Brakes Brake Replacement on a Budget - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Brake Replacement on a Budget
Brake Replacement on a Budget
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Brakes Brake Replacement on a Budget

Old 07-19-19, 08:46 PM   #11
wiEiEzy
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2017 STI
Fav Mod: cobb tbe
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

wiEiEzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brake Replacement on a Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapp View Post
Do this instead. Brakes on these cars are so easy.

Also... forget slotted rotors. They look cool... but you definitely don't need them. Especially not just street driving. Especially if you're on a budget. HPS pads are usually known to be less aggressive than the stock Brembos... go for something like a Stoptech Street pad.

Also... if you haven't changed pads on the car before, I'd be very surprised if your front and rear pads were both worn out. I go through front pads about 2x as fast as rears.
heard anything about project mu street pads?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-19, 08:54 PM   #12
Jedi03

Car: Blue 2009 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jedi03 is on a distinguished road

whats wrong with autostore parts? centric is a big name brand iirc stoptech is a part of them, autozone gets brembos directly from the manufacturer, their own rotors I agree aren't the best but work well, I have had mine for nearly year and a half and nothing noticeably bad...I was really short on cash or would have spent the extra 40 per rotor to get brembos...I do go with the duralast pads as I do like free pads whenever I need them...personally do the GT currently and like them...nothing to use on the track for sure but they work for my driving environment/style
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-20-19, 03:23 AM   #13
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about

I dont know what brake plus is but from the sounds of it, it sounds like a crap pep boys/just out of tech school shop. If that is in fact what it is, i would highly recommend you not get anything done there let alone even go there. I get that you're trying to save the $$ but this is your car and im guessing your daily. I wouldnt go for the auto part store stuff, do you really want to cheap out on brakes on your sti? My recommendation would be to get the good stuff from cygnus performance and have your trusted local mechanic do the work. Good, skilled, knowledgeable labor is hard to come by and is charged accordingly.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-19, 05:24 AM   #14
ogintheback
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 05 CGM STi
Fav Mod: ShinjiML Tune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ogintheback is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
That description doesn't make them bad. You should see my rotors after a set of track pads driven on the street.

Brakes are pretty simple and popping out an axle while working in the area isn't a big deal.

You get the parts, bring the car over to my place, I'll teach you how to do brakes. However, I'm not convinced they are dead yet.
^ This is very generous and the way OP should go. OP, you learn to do this once and you'll never have to fret about paying for this job again. I'd suggest grabbing some gloves for you and your host plus brake cleaner and some copper anti-seize as well.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 07-20-19, 05:55 AM   #15
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Brapp: Due to torque vectoring VAs and other modern cars commonly go through rear pads before front!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogintheback View Post
^ This is very generous and the way OP should go. OP, you learn to do this once and you'll never have to fret about paying for this job again. I'd suggest grabbing some gloves for you and your host plus brake cleaner and some copper anti-seize as well.
and like a whole case of beer, or a generous donation to his garage or just help with soemthing he needs help with . . . . !

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 07-20-19 at 05:59 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 07-22-19, 07:18 AM   #16
wxnavy
Contributor

Car: WRB '16 STi Limited
Fav Mod: Driver
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

wxnavy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much, everyone.
yamahaSHO, may I please take a rain check on the offer? I will swap out the 'meh' pads later in the fall.
I am extremely appreciative, I know how valuable time is, please understand.

Long story short, we had a family medical emergency Friday afternoon, and as a result, had to change all 7 day plans asap.
Had USAFA events all day Saturday with my son, his "Doolie Day Out" with a few other cadets.
Needed the car done by today, so local mechanic is taking the job to be done today.

Situation-forced into ordering Centric High Carbon blanks, and and Centric Composite (Semi-Metallic) Pads through local trusted mechanic for quick-turn around. Local (highly trusted) mechanic also said my pads were as thin as paper and the rotoros were not re-useable, machining them would probably crack them he said. Right rear had deep gouge from the pad being gone completely on one portion of that pad, almost 2 millimeters. He said the rotors are being scratched by the remaining 3 pads, and they are past the 'end of life' on the pads. Didn't know sti's ate brakes so fast. I don't track the car, or do anything crazy in it.

Still reeling from Friday's medical emergency though, sorry for the brevity. Thanks again, everyone.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-22-19, 07:29 AM   #17
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Yes, my offer still stands. I am an Air Force member as well... for another year and 5 months, then I retire. Just hit me up on a PM and I am willing to help teach the job so it's more simple than taking it to someone.

Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 07-22-19, 09:24 AM   #18
wiEiEzy

Car: 2017 STI
Fav Mod: cobb tbe
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

wiEiEzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxnavy View Post
Thank you so much, everyone.
yamahaSHO, may I please take a rain check on the offer? I will swap out the 'meh' pads later in the fall.
I am extremely appreciative, I know how valuable time is, please understand.

Long story short, we had a family medical emergency Friday afternoon, and as a result, had to change all 7 day plans asap.
Had USAFA events all day Saturday with my son, his "Doolie Day Out" with a few other cadets.
Needed the car done by today, so local mechanic is taking the job to be done today.

Situation-forced into ordering Centric High Carbon blanks, and and Centric Composite (Semi-Metallic) Pads through local trusted mechanic for quick-turn around. Local (highly trusted) mechanic also said my pads were as thin as paper and the rotoros were not re-useable, machining them would probably crack them he said. Right rear had deep gouge from the pad being gone completely on one portion of that pad, almost 2 millimeters. He said the rotors are being scratched by the remaining 3 pads, and they are past the 'end of life' on the pads. Didn't know sti's ate brakes so fast. I don't track the car, or do anything crazy in it.

Still reeling from Friday's medical emergency though, sorry for the brevity. Thanks again, everyone.

you must brake pretty hard lol! My 2017 sti with 30 k miles (daily driver) apparently has ~ 80% brake pad left in front and 70 in back
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement