Engine [Help] 2016 STI Stuttering After Maintenance - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
[Help] 2016 STI Stuttering After Maintenance
[Help] 2016 STI Stuttering After Maintenance
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Engine [Help] 2016 STI Stuttering After Maintenance

Old 08-13-19, 11:46 AM   #1
idle918
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

idle918 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default [Help] 2016 STI Stuttering After Maintenance

Hi all,

So basically took my car to the dealership yesterday for an oil change and they found a coolant leak. They removed the intercooler to diagnose/fix the leak. Today the car starts sputtering when I WOT or go high in boost/rpms. I am not really sure what to do or how to fix the issue. It was running perfectly fine before I took it in for maintenance.

Car Info:
44k Miles
Mods:
Catback exhaust
Downpipe
Perrin EBCS
DW65 FP
1000cc ID Injectors
Cobb Intake with Box
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-19, 01:26 PM   #2
jamesWRmica
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: 2016 CWP Limited STI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jamesWRmica has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: [Help] 2016 STI Stuttering After Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle918 View Post
Hi all,

So basically took my car to the dealership yesterday for an oil change and they found a coolant leak. They removed the intercooler to diagnose/fix the leak. Today the car starts sputtering when I WOT or go high in boost/rpms. I am not really sure what to do or how to fix the issue. It was running perfectly fine before I took it in for maintenance.

Car Info:
44k Miles
Mods:
Catback exhaust
Downpipe
Perrin EBCS
DW65 FP
1000cc ID Injectors
Cobb Intake with Box
look for intercooler piping leaks at the couplers.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-13-19, 01:36 PM   #3
VA STI

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

VA STI will become famous soon enough

Bring it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it? If the intercooler was the only thing they touched then there's gonna be a leak at the turbo outlet or at the intake manifold. Also why are you bringing a modified Subaru to the dealership for an oil change?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-19, 03:24 AM   #4
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA STI View Post
Bring it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it? If the intercooler was the only thing they touched then there's gonna be a leak at the turbo outlet or at the intake manifold. Also why are you bringing a modified Subaru to the dealership for an oil change?

I agree with this

This could all be circumstantial but i would bring it back to the dealership. Its possible something is loose or not sitting right. Its also possible its something completly unrelated and again just pure circumstantial. Like stated before, why are you bringing your modded sti to the dealer for oil changes?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-14-19, 03:51 AM   #5
drummerboy
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: 17 STI SportTech WRB
Fav Mod: Tightening the nut behind the wheel
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

drummerboy is an unknown quantity at this point

^ does it even matter why he's bringing a modded car for an oil change? I've done it in the past when I don't have the time and i can work while its getting done. If he brought it in to fix the modded-out things I'd have reservations... but its just an oil change.

OP it is most likely a leak dealing with air coming in... could be damaged pipe/hose, loose clamp, loose hose etc. If there's nothing you can find yourself, bring it back to them, but you also stand the chance of them finding nothing and they can blame your mods.

Last edited by drummerboy; 08-14-19 at 03:56 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-14-19, 04:24 AM   #6
idle918
Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Because its 100 degrees outside with like 80% humidity? I also moved so no subie shops near me anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
^ does it even matter why he's bringing a modded car for an oil change? I've done it in the past when I don't have the time and i can work while its getting done. If he brought it in to fix the modded-out things I'd have reservations... but its just an oil change.

OP it is most likely a leak dealing with air coming in... could be damaged pipe/hose, loose clamp, loose hose etc. If there's nothing you can find yourself, bring it back to them, but you also stand the chance of them finding nothing and they can blame your mods.
Yeah I am taking it back today, it would be pretty bullshit if they tried to blame my mods, but I could see them doing it also.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-14-19, 09:03 AM   #7
VA STI

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
It matters because if anything goes wrong including the dealership damaging your car when they do unannounced "fixes" then they can just blame it on your mods and deny responsibility. This is on top of the outrageous prices dealerships charge for doing an oil change compared to an independent shop. Although the OP mentioned he moved so finding a shop that you trust could be tough.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-17-19, 03:10 PM   #8
idle918
Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
It matters because if anything goes wrong including the dealership damaging your car when they do unannounced "fixes" then they can just blame it on your mods and deny responsibility. This is on top of the outrageous prices dealerships charge for doing an oil change compared to an independent shop. Although the OP mentioned he moved so finding a shop that you trust could be tough.
Yeah I used to live in NoVA so I normally went to IAG or Mach V for maint or any work being done.

They found out that I am only getting like 14 PSI or something like that and they said they want to do an engine tear down to see what the root cause of the failure. The guy said there is a 50/50 chance of Subaru covering the short block and if they don't I have to cover the $1500 cost...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-19-19, 06:36 AM   #9
VA STI

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle918 View Post
Yeah I used to live in NoVA so I normally went to IAG or Mach V for maint or any work being done.

They found out that I am only getting like 14 PSI or something like that and they said they want to do an engine tear down to see what the root cause of the failure. The guy said there is a 50/50 chance of Subaru covering the short block and if they don't I have to cover the $1500 cost...
WTF why would you have to pay to fix it if they broke it doing work? Did you check the clamps on the intercooler? Try resetting the ECU as well. Not boosting past 14 PSI doesn't indicate a block issue at all. None of this makes sense. This dealer seems to be rinsing you for money. I highly doubt the block is bad.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-19-19, 09:32 AM   #10
b18c5rjdm
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: Absurd insurance rates
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

b18c5rjdm is on a distinguished road

I agree, this sounds suspect as hell. If you can't find it, find another place.
This is the very reason they are called "Stealerships".

Where do you live now?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement