Transmission/Drivetrain Notchy shifter remedies besides oil - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Notchy shifter remedies besides oil
Notchy shifter remedies besides oil
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Transmission/Drivetrain Notchy shifter remedies besides oil

Old 06-04-19, 12:31 PM   #1
raisingAnarchy
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: CBS '16 STI
Fav Mod: Driver mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

raisingAnarchy will become famous soon enough
Default Notchy shifter remedies besides oil

I'm using a gear oil (idemitsu racing 75w90) recommended by DysonAnalysis based on a couple samples, and we're not seeing any abnormal wear in the trans; however, he seems to think that my trans should be shifting smoothly when it's not. I'm on my second fill of this fluid, and I think I got all but 0.2 qts out of the last drain, so I don't think that any significant amount of HPGO is still in there.

I don't feel that it's ever been easy or smooth to shift into gear across 54k miles (I bought it new with 100 miles). For example, getting into 2nd & 5th gears for the first time each morning has a crunchy feeling. It just doesn't seem to want to go through the gate very easily, and double clutching will only sometimes aide in that.

I am curious if that's something that can be resolved with bushings or trans mount or anything like that, or maybe has to do with the dealer installed short shift kit?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-19, 01:52 PM   #2
TheOtherDave
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: Red 17 STI Limited
Fav Mod: Plugged the engine to cabin sound tube
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TheOtherDave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Notchy shifter remedies besides oil

I have 17K on my '17.

I replaced the factory trans fill at 15K.
I used Motul gear300 as recommended by folks on this forum.
Change from factory fill seemed to do nothing in my opinion.

Mine still has the light crunchies into 2nd gear if the trans is cold-ish and the ambient tempsare below 50ish degrees.

Weirdly many times the 2nd shift into 2nd is worse than the first.

When warm the shifts are good.

I believe it also has to do with the rev hang of the engine (holds engine RPM) when cold.

I have found no solution to the cold issue.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 06-04-19, 01:57 PM   #3
VA STI
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

VA STI will become famous soon enough

Got 70000KMs and also tried using Motul Gear 300 to help with shifting. I didn't see any change. In cold Canadian winters I can't even get into 2nd for the first 1-2 minutes of driving. I think it's just how these transmissions are. You can look into 'cocktails' for these transmissions but that may do more harm than good.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-19, 04:36 AM   #4
bsowers2018
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Car: Crystal Black 2018
Fav Mod: being different and leaving it stock.......
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bsowers2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same issue with my 18. I have not changed fluid, but I had an RX8 that shifted so hard I bought a rebuilt trans for it. Tried fluids first, with redline it was worse. Club forums suggested Eneos 75/90 so I figured what the hell. Drained the redline and pumped in Eneos and before I even moved it I knew it was better. 45000 miles and it now shifted like a new car. Very tempted to try it in the STI. I know, vastly different gearbox but results are results.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-05-19, 06:49 AM   #5
evoreg
Becoming A Contributor

Car: 2017 WRX STI DGM
Fav Mod: Killer B Holy Headers
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

evoreg has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Trans mount and positive shift kit made of world of a difference in my car (2017 STi). My trans mount is a solid IAG and white line positive shift kit.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-05-19, 09:28 AM   #6
mheyman
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingAnarchy View Post
I'm using a gear oil (idemitsu racing 75w90) recommended by DysonAnalysis . . . he seems to think that my trans should be shifting smoothly when it's not.
. . .
I don't feel that it's ever been easy or smooth to shift into gear across 54k miles
. . .
I am curious if that's something that can be resolved with bushings or trans mount or anything like that, or maybe has to do with the dealer installed short shift kit?
You experience is normal as you can see from the replies. It's a Subaru, it will shift like one. The different WRX/STIs have all had issues at times when when downshifting, and in general when cold. Others may report differently. I've seen it here. Drive those cars. They won't be any better.

Why would an oil analysis guy try to tell you how your car should shift from an oil analysis? There are so many other things at play here.
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-26-19, 08:10 AM   #7
Voodoo Rufus
Platinum Member

Fav Mod: Driver Mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Voodoo Rufus will become famous soon enough

the STI 6MT is better than other Subaru transmissions for sure. They take a while to loosen up I think. Mine started to shift less clunkily after 30k or so.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-26-19, 10:50 AM   #8
Boilermaker128
Becoming A Contributor

Car: 2018 STI
Fav Mod: Factory stock
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Boilermaker128 is an unknown quantity at this point

MY18 STI tranny is disappointing to me. I listened to too many fanboys talking up the tranny over the years.

I've put 70,000+km on and it's not confidence inspiring, worse over time. Shakes in idle, shakes in gear, knotchy rubbery all year round -30 to +30 in Canada.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-26-19, 11:39 AM   #9
raisingAnarchy
Becoming A Master Contributor

Car: CBS '16 STI
Fav Mod: Driver mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

raisingAnarchy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker128 View Post
MY18 STI tranny is disappointing to me. I listened to too many fanboys talking up the tranny over the years.

I've put 70,000+km on and it's not confidence inspiring, worse over time. Shakes in idle, shakes in gear, knotchy rubbery all year round -30 to +30 in Canada.
Are you talking about the shifter itself shaking? It's a solid connection between the shifter and the mechanism in the transmission, as opposed to a cable. So if the transmission and engine are shaking (say at cold idle with stock engine & trans mounts) then the shifter will move about while in neutral.

If you want to minimize that shifter movement, you could install more solid mounts for the engine and trans, and maybe even the shifter linkage too. The drawback would be more noise in the cabin.

Here's a video from an iwsti.com member showcasing really bad shifter movement: Possible Cracked Transmission Mount Diagnose 2015 WRX STI - YouTube
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-26-19, 12:08 PM   #10
VA STI
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

VA STI will become famous soon enough

I put on a group n transmission mount and its one of the best mods I've done. It's way more accurate and precise and doesn't increase NVH much at all. Doesn't move around when you accelerate anymore.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement