Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: WRB '16 STi Limited
Fav Mod: Driver
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

wxnavy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Brake Replacement on a Budget

My 2016 STI (28k miles) has been making some squeals while braking, so we all know what that means.

Running short on funds, but am trying to determine if brakesplus is ok to use for a service provider, as they do carry Centric Rotors and Centric Pads.

I asked for a quote on semi-metallic pads and blanks, as they determined they are not able to refinish the rotors safely. He said the pads are all going metal to metal on the rotors.

Using their own in-shop parts, they quoted me $855 for all 4 corners replacing pads and rotors, which includes a brake flush and alignment.
This link shows what they are installing, but I am not sure if this is "just as good" as stock is on my STI. I'd at least like to get as close to stock as possible, without cutting corners.

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...6&autoModClar=

On the other hand, if I bring my own parts, ordered from CygnusPerformance or other vendors, they (Brakes Plus) offer no warranty on them, but I have more flexibility in knowing what is going on my car.

I had the Cygnus brake package picked out with free shipping for the DBA T2 Street Series Slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads, bundled at a really fair price on their site.

I'd have to pay $120 per hour labor with no warranty on the parts, so about 200-240 figuring on 1 1/2 to 2 hours of labor based on the technician's estimate. Factor in the alignment and brake flush it's about the same price, at $860 with parts and labor.

My question is, does this sound like a good deal, either way? Has anyone been in this situation before? I am not able to install myself, or I would definitely do it.

Thank you for your time. My sincere apologies if this is too similar of a post for the forum, I could not find specifics like this situation, I just want to avoid being ripped off or have sub-stock components placed on my STI (BP assured me that they are fine, but I don't know much about comparing brake parts).
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-19, 10:49 AM   #2
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: Brake Replacement on a Budget

Have you actually verified the brakes need replaced, or are they just making noise?

I wouldn't have Brakes Plus do any work on the car. I would just buy quality rotors and some StopTech Sport pads and do the work yourself.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-19-19, 10:54 AM   #3
wxnavy
Contributor

Car: WRB '16 STi Limited
Fav Mod: Driver
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

wxnavy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
Have you actually verified the brakes need replaced, or are they just making noise?

I wouldn't have Brakes Plus do any work on the car. I would just buy quality rotors and some StopTech Sport pads and do the work yourself.
I can feel grooves in the rotors with my fingernail, there is a nice visible grooved line on the rear brakes as well.

I am not able to do the work myself, or I would. I do not have the tools or the technical skillset. I am the guy who popped the driver's side cv-joint off while trying to remove a simple strut in a 2004 Neon, I am not about to wreck my car's brake system
I'd like to learn how, eventually, but work and kid's activities need me to get this done in a week's time.

I have a local trusted mechanic, but his labor rate adds an additional 300 dollars to this, and no brake flush or alignment.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-19, 11:03 AM   #4
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxnavy View Post
I can feel grooves in the rotors with my fingernail, there is a nice visible grooved line on the rear brakes as well.
That description doesn't make them bad. You should see my rotors after a set of track pads driven on the street.

Quote:
I am not able to do the work myself, or I would. I do not have the tools or the technical skillset. I am the guy who popped the driver's side cv-joint off while trying to remove a simple strut in a 2004 Neon, I am not about to wreck my car's brake system
I'd like to learn how, eventually, but work and kid's activities need me to get this done in a week's time.
Brakes are pretty simple and popping out an axle while working in the area isn't a big deal.

Quote:
I have a local trusted mechanic, but his labor rate adds an additional 300 dollars to this, and no brake flush or alignment.
You get the parts, bring the car over to my place, I'll teach you how to do brakes. However, I'm not convinced they are dead yet.

Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 07-19-19, 12:39 PM   #5
raisingAnarchy
Becoming A Master Contributor

Car: CBS '16 STI
Fav Mod: Driver mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

raisingAnarchy will become famous soon enough

rallysportdirect.com had a sale last year that enabled me to buy EBC ultimax rotors and pads for all 4 corners for under $300 shipped. I finally got around to doing the swap a few weeks ago. Super easy stuff (aside from one rusty caliper bolt that took a lot of force to break loose). Definitely can be intimidating the first time, just because it's your brake system, but the Brembo system is so simple you can't screw it up.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-19-19, 01:08 PM   #6
Jedi03
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: Blue 2009 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jedi03 is on a distinguished road

do you have autozone near you? their rotors are cheap and they can also get brembo blanks for great prices too! i got all my parts for ~350 pads and rotors on all 4, and did it myself
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-19-19, 01:37 PM   #7
UrdnotWrexSTi
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: Aspen White GR STi
Fav Mod: Coilovers
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

UrdnotWrexSTi will become famous soon enough

Edited (Didn't read full post)

A full brake kit (Front and Rear rotors and pads) from a great brand should run you around $550. A kit from Oreilly's or Auto Zone should be around $350, I believe. Personally, I wouldn't use a kit from a parts store on my STi. I also would never let Brakes Plus work on my car either, as they tend to be operated by kids. But I get you trying to save a buck or two.

If they're throwing in a brake flush and an alignment on top, that's a fair deal.

Here's a link from Rallysport. But if you shop around, say at ImportImageRacing or Aristocrat Motorsports, you can probably find them much cheaper.

Brake Upgrade Kits

Brake Upgrade Kits

Last edited by UrdnotWrexSTi; 07-19-19 at 01:53 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-19-19, 01:40 PM   #8
UrdnotWrexSTi
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: Aspen White GR STi
Fav Mod: Coilovers
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

UrdnotWrexSTi will become famous soon enough

And remember that you will possibly face stripped threads on those Brembos, which is a notorious problem. Not likely, but it's a possibility. You just have to get lucky that they don't strip out.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-19-19, 01:44 PM   #9
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

I have the proper helicoils for the front calipers.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-19-19, 08:29 PM   #10
brapp
Becoming A Master Contributor

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp will become famous soon enoughbrapp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
You get the parts, bring the car over to my place, I'll teach you how to do brakes. However, I'm not convinced they are dead yet.
Do this instead. Brakes on these cars are so easy.

Also... forget slotted rotors. They look cool... but you definitely don't need them. Especially not just street driving. Especially if you're on a budget. HPS pads are usually known to be less aggressive than the stock Brembos... go for something like a Stoptech Street pad.

Also... if you haven't changed pads on the car before, I'd be very surprised if your front and rear pads were both worn out. I go through front pads about 2x as fast as rears.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement