Engine Is this the OEM boost solenoid - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Is this the OEM boost solenoid
Is this the OEM boost solenoid
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Engine Is this the OEM boost solenoid

Old 07-19-19, 11:12 PM   #1
jaswrx
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Black 2015 Limted
Fav Mod: ProTune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jaswrx will become famous soon enough
Default Is this the OEM boost solenoid

My car was returned to stock and I might have given the shop wrong boost controller.

Is the one below the OEM one or does it looks like one of many variants of the aftermarket ones?

I am guessing it's the OEM one, and if so, this might explain why I am not hitting what I remember oem target boost levels set for? It's not a dramatic difference, but 1.5 psi, and I am sure that is a slight downgrade in power too? Should I swap it to the OEM one or leave the aftermarket one in on stock or OTS tune?

Are there any other downsides other than lower peak boost? Does it cause it to also spool slower?

Just a moment...

Last edited by jaswrx; 07-19-19 at 11:16 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-19, 05:46 AM   #2
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is this the OEM boost solenoid

you tune is only good for the controller it is was associated with. Normally there are more changes than just the tune, too. We do not know exactly what you have done - and undone.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-20-19, 07:06 AM   #3
jaswrx

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I don't think I was clear...Sorry about that.

I am NOW running NO TUNE. I was tuned (Stage 2). The car was returned to stock by dealership. The car is as if it were new now.

What I am asking is if the pic I posted above is the OEM boost solenoid?

If it is, they forgot to switch that back out. I don't remember the brand I was running before, but it was a pretty simple one (not a 3 port or anything) installed at Snail Performance.

Does running an "Upgraded solenoid" causes any issues on the stock tune other than lower boost?

Last edited by jaswrx; 07-20-19 at 09:04 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-19, 12:35 PM   #4
crick0234
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: DGM '12 WRX STI 5DR
Fav Mod: shortThrow Shifter
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

crick0234 is on a distinguished road

it looks like a aftermarket one. i found this boost solenoid pic for a OEM boost controller:

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/p...st-Control.jpg

and its associated part# 16102AA380 for 2015 sti's. Seems the same part number on my 2012 sti. Visual check on my car confirms that's what it looks like.

running an incorrect tune to your boost controller can result in overboosting. the boost controller controls the amount of boost. You can either get too much boost or not enough boost and incorrectly get them at the wrong moments from my understanding.

If you're going back to stock tune, try to find the stock boost controller... otherwise, it's about $30 from what i can see on ebay.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-21-19, 01:07 AM   #5
jaswrx

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

if the pic I posted is an aftermarket one, then the correct one was installed when dealer put the car back to stock.

And if that is the case, what on earth is the part I posted used for, b/c it is definitely a Subaru OEM part??

Again, the car is now stock on stock tune... Just not hitting peak boost as I remember. 16psi seems low to me, but anyhow, what is this part?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-22-19, 05:57 AM   #6
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaswrx View Post
if the pic I posted is an aftermarket one, then the correct one was installed when dealer put the car back to stock.

And if that is the case, what on earth is the part I posted used for, b/c it is definitely a Subaru OEM part??

Again, the car is now stock on stock tune... Just not hitting peak boost as I remember. 16psi seems low to me, but anyhow, what is this part?

It’s the OEM Subaru EGR valve. You must have done an EGR delete at some point. Most people do it at the same time as their TGV delete.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-22-19, 11:12 AM   #7
jaswrx

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

well that just makes no sense as it's hard to believe. I though the EGR things was a WRX thing, NOT STi.

Anyhow, never done that mod so the only thing I can think of to what must have happened is that the tuner accidentally gave me this part thinking it was the OEM boost controller (they do look similar).

Too bad I noticed 4 years later.

So what's one the car is aftermarket and running stock tune which is why I am slightly under boosting.

It's only about 1psi difference. I wonder how much I am really giving up by not using the OEM controller.

Is it really worth spending the $30.00?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-22-19, 12:14 PM   #8
crick0234
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: DGM '12 WRX STI 5DR
Fav Mod: shortThrow Shifter
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

crick0234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
well that just makes no sense as it's hard to believe. I though the EGR things was a WRX thing, NOT STi.

Anyhow, never done that mod so the only thing I can think of to what must have happened is that the tuner accidentally gave me this part thinking it was the OEM boost controller (they do look similar).

Too bad I noticed 4 years later.

So what's one the car is aftermarket and running stock tune which is why I am slightly under boosting.

It's only about 1psi difference. I wonder how much I am really giving up by not using the OEM controller.

Is it really worth spending the $30.00?

i am looking thru the parts diagrams and can't really find 14774AA500 (the one in your picture) listed other than on older STi's.

as for whatever solenoid is installed, can't you unbolt and check the part number?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-22-19, 02:52 PM   #9
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

I thought you had a WRX for some reason. You’re probably right about the tuner just returning the wrong part.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-23-19, 10:00 AM   #10
jaswrx

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Update:

So I contacted my tuner from a few years ago, and surprisingly enough, the pic I posted, which is an older Subaru part was used as an "upgraded" solenoid over the stock one in my 15STi.

Probably very few tuners or shops go that route but it's stealthier than an upgraded grimspeed or cobb, but I am sure not as good.

With that said, it means that the one I have installed on the car must be the OEM one if I still had this leftover part.

Last edited by jaswrx; 07-23-19 at 08:35 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement