Build Plans Short Block Quote and Labor Prices - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Short Block Quote and Labor Prices
Short Block Quote and Labor Prices
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Build Thread Short Block Quote and Labor Prices
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-20-19, 10:37 AM   #1
Valenz
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car: CPW 2016 STi
Fav Mod: Flex Fuel
My Threads
Posts: 62
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Valenz is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Short Block Quote and Labor Prices

So as some of you know my car is experiencing rod knock and I will have to replace the short block. I was trying to do as much research as I could and got a couple of quotes.

The best one I received was for a IAG stage 2.5 closed deck.
Labor: 3,807.50
Parts: 6,276.08
Tax: 869.70
Total: 10,953.28

Labor is 140.00 a hour & this will also include 2 oil changes all fluids and a new Flex tune.
Oil cool,timing belt, water pump being replaced etc.

Does this price look average to some of you that have priced this type of work before?
I was quoted 9600.00 for just a IAG stage 2 with installation.

Also, I will be covered by a 2 year or 25k miles warranty because they are a certified installer for IAG.
Valenz is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-20-19, 10:53 AM   #2
raisingAnarchy
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car: CBS '16 STI
Fav Mod: Driver mod
My Threads
Posts: 669
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: OH, US
raisingAnarchy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Short Block Quote and Labor Prices

Looks like a pretty great price to me, unless you're not giving enough details. Are they reusing the turbo? What about clutch work? Oil pump?

I'd also find out what they plan to do about the heads. Will they be cleaned out and will they ensure the mating surfaces of the old, used heads will match the brand new shortblock?

That's a good warranty too since IAG themselves only off 1 yr/12k miles on shortblocks that are professionally installed. Also, this price is nearly identical to a shortblock replacement at the dealer, so I'd say you're coming out way ahead.

Also, you must have big plans if you're going with an IAG stage 2.5
raisingAnarchy is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-19, 11:11 AM   #3
Valenz
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car: CPW 2016 STi
Fav Mod: Flex Fuel
My Threads
Posts: 62
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Valenz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Short Block Quote and Labor Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingAnarchy View Post
Looks like a pretty great price to me, unless you're not giving enough details. Are they reusing the turbo? What about clutch work? Oil pump?

I'd also find out what they plan to do about the heads. Will they be cleaned out and will they ensure the mating surfaces of the old, used heads will match the brand new shortblock?

That's a good warranty too since IAG themselves only off 1 yr/12k miles on shortblocks that are professionally installed. Also, this price is nearly identical to a shortblock replacement at the dealer, so I'd say you're coming out way ahead.

Also, you must have big plans if you're going with an IAG stage 2.5
Thanks, I figured if I am already spending 10k might as well get the 2.5 over the 2 to give me some room for a build next year.

The quote included Clean, Deck, Pressure test heads.

Also new oil cooler, pump pan strainer. Complete gasket kit with Je pro seal headgasket and Wrist pin / Cover Seals.

I also went out to EFI for a quote but think it's going to be a little far to have the car towed.

Sorry, no clutch or turbo work included in that quote.
Valenz is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-20-19, 01:31 PM   #4
raisingAnarchy
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car: CBS '16 STI
Fav Mod: Driver mod
My Threads
Posts: 669
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: OH, US
raisingAnarchy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Short Block Quote and Labor Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenz View Post
Thanks, I figured if I am already spending 10k might as well get the 2.5 over the 2 to give me some room for a build next year.

The quote included Clean, Deck, Pressure test heads.

Also new oil cooler, pump pan strainer. Complete gasket kit with Je pro seal headgasket and Wrist pin / Cover Seals.

I also went out to EFI for a quote but think it's going to be a little far to have the car towed.

Sorry, no clutch or turbo work included in that quote.
Well hopefully they at least inspect/clean the turbo. The turbo bearings share the engine sump oil so there could be fragments from your bearing failure that made its way into the turbo. Same reason to replace the oil cooler and oil pump.
raisingAnarchy is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-19, 11:47 AM   #5
VA STI
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
Posts: 410
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: May 2017
VA STI will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Short Block Quote and Labor Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingAnarchy View Post
Well hopefully they at least inspect/clean the turbo. The turbo bearings share the engine sump oil so there could be fragments from your bearing failure that made its way into the turbo. Same reason to replace the oil cooler and oil pump.
There's no way to clean the oil cooler so if they are re-using it OP should be asking questions. I wouldn't risk the turbo either. You can rebuild an oil pump though.
VA STI is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-19, 12:36 PM   #6
Leemanfor
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
Posts: 806
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Lochbuie, CO
Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Short Block Quote and Labor Prices

yeah OP you need them to replace

short block
oil pump
oil cooler
oil pickup
AVCS solenoids and gears
oil pan
turbo
all AVCS lines
oil feed

basically anywhere the oil has touched, it needs to be cleaned or replaced.

do not let them try to clean the oil cooler. any shop that does that, and charges 10 grand for this, id steer clear
Leemanfor is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-19, 12:50 PM   #7
VA STI
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
Posts: 410
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: May 2017
VA STI will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Short Block Quote and Labor Prices

Does the IAG block come with a different oil pick up? I'd recommend going with a Killer B one if it doesn't. Oil pans can be cleaned but new ones are like $60 so you might be better just buying one. AVCS can be cleaned but it is a bitch and some people eat the $600 to replace them. They cannot re-used without being cleaned. Oil lines are easy to clean and relatively short on these cars.

OP all these things need to be done or else your new engine has the chance of getting rod knock again.
VA STI is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-19, 07:03 AM   #8
Valenz
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car: CPW 2016 STi
Fav Mod: Flex Fuel
My Threads
Posts: 62
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Valenz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Short Block Quote and Labor Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA STI View Post
Does the IAG block come with a different oil pick up? I'd recommend going with a Killer B one if it doesn't. Oil pans can be cleaned but new ones are like $60 so you might be better just buying one. AVCS can be cleaned but it is a bitch and some people eat the $600 to replace them. They cannot re-used without being cleaned. Oil lines are easy to clean and relatively short on these cars.

OP all these things need to be done or else your new engine has the chance of getting rod knock again.
Yes, it comes with a IAG oil pickup. Just going to throw on a 20g and header and go with a stage 2 block on Flex. I accepted the quote 10k
Valenz is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-19, 07:33 AM   #9
Valenz
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car: CPW 2016 STi
Fav Mod: Flex Fuel
My Threads
Posts: 62
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Valenz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Short Block Quote and Labor Prices

Well shes on her way

They received the car engine is ordered and it will be about 2-3 weeks.



[IMG][/IMG]
Valenz is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-19, 08:38 AM   #10
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SJ USA
mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Short Block Quote and Labor Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenz View Post
Yes, it comes with a IAG oil pickup. Just going to throw on a 20g and header and go with a stage 2 block on Flex. I accepted the quote 10k
you have a pump and injectors?

$140/hr for labor is a bit high. But it's more important to use a shop that can and will do the work properly - and great about the warranty.

Best of luck . . . .
__________________
If someone's description of a mod sounds to good to be true, it probably is !!!

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
mheyman is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help? More

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Designed & Powered by Domain Architect
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.