Car: 2019 STI Limited CWP
Fav Mod: JDM STi Mirrors
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

DarkSi08 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2020 STi Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vater View Post
Strange. How many miles did the Golf R have and what year was it?
2018 DSG with just about 10k miles.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-19, 05:08 PM   #102
DarkSi08
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
That doesn't apply to just VW, this is pretty much any car manufacturer nowadays. It also largely depends on the dealer. When I had my STi the service advisor told me that a catback could definitely void the warranty in a result of engine failure, anything more than an axleback was not acceptable in Subaru's eyes.

With VW, you can always go APR Plus if you want to tune and have some kind of warranty. Subaru would void your warranty just as well if you plan on tuning. Have there been cases where SoA covered engine failure with a tune as a good-will? Yes, but there have also been cases like that with a VW.

Also, you can get a JB4 piggyback mod to increase boost and modify A/F. It's fairly easy to remove and does not get flagged as a tune. A friend of mine was able to improve his 1/4 mile time by nearly a full second with just a $400 JB4 mod.
[/url]
A couple of incorrect statements here.

First, Subaru doesn't blanket void warranties, they will refuse to cover things when caused by mods, which is completely understandable. Sometimes it's a fight to prove it, but you have a chance. Blew your engine because of a big turbo? They aren't going to cover it - but if your radiator starts leaking while under warranty, big turbo or not, they're going to take care of you.

VAG is blanket voiding warranties over this stuff. Take your car in for a flat tire, they're going to void your warranty when they scan for a tune. Have a problem with a wastegate rattle? Too bad. Leaky radiator? Too bad. That's the difference. There are absolutely no goodwill requests being honored like this at VAG any longer, unless it's something minor that the dealer can fly under the radar with. Any and all major engine, trans, or diff warranty claims require an ECU dump to be sent to VAG corporate for review before they will approve the claim. Any evidence of a tune (or other modified equipment they can detect) results in a 100% void of the factory powertrain warranty from corporate. This is happening left and right to folks on the S3 and RS3 forums, and it's hitting especially hard for the folks who tried a tune and returned it after a couple hundred miles, as well as people who bought used cars that had previously been tuned.

Additionally, on top of physically inspecting under the hood - again, this when your car is in for ANY type of service - they can now detect traces of piggybacks like the JB4. It may only be 50% of the time - but that's a heck of a risk of liability on a car with a $15k+ engine.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-22-19, 07:29 AM   #103
STINick19
Becoming A Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STINick19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm going based on factual sources. We're going by MSRP numbers and listed prices of dealerships, not what you claim you paid.https://www.northparksubaru.net/new/...7da4ab7087.htm
Why would I lie about what I paid? would you like to see my bill of sale? or the many quotes that I received for $3-4k under MSRP from different dealerships? Sure, going by MSRP is easier.. but it's not an accurate picture of what people are paying and the amount of depreciation that they're facing when trading in or reselling their STI.

It's factual that in a lot of areas you can easily get a '19 STI for well under MSRP without any real negotiation.. I simply asked for an online quote. Go checkout the "2019 STI Orders" thread on NASIOC and you'll see that $3-4k under MSRP is common. I feel bad if you paid MSRP for a '19 STI.

The point that I was trying to make is that the trade-in value (especially for 2018 STIs) is going to be lower when:
  1. The 2019s are more desirable with their powertrain improvements, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, etc.
  2. People are getting great deals on the '19s and paying under invoice. This will have a huge impact on the trade-in/resale values.
The Golf R is a great car.. but it's much easier to get a STI under MSRP. Show me anyone that has gotten a comparable deal on a new Golf R.

Below is my original quote before I negotiated an additional $500 off.

Why are we even talking about a Golf R in the "2020 STI Changes" thread?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-19, 08:28 AM   #104
DarkSi08
Advanced Contributor Level 1

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINick19 View Post
The Golf R is a great car.. but it's much easier to get a STI under MSRP. Show me anyone that has gotten a comparable deal on a new Golf R.

Why are we even talking about a Golf R in the "2020 STI Changes" thread?
Definitely a great point. Even though there really aren't many STIs sold in a year, VW has a tendency to release all of the Golf Rs in a huge batch - so they're extremely available for a very short time, and then you can't get one at all for ~9 months... breeding excitement for when the next model year finally arrives.

Agreed, though - this thread went WAY off topic, and it's really my fault.

As of now, I've heard nothing new on the 2020, but we should hear something - if anything is coming - in the next couple of weeks.

There's been a lot of speculation that the S209 is the reason for the late model year release. They shut down ordering really late for the 2019 STI... Then they have ~200 S209s to build and ship to Subaru Tecnica International before they can get started on the mainline 2020 builds. All speculation, of course, but I'd be willing to bet that it's something similar.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-22-19, 10:01 AM   #105
jamesWRmica
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: 2016 CWP Limited STI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jamesWRmica has a little shameless behaviour in the past

In 2016 I got 3-3.5 off MSRP. I dont think many dealers have been selling stis for MSRP since 2010 or at least the gen 1s were out. Subarus hold their values I had a subaru forester xt and they ae no longer made, the demand for them is huge. I would say any turbo subaru will hold their value better than any thing else in its segment and on the road. Used subarus bring excellent money just the way it is and by huge depreciation you might be talking 2-3 grand below what they wojdl sell for new. I would not worry about that and just drive the car.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 06-23-19, 10:29 AM   #106
Boilermaker128
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Boilermaker128 is an unknown quantity at this point

Give us S209 powertrain in an STI premium for under 10k extra. That would make it under $65000 CAD after tax. Simlar to Focus RS price and what it offered for performance. RIP.

Easily doable, parts are already in subaru's bin. Maybe 2021. Hybrid STI seems far away, very unlikely in next few years.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-24-19, 04:30 AM   #107
bsowers2018
Contributor

Car: Crystal Black 2018
Fav Mod: being different and leaving it stock.......
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bsowers2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesWRmica View Post
In 2016 I got 3-3.5 off MSRP. I dont think many dealers have been selling stis for MSRP since 2010 or at least the gen 1s were out. Subarus hold their values I had a subaru forester xt and they ae no longer made, the demand for them is huge. I would say any turbo subaru will hold their value better than any thing else in its segment and on the road. Used subarus bring excellent money just the way it is and by huge depreciation you might be talking 2-3 grand below what they wojdl sell for new. I would not worry about that and just drive the car.
I got my 18 base in October of 17, it was the first 18 they had and only for 2 weeks. I didn't even ask and got it under invoice.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-08-19, 10:40 PM   #108
subie_tech_intl
Active Participant

Car: ICM '18 STI Limited
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

subie_tech_intl is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlesschicken View Post
The wiring and lame plastic cover is already there on the 18. Doesn't mean they'll bring it to USDM though

2018 WRX Front View Monitor [Retrofit/Install] - NASIOC

I've already done this and it is extremely useful for parking/saving my front lip.
where can i order the t-harness and how much is it?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement