Thoughts/Review/Comparison 2021 STI - next gen wishlist - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2021 STI - next gen wishlist
2021 STI - next gen wishlist
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Thoughts/Review/Comparison 2021 STI - next gen wishlist

Old 08-06-19, 09:00 AM   #1
STINick19
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STINick19 is on a distinguished road
Default 2021 STI - next gen wishlist

Being that the next gen STI should be announced later this year..
  • What do you hope to see with the next generation STI?
  • What would it need to have for you trade-in your current STI?
  • What do you think we'll actually get from Subaru?
I hope that Subaru uses their knowledge, along with what the aftermarket have learned, from the BRZ & WRX to improve upon the FA platform. The aftermarket has shown how far this engine can be pushed and how well it responds to ethanol.

Wish List:

Engine:
  • FA24 engine
  • Stronger rods than the WRX's FA20DIT. This seems to be the weak point over 350 lb-ft. Forged rods and pistons would be great, but won't happen.
  • Dual injection (direct & port) from the BRZ that allows for high RPM power, higher redline & minimizes carbon build-up (this is unlikely since Toyota designed the D-4S dual injection system)
  • BRZ-like intake manifold & heads to improve airflow at higher RPMs
  • More aggressive cams than the WRX to improve high RPM power (I'm okay with the added turbo lag)
  • Twin scroll, equal length header w/ a larger ball bearing turbo to improve high RPM power (again, I'm okay with more turbo lag). They could throw in some billet/titanium compressor/turbine wheels as well
  • Improved oiling system - lack of oil flow and pressure at high RPMs is an issue for the BRZ & WRX. Need an oil cooler and oil pan baffling for track days.
  • Flex fuel capability from the factory (definitely won't happen, but I can dream ). The stock fuel injection system on the WRX works pretty well for flex fuel, even at higher power levels, but has issues with ethanol mixes above E60..
Misc:
  • Hatchback option of course!
  • EPS similar to the BRZ (yes, we'll lose the hydraulic PS and I'm not a huge fan of the WRX EPS)
  • Adaptive/active/magnetic suspension
  • Lighter wheels & better tires - I really hope that they don't go to 20". The 19" wheels already weigh 28.4 lbs. Going to a wheel closer to 20 lbs would help quite a bit. They could also throw on some Michelin PS4S from the factory
  • Active exhaust & exhaust tuning to make it sound better since we're losing the rumble by going ELH. A titanium exhaust would be a nice way to shed some extra weight
  • Brake ducts
  • Higher redline closer to 7,500 RPM
  • Launch control, no-lift shift, optional rev match, etc.
  • Highway fuel economy closer to 30 mpg
  • Base price around $40k is probably likely.. although I'd be willing to pay a bit more depending on what we actually get.
The drivetrain is fine and they can keep it as-is to save some money.

I care more about the driving experience that the car offers, but below are some specs that would probably help sell the car:
  • HP: 350-400 (flex fuel should easily push it to 350-400whp with minimal modifications if it's anything like the FA20DIT)
  • 0-60: at least in the 4 sec range
  • 1/4 mile: at least in the mid to high 12 sec range
Reality:
I expect that we'll see very little of this. Probably just a slightly tuned version of the FA24 with a larger turbo making ~320-350 hp. I think the aftermarket will still be able to push the engine pretty far as long as it comes with stronger rods than the FA20 and the pistons aren't a weak point given the 8mm larger bore.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-19, 09:24 AM   #2
xrdriver
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Car: 2010 STi, 2018 RA#40
Fav Mod: 6th Gear
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

xrdriver is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2021 STI - next gen wishlist

A hatchback version. That's all it would take to convince me to sell my 2010 STI. I have simple tastes

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by xrdriver; 08-06-19 at 10:40 AM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-19, 10:03 AM   #3
bsowers2018

Car: Crystal Black 2018
Fav Mod: being different and leaving it stock.......
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bsowers2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be surprised if there even is a next STI. Seems like the S209 may be the swansong for it. We will probably get a WRX with some "STI" add ons. Subaru is going the way of all the others with too many suv type cars with the god-awful cvt trans and no power. I myself will not get another one even if i'm wrong, because been there done that. But ok, How about an STI Crosstrek with a manual or DCT? that might do the trick...…..
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-19, 10:06 AM   #4
b18c5rjdm
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: Absurd insurance rates
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

b18c5rjdm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINick19 View Post
Higher redline closer to 7,500 RPM

But why? Numbers start falling after around 5 grand. It's not a Honda.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-19, 11:35 AM   #5
eschellerup
Becoming A Contributor

Car: WRB 16 STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

eschellerup is an unknown quantity at this point

dual injection would be very nice. Won't have to do the damn expensive walnut cleaning which is needed for direct injection.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-19, 11:45 AM   #6
clapanse
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: Red '18 STI
Fav Mod: Driver mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

clapanse will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c5rjdm View Post
Numbers don't have to start falling after 5k though. That's all in cam, intake, and turbo selection. You could very easily design an overall package that pulled strong to 7k or higher. Look at the 2.5 in the 718 S - it has peak power at 6500 but keeps pulling pretty strongly up to a 7500 redline, with the main power band at 6000-7500. There's no reason a new STI engine couldn't perform similarly.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-19, 11:55 AM   #7
Nativepenguin
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: FXT & STI
Fav Mod: Not having one
My Subaru Parts for sale

Nativepenguin will become famous soon enoughNativepenguin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINick19 View Post
Being that the next gen STI should be announced later this year..
  • What do you hope to see with the next generation STI?
  • What would it need to have for you trade-in your current STI?
  • What do you think we'll actually get from Subaru?
I hope that Subaru uses their knowledge, along with what the aftermarket have learned, from the BRZ & WRX to improve upon the FA platform. The aftermarket has shown how far this engine can be pushed and how well it responds to ethanol.

Wish List:

Engine:
  • FA24 engine
  • Stronger rods than the WRX's FA20DIT. This seems to be the weak point over 350 lb-ft. Forged rods and pistons would be great, but won't happen.
  • Dual injection (direct & port) from the BRZ that allows for high RPM power, higher redline & minimizes carbon build-up (this is unlikely since Toyota designed the D-4S dual injection system)
  • BRZ-like intake manifold & heads to improve airflow at higher RPMs
  • More aggressive cams than the WRX to improve high RPM power (I'm okay with the added turbo lag)
  • Twin scroll, equal length header w/ a larger ball bearing turbo to improve high RPM power (again, I'm okay with more turbo lag). They could throw in some billet/titanium compressor/turbine wheels as well
  • Improved oiling system - lack of oil flow and pressure at high RPMs is an issue for the BRZ & WRX. Need an oil cooler and oil pan baffling for track days.
  • Flex fuel capability from the factory (definitely won't happen, but I can dream ). The stock fuel injection system on the WRX works pretty well for flex fuel, even at higher power levels, but has issues with ethanol mixes above E60..
Misc:
  • Hatchback option of course!
  • EPS similar to the BRZ (yes, we'll lose the hydraulic PS and I'm not a huge fan of the WRX EPS)
  • Adaptive/active/magnetic suspension
  • Lighter wheels & better tires - I really hope that they don't go to 20". The 19" wheels already weigh 28.4 lbs. Going to a wheel closer to 20 lbs would help quite a bit. They could also throw on some Michelin PS4S from the factory
  • Active exhaust & exhaust tuning to make it sound better since we're losing the rumble by going ELH. A titanium exhaust would be a nice way to shed some extra weight
  • Brake ducts
  • Higher redline closer to 7,500 RPM
  • Launch control, no-lift shift, optional rev match, etc.
  • Highway fuel economy closer to 30 mpg
  • Base price around $40k is probably likely.. although I'd be willing to pay a bit more depending on what we actually get.
The drivetrain is fine and they can keep it as-is to save some money.

I care more about the driving experience that the car offers, but below are some specs that would probably help sell the car:
  • HP: 350-400 (flex fuel should easily push it to 350-400whp with minimal modifications if it's anything like the FA20DIT)
  • 0-60: at least in the 4 sec range
  • 1/4 mile: at least in the mid to high 12 sec range
Reality:
I expect that we'll see very little of this. Probably just a slightly tuned version of the FA24 with a larger turbo making ~320-350 hp. I think the aftermarket will still be able to push the engine pretty far as long as it comes with stronger rods than the FA20 and the pistons aren't a weak point given the 8mm larger bore.
There's a lot on your wish list that would (*I THINK*) push more people away due to the price incease of having any combination of two things listed.

I purchased my current STI because it has all the newest gadgets and gizmos that I wanted (I'm one of those who buy the latest and greatest things) and love the current setup. I do not modify my car. In my opinion, I fall along the lines of the average person who purchases a Limited STI, not just for the performance but to enjoy the car. I baby the crap out of my car. No autox, racing, hell not one of my vehicles have seen redline.

With you saying you're willing to pay more if there were some improvements from you wish list, how about the average person who purchases an STI?

I hope you get something off your list. I'm happy with what is already here and think all the Subarus are getting better and better.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-19, 12:14 PM   #8
bsowers2018

Car: Crystal Black 2018
Fav Mod: being different and leaving it stock.......
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bsowers2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativepenguin View Post
There's a lot on your wish list that would (*I THINK*) push more people away due to the price incease of having any combination of two things listed.

I purchased my current STI because it has all the newest gadgets and gizmos that I wanted (I'm one of those who buy the latest and greatest things) and love the current setup. I do not modify my car. In my opinion, I fall along the lines of the average person who purchases a Limited STI, not just for the performance but to enjoy the car. I baby the crap out of my car. No autox, racing, hell not one of my vehicles have seen redline.

With you saying you're willing to pay more if there were some improvements from you wish list, how about the average person who purchases an STI?

I hope you get something off your list. I'm happy with what is already here and think all the Subarus are getting better and better.
I agree fully with nativepenguin. I want to buy the car I want at the time and enjoy it . If I want a faster, etc., etc, insert wishlist here, I'd buy it or get it next. I do have a Nameless muffler delete, because hell, the sound is worth 50 horsepower, right?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-19, 12:18 PM   #9
STINick19
Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c5rjdm View Post
There's no reason that the engine has to be designed that way, especially with the 86mm stroke. There's no physical limitation due to piston speeds. Look at the following engines and their stroke & factory redline:

EJ207: 75mm 8,000 RPM
BRZ's FA20D: 86mm 7,400 RPM

For the Honda reference:
B18C: 87.2mm 8,900 RPM
K20A: 86mm 8,600 RPM
F20C: 84mm 9,000 RPM

Yes, these are naturally aspirated inline 4 Honda engines and I don't expect us to get this high of a redline. I think ~7,500 RPM is very reasonable considering the EJ207 & FA20D.

Most American's just prefer instant low-end torque over higher RPM horsepower.. and they don't want turbo lag.

Subaru can easily make power up there.. modified FA20 WRXs have. Swapping to a slightly larger turbo and higher flowing intake manifold is all that it takes. They could also change the cam profiles and improve the flow of the head. The BRZ heads already make power up there.

I'm not asking for a 9,000 RPM redline like I had on my K20 or F20 engines. We're in a world where v8 Mustangs have a higher redline than most Japanese cars (Mustang GT 7,500 RPM & GT350 8,250 RPM).
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-19, 12:32 PM   #10
STINick19
Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativepenguin View Post

I agree. I wouldn't expect everything on the list. That's why it's a wish list

A lot of it is/has already been offered on other cars in the price range like the Civic Type R, Golf R, Focus RS, Ford Ecoboost, etc. It would probably help if Subaru offered a few more packages or configuration options. Things are pretty limited right now with only the base and limited models.

I'm sure everything that I listed would bump the price quite considerably and some people wouldn't want to spend that much. But Subaru already has a lot of the parts and engineering from the FA20 and FA24 platforms. Their new global platform should also help cut costs.

Sure the adaptive suspension, titanium/active exhaust, and forged internals would cost quite a bit.. but otherwise I don't think it's that unrealistic. Those could just be additional options that you could add-on separately.

Last edited by STINick19; 08-06-19 at 12:45 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement