Transmission/Drivetrain Mods for a S M O O T H ride: brands/quality? - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Mods for a S M O O T H ride: brands/quality?
Mods for a S M O O T H ride: brands/quality?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Transmission/Drivetrain Mods for a S M O O T H ride: brands/quality?

Old 07-20-19, 10:58 AM   #31
t h i c c
Active Participant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Black '15 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

t h i c c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mods for a S M O O T H ride: brands/quality?

Thanks for all the advise guys, this thread was really informative. I've put in an order for the cobb shortshift and bushings. I'm gunna work at it one part at a time. The next cab off the rank will be a CF driveshaft, and then I'll do the mounts. I'll probably finish up with a tune.

I had a chat with a STi motorsports guy after getting him to drive it around, and he told me the clutch is probably getting messed up from hill assist. After I had a think about it, I live in an area where the main road is just slightly elevated, and every time I try to dart across from one end to the other the hill assist is probably engaging while I wait for gaps. He said my clutch biting point is also unusually high, but it's probably because it's on the way out. I asked if there was a way to lower the bite point permanently if I replaced the clutch with a heavier one, but he said it's pretty much a fixed stroke thing from the way the master cylinder works, and it can't be changed. Some people have suggested adjusting a nut near the clutch pedal to lower the biting point, but I read on these forums that it could cause problems with the cars computer systems

Last edited by t h i c c; 07-20-19 at 11:12 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-19, 07:13 AM   #32
the ambush
Advanced Contributor Level 5

Car: 2015 Audi S3
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

the ambush is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by t h i c c View Post
My shifter doesn't really move around too much, but I struggle with stop starts occasionally due to a rotator cuff injury (RHD; 1st and 2nd can be a bit of a literal pain when the gearbox decides it's gunna be overly stiff and notchy, it's like shifting a truck sometimes). My hope is that I can make the gearbox feel more effortless, being able to flick from gear to gear with 2 fingers instead having to drive them in. Every now and then I can't even put the car into 3rd without double clutching, and this is just driving at normal speed.
VW products have buttery shifter.
but seriously, if you like your car, i think getting a cobb short throw shifter install it with the lower shaft as long as possible and the top shaft as short as possible. the result will be that the feel is very stiff but the throw will be very short and the shifter being low, you will be able to involve your wrist in to shifting and less arm/shoulder.

ps: i m no physio/ergotherapist/chiro. just and accountant but have had many injuries from sports...

previous cars
-2015 Audi S3 dsg
-2015 STI Red
-2009 STI CWP
-2006 STI WRB
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-01-19, 01:53 PM   #33
dromo3
Becoming A Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

dromo3 is on a distinguished road

Have you tried a weighted shift knob? I have had the ones from Chris at WC Lathewerks and they make any shifter feel amazingly smooth. 1 lbs steel knob helps with inputs so it requires less force on your end of things.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-19, 10:24 PM   #34
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA STI View Post
Can you go into more detail about this mod? Did you just fill up the bushing with urethane?
Here's the post from my journal. It has more detail about this mod, but yes the short of it is I did fill the bushing with urethane.

Project Silverstreak: New diff and coilovers!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-01-19, 10:28 PM   #35
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
This is so misguided. Built and tuned properly your car will loose all signs of STI stumble which you just described perfectly (added: a mild case - it can be much worse and may vary day to day); and run far smoother every where, and make more power everywhere.

i'll admit I had some concerns before I did it - which engine wise was one gigantic leap. It's been 4 yrs and almost 50Kmi. Power-wise, drive-ability, and daily reliability have had no issues - IE I've never broken down on the road. I've made other choices, IE suspension and mounts that make my car - Uh, a little more special

To dhelman - it's all tune. 3port BC make response to the ecu faster - ie the waste-gate which it controls it will follow changes according to the tune faster. Yes it may well prevent overshoot if assuming that's what you are showing us.

I don't have the STI stumble and that is not what I'm talking about. Also I'm done arguing with you on these forums. You seem to miss the point on most of my posts.

Last edited by SubySal; 08-01-19 at 10:32 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-04-19, 03:11 PM   #36
adamfl
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 05STi psm stage2
Fav Mod: DO IT!, DO IT!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

adamfl is an unknown quantity at this point

same thought. Buy a caddy.

[QUOTE=Jedi03;4482028]i think that if you take your sti to the BMW dealer give it to them and return with a bmw it will be smooth!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old Today, 04:04 AM   #37
drummerboy
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: 17 STI SportTech WRB
Fav Mod: Tightening the nut behind the wheel
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

drummerboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
I also got motylgear put in the tranny and shifting is super smooth. With that new oil and GrpN mounts, it’s really way more smooth than stock. Shifts are more precise, smooth, with way less shifter play and jerkiness when letting the clutch go. And power transfer is smoother since it doesnt have to rock the engine/tranny before power gets the wheels moving and it has less rebounding happening too.
I just wanted to update on the motylgear I mentioned a few pages back. While shifting and overall tranny feel was really smooth and felt so good, I found that I would occasionally get grinding on 5 to 4 downshifts, and also going into 1st on a really slow roll. It would happen pretty much once or twice a day, and I never had grind on the factory fill. Basically, I think that even semi-synth motylgear is too slippery... like it can't get the sychros up to speed fast enough even if its not supposed to be as slippery as Gear300.

I don't know what that would do in the long-run having some grind every day, and I would hate to think of grind happening on the track, so I had it drained and used the standard fill my dealer had as the regular tranny oil -- no more grinding. Shifting isn't as smooth anymore, but at least no grinding. I really think the tranny doesn't like slippery aftermarket fluids. It really needs a certain amount of friction that Subaru-spec oil has. I'll miss that shifting feel, but at least I feel confident in the tranny again.

Last edited by drummerboy; Today at 04:16 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement