2015sti; 08-25-19 at 07:55 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-19, 03:25 AM   #2
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Need advice, Do I need a complete new fuel system if I want to run Tomei UEH?

The answer to your question is yes and no Lol. Those parts aren't mandatory for UELH but will really complement it when you have the car tuned. With your current plan of mods, you really should upgrade your fuel pump since it will be approaching its "limit" so to speak. I do not think you will need fuel rails and FPR given your planned power level. Fuel injectors are a big argument on here in terms of if they will be needed or not. I would say so considering your injector duty cycle be pretty high at this point. If you are going to get the car tuned then i would high recommend trying to get as much power out of the car as safely as you can.

The best thing to do is to consult your tuner and see what they say. Make a goal/game plan and go about achieving it. Why are you going for UELH over ELH? There are so many benefits of running ELH compared to UELH. With the right set up, ELH can sound really good and still have some of the rumble.

I think you should go for:
Intake
Catback
Downpipe
ELH
Fuel Pump
Injectors
ECBS
Protune.

Last edited by Jay11STI; 08-26-19 at 03:36 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-26-19, 04:45 AM   #3
adamfl
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: DO IT!, DO IT!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

adamfl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need advice, Do I need a complete new fuel system if I want to run Tomei UEH?

ELH for the win.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-19, 06:15 AM   #4
STINick19

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STINick19 is on a distinguished road

Those mods won't technically require fuel system upgrades. But it certainly won't hurt if you plan to push the car further in the future.

Personally, I'd rather invest in an ELH or keep the stock header. You probably won't see significant enough gains with an aftermarket unequal length header to justify the cost & install time (at your power level). You'll have plenty of rumble with the stock header mated to the new downpipe & catback.

The ELH is more efficient (balances backpressure & improves volumetric efficiency), produces more 'top-end' power, and can even be considered a 'reliability mod' (reduces cylinder temperature variations between the individual cylinders in hopes of preventing ringland failure).

I think you may be better off investing in a flex fuel kit & fuel system upgrades if you want to keep the rumble and E85 is available where you live.

Last edited by STINick19; 08-26-19 at 06:52 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-26-19, 06:50 PM   #5
subaru2015sti
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

subaru2015sti is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re:Need advice, Do I need a complete new fuel system if I want to run Tomei UEH?

thanks guys, I now have a clear idea how to do this. I got the UEL Headers already i bought them impulsively on rallysport since they were on sale.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-30-19, 09:30 AM   #6
jlewis92683

Car: 08 Aspen White STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jlewis92683 is an unknown quantity at this point

With those mods you can get away with not upgrading the fuel system but larger injectors and pump are highly recommended. I had a similar setup except with an ELH. my injector duty cycles were at 97% and I had a massive power dip after 5200 RPMs as to not lean out.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-30-19, 09:45 AM   #7
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

LOL, 97% is nothing. In fact, it's probably not even 80% of what the injector can do. The "massive power dip" is likely the small stock turbo falling off.

I would upgrade the fuel pump and FPR before the injectors.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement