jamesWRmica
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2016 CWP Limited STI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jamesWRmica has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: 2020 STi Changes

The STI holds its value well about the only car in would go out of an sti for is a gtr. Used focus rs are going fairly cheap now but they are not the most reliable.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-19, 05:25 PM   #82
DarkSi08
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: 2019 STI Limited CWP
Fav Mod: JDM STi Mirrors
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

DarkSi08 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemanfor View Post
Where I'm at, the values are

2018 STI limited 10000 miles

Trade-in Range
$30,453 - $33,566
Trade-in Value $32,010

2018 Golf R
Trade-in Range
$34,658 - $37,021
Trade-in value $35,840

so they seem to hold their value more
Guys, the Golf R is a $42k car. The STI starts at $36k.

Also not sure where you’re located - those values are VERY different than they are here! Median trade-in value on the Golf R here in Charlotte is about $32k. STI (base) is the same - on a car that costs $6k less.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-20-19, 03:17 AM   #83
bsowers2018
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Car: Crystal Black 2018
Fav Mod: being different and leaving it stock.......
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bsowers2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSi08 View Post

Also not sure where you’re located - those values are VERY different than they are here! Median trade-in value on the Golf R here in Charlotte is about $32k. STI (base) is the same - on a car that costs $6k less.
Interesting values. I'm told that trade on my basically as new 18 base with 9k is only 28k here in Louisville.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-19, 04:02 AM   #84
DarkSi08

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsowers2018 View Post
Interesting values. I'm told that trade on my basically as new 18 base with 9k is only 28k here in Louisville.
Very interesting! Is that a dealer telling you that? Have you tried getting an autotrader instant cash price on it?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-20-19, 06:19 AM   #85
bsowers2018
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Car: Crystal Black 2018
Fav Mod: being different and leaving it stock.......
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bsowers2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Very interesting! Is that a dealer telling you that? Have you tried getting an autotrader instant cash price on it?
Haven't done autotrader. Carfax says 28ish and so does the dealership group I work for. But for registration purposes Kentucky says it's worth 31025 and last year it was 32466. Here we pay tax every year based on that number to get a new sticker. Doesn't really matter, I have 19 months left on the lease and there's nothing else out there right now that i'd rather have. Other than darksi08's old RS3...….

Last edited by bsowers2018; 06-21-19 at 04:24 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-20-19, 07:09 AM   #86
Leemanfor
Master Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

I'm in Colorado, which is one of the top Subaru states.

but a limited STi starts at $40,895
Golf R starts at $39,785
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-20-19, 08:44 PM   #87
vater

Car: CBS '17 STi Ltd.
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

vater is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Actually no, the Golf R is a $39k car and the STi limited is $41k. Which is odd considering the STi is missing a lot of features that you get in the R. Golf R is loaded with more features (such as dynamic chassis control, digital cockpit), safety features (adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, auto high beams etc), 6 year/72k mile warranty, more premium & practical (hatch) interior, significantly better gas mileage, yet quicker in the 1/4 mile/0-60 (DSG), etc.

Maybe part of this has to do with VW trying to gain back customer loyalty after dieselgate, but the R is a damn good value for what you get.

To be fair, STi has slightly better handling, more aggressive look, sounds better (though most VW guys might disagree and it's subjective), and if we're comparing 6spd manual, STi has the better transmission by far.

But if you watch most comparison vids on youtube, most reviewers pick the R over the STi. Especially as a daily driver. Then they usually go on to say if you want something more for the track, the RS is much more superior to the STi.

I really hope Subaru steps up their game for the next gen because they're lagging behind the competition.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-20-19, 09:08 PM   #88
vater

Car: CBS '17 STi Ltd.
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

vater is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
values are VERY different than they are here! Median trade-in value on the Golf R here in Charlotte is about $32k. STI (base) is the same - on a car that costs $6k less.
Yeaa good luck getting $32k for a '18 base STi w/ 10k miles in Charlotte when the Limited is going for $31k:

Turns out it's easy to change your zip code on KBB's site and see that the resale value for an R is even BETTER in Charlotte than it is in TX

Source: I traded in my '17 STi limited w/ 18k miles a year ago. I was appalled when Carmax appraised it at $26,000 when it was in very good to excellent condition, very well taken care of and no mods. I was able to get the dealer to give me $28,500 for the trade in. Surprisingly it sat on the lot for over a month. Maybe cause black isn't a desirable color in south TX?

It seems like since Subaru's popularity has exploded, their resale value isn't what it used to be 5 years ago. I used to rarely see STi's/WRX's around 5 years ago, but nowadays I see them everywhere I turn. They're not as rare as they used to be so the resale value has suffered a bit cause of that.

Last edited by vater; 06-20-19 at 09:38 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-21-19, 03:20 AM   #89
DarkSi08

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by vater View Post
Yeaa good luck getting $32k for a '18 base STi w/ 10k miles in Charlotte when the Limited is going for $31k:

Turns out it's easy to change your zip code on KBB's site and see that the resale value for an R is even BETTER in Charlotte than it is in TX

Image Link

Source: I traded in my '17 STi limited w/ 18k miles a year ago. I was appalled when Carmax appraised it at $26,000 when it was in very good to excellent condition, very well taken care of and no mods. I was able to get the dealer to give me $28,500 for the trade in. Surprisingly it sat on the lot for over a month. Maybe cause black isn't a desirable color in south TX?

It seems like since Subaru's popularity has exploded, their resale value isn't what it used to be 5 years ago. I used to rarely see STi's/WRX's around 5 years ago, but nowadays I see them everywhere I turn. They're not as rare as they used to be so the resale value has suffered a bit cause of that.
Technically easy, yes, but a large pain in the ass when you're on your phone.

The numbers, in reality, are much different. I had to fight to get $32k on the Golf R - hard, and it's in immaculate condition. I had the exact same experience trying to work a deal with 4 different dealerships on trading it. Every single one of them tried to offer me $29k at first, with 3 of the 4 setting a hard line at $31,500. I'm not sure how you're even getting the numbers you're seeing there, as when I search, the range is very different.

STI was zero issues to get exactly what I wanted for it - again, got $38k for my 7k mile 2018 last April. They threw it on the lot for sale at $41k (less than $1k less than original MSRP), and it was literally gone the next day.

Things obviously change, but my personal experience in the area has been that the STI resale is much better than the R, having traded a nearly 1 year old example of each in the past year.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-21-19, 03:49 AM   #90
DarkSi08

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by vater View Post
Actually no, the Golf R is a $39k car and the STi limited is $41k. Which is odd considering the STi is missing a lot of features that you get in the R. Golf R is loaded with more features (such as dynamic chassis control, digital cockpit), safety features (adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, auto high beams etc), 6 year/72k mile warranty, more premium & practical (hatch) interior, significantly better gas mileage, yet quicker in the 1/4 mile/0-60 (DSG), etc.

Maybe part of this has to do with VW trying to gain back customer loyalty after dieselgate, but the R is a damn good value for what you get.

To be fair, STi has slightly better handling, more aggressive look, sounds better (though most VW guys might disagree and it's subjective), and if we're comparing 6spd manual, STi has the better transmission by far.

But if you watch most comparison vids on youtube, most reviewers pick the R over the STi. Especially as a daily driver. Then they usually go on to say if you want something more for the track, the RS is much more superior to the STi.

I really hope Subaru steps up their game for the next gen because they're lagging behind the competition.
I had a long, anti-VAG rant typed up here, but realized it was honestly exhausting.

The summary is this - The Golf R is an absolutely fantastic car, and I honestly liked driving it VERY much, once it had some proper rubber on it. Honestly, tires completely transformed it from boring and sterile, to an absolute blast. Funny how that works.

Important thing to know - while the R is better than the STI in nearly every conceivable way (aside from ruggedness - it has exactly none of that), VAG is EXTREMELY trigger-happy these days when it comes to voiding warranties.

If you want to drive the car stock, or mostly stock, and you're thinking about an R - Do it! You'll love it, especially with the DSG (I found the manual to be QUITE lethargic when I tested it). If you want to tune it - make sure you're ready for a voided warranty, unless you NEVER take it to the dealership. They'll scan the car anytime it's there, as they've been advised to do - oil changes, flat tire repair, just hitting the car wash at the dealer? It's getting scanned. If they find evidence of a tune, your warranty WILL be voided, period. Many bolt-on parts will net the same treatment, especially a downpipe. I've read at least one story of someone with an RS3 having his warranty voided over a cat-back exhaust...

It's a liability if you like to mod, and not just a financial one, there are potential legal ramifications once you sell it, as well. Worth it? That's for you to decide. I decided it wasn't - but honestly, just barely!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement