Thoughts/Review/Comparison Typa RA or S209 - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Typa RA or S209
Typa RA or S209
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Thoughts/Review/Comparison Typa RA or S209

Old 05-15-19, 12:09 PM   #21
STINick19
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STINick19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Typa RA or S209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemanfor View Post
im more excited for S209 short blocks to be available. Wonder how much those will cost from Subaru. and I am curious the piston material they used. I am thinking its a 4032 forged piston
These likely won't be available to the public without a S209 VIN. Even then you may need a P/O from the service department saying that you need a replacement. There'll probably be a limit on the production rate since the engines are hand-built at STI's shop in Kiryu-Kougyo, Japan.

The forged S series blocks from the S207 & S208 aren't for sale to the general public on the Japanese market.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-19, 12:14 PM   #22
bsowers2018
Becoming A Contributor

Car: Crystal Black 2018
Fav Mod: being different and leaving it stock.......
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bsowers2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
Type RA and S209 should not be compared against one another. Regarding the S209, if you have access to one and find the asking price to be acceptable, then the S209 is the car you should buy. The people that likes to talk about buying a STI and tune it etc. are completely missing the point of these type of cars. The second you bring "tuning" into a comparison, the conversation is pretty much done because "tuning" is an unpredictable variable with multiple possible outcome. Cars like the S209 is about performance straight out of the box, unmolested from the factory/dealership directly to your garage. And no, I am not a fanboy nor am I under any illusion that it is the "greatest car ever" because it isn't. It is and will be an unique exercise by Subaru Technica International for this current era similar to the 22B in its own era.

If you do decide on buying a S209, please drive it and use the car as a daily driver. Owning a S209 and not drive it is like dating a virgin supermodel girlfriend and never sleep with her so she can sleep with the next guy she dates.
Right on the money. If you can afford it, go for it and use it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-15-19, 12:40 PM   #23
8cd03gro
Advanced Mastery Level II

My Subaru Parts for sale

8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemanfor View Post
im more excited for S209 short blocks to be available. Wonder how much those will cost from Subaru. and I am curious the piston material they used. I am thinking its a 4032 forged piston
It's absolutely 4032 or a similar alloy. 2618 would never meet emissions or longevity requirements in an EJ257, it's too wide bore and oversquare.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-19, 01:04 PM   #24
jamesWRmica
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: 2016 CWP Limited STI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jamesWRmica can only hope to improve

Whoever said daily drive an s209 that again is crazy talk. I daily drive my F150 which is why my 2016 STI has 16500 miles on it. If I buy a s209 then it will sit in the garage replacing my 16 sti limited. Although, I am not really sold on the s209 and would not go any more than MSRP which would probably weed me out of getting one. It still is not a GTR or XKR -- so when they approach that territory Subaru does have their limits even for fanboys and the like.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-15-19, 01:51 PM   #25
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesWRmica View Post
Whoever said daily drive an s209 that again is crazy talk. I daily drive my F150 which is why my 2016 STI has 16500 miles on it. If I buy a s209 then it will sit in the garage replacing my 16 sti limited. Although, I am not really sold on the s209 and would not go any more than MSRP which would probably weed me out of getting one. It still is not a GTR or XKR -- so when they approach that territory Subaru does have their limits even for fanboys and the like.

Im a firm believer of enjoying things while you still have them. I can see why someone would want to keep the S209 in the garage and all that jazz. At the same time, you're paying all this money for the car with a forged block and upgraded turbo and all that stuff, why not enjoy it. After all, its still an STI and at the end of the day, its a great jack of all trades kind
of car.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-15-19, 02:27 PM   #26
Leemanfor
Master Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellX View Post
just like they did with type RA Typa RA or S209
this

You can buy Type RA short blocks for the same price as the non-RA STi EJ257.

but seeing as the other S type blocks weren't for sale for the public, as stated above. we probably wont see this one then.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-16-19, 06:46 AM   #27
STINick19
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STINick19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It is and will be an unique exercise by Subaru Technica International for this current era similar to the 22B in its own era.
I agree that it will be a great version of the STI and the first time that we've gotten anything like it from Subaru in the US. With that said.. it'll be no where near what the 22B was in its era.

People that purchase the S209 will do so for rarity, brand loyalty, nostalgia, etc. Priced at ~$65k, there are just too many better options for it to be competitive performance-wise.

1999 22B STI
$41,600 (Japan)
Rated at 280hp/265lb-ft due to Japan's Gentlemen's Agreement, but actual power is likely ~300hp
Curb weight 2857lbs
0-60 4.7 sec (various sources claim 3.9 - 5 seconds)
0-100 13.1 sec
1/4 mile 13.5 sec
Skidpad 0.96g

2019 STI S209
~$65,000
341hp/315lb-ft
Curb weight ~3400lbs
0-60 4.5 sec
0-100 11.8 sec
1/4 mile 12.9 sec
Skidpad 1.0g

And yes, these stats are only part of the picture as neither of these cars were designed for drag racing. The 22B was just a much more competitive car in its era.

Disclaimer: I'm one of those people that are nostalgic about cars from the 90s & early 2000s. That's largely why I chose a '19 STI since it still has some of that old school, mechanical driving feel.

Last edited by STINick19; 05-16-19 at 06:51 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-16-19, 11:25 AM   #28
Tifosi
Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Tifosi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINick19 View Post
I agree that it will be a great version of the STI and the first time that we've gotten anything like it from Subaru in the US. With that said.. it'll be no where near what the 22B was in its era.

People that purchase the S209 will do so for rarity, brand loyalty, nostalgia, etc. Priced at ~$65k, there are just too many better options for it to be competitive performance-wise.

1999 22B STI
$41,600 (Japan)
Rated at 280hp/265lb-ft due to Japan's Gentlemen's Agreement, but actual power is likely ~300hp
Curb weight 2857lbs
0-60 4.7 sec (various sources claim 3.9 - 5 seconds)
0-100 13.1 sec
1/4 mile 13.5 sec
Skidpad 0.96g

2019 STI S209
~$65,000
341hp/315lb-ft
Curb weight ~3400lbs
0-60 4.5 sec
0-100 11.8 sec
1/4 mile 12.9 sec
Skidpad 1.0g

And yes, these stats are only part of the picture as neither of these cars were designed for drag racing. The 22B was just a much more competitive car in its era.

Disclaimer: I'm one of those people that are nostalgic about cars from the 90s & early 2000s. That's largely why I chose a '19 STI since it still has some of that old school, mechanical driving feel.
While it may be true, but I think that is also a lot of nostalgia talking here, a lot has changed in the last 20 years, as today's market is much more competitive compare to back in 1998. Just speaking from the US market POV, Fed regulation, consumer/market driven features/options and product selection are all completely different in 2019 and rightfully so. In addition, since I have never driven a 22B, I can't really comment on what it is like to drive one. We might as well be discussing the 1959 250 Testa Rossa or the 1962 GTO. Either way, back in 1998, the 22B is to Subaru what the S209 is to Subaru in 2019.

As for other options that are available today, again, the market is much more saturated today and as for competition, so that's a very subjective discussion. IMO, ever since the demise of EVO, there are only a hand full of cars that are direct competitors to the STI, not to mention the S209. For me, my personal criteria of an ideal daily car here in the snow belt of US are as follow: AWD (Prefer a real AWD, not Haldex based AWD if possible), manual transmission (Had my experiment with semi-auto/DSG for the past 7 years, no thanks), reasonably comfortable and utility/space for more than 2 people once in awhile, and of course, I honestly can only think of one car on the market which is the Golf Type-R, and that is more against the STI and not the S209.

Again, the S209 is not the perfect car but it is unique in its own way. Enough to be IMO, a special car of this particular automotive era. It funny to think that it is possible the motorhead kids of today will be talking about the S209 in 2039 how we talk about the 22B today.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-16-19, 12:27 PM   #29
8cd03gro
Advanced Mastery Level II

My Subaru Parts for sale

8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
While it may be true, but I think that is also a lot of nostalgia talking here, a lot has changed in the last 20 years, as today's market is much more competitive compare to back in 1998. Just speaking from the US market POV, Fed regulation, consumer/market driven features/options and product selection are all completely different in 2019 and rightfully so. In addition, since I have never driven a 22B, I can't really comment on what it is like to drive one. We might as well be discussing the 1959 250 Testa Rossa or the 1962 GTO. Either way, back in 1998, the 22B is to Subaru what the S209 is to Subaru in 2019.

As for other options that are available today, again, the market is much more saturated today and as for competition, so that's a very subjective discussion. IMO, ever since the demise of EVO, there are only a hand full of cars that are direct competitors to the STI, not to mention the S209. For me, my personal criteria of an ideal daily car here in the snow belt of US are as follow: AWD (Prefer a real AWD, not Haldex based AWD if possible), manual transmission (Had my experiment with semi-auto/DSG for the past 7 years, no thanks), reasonably comfortable and utility/space for more than 2 people once in awhile, and of course, I honestly can only think of one car on the market which is the Golf Type-R, and that is more against the STI and not the S209.

Again, the S209 is not the perfect car but it is unique in its own way. Enough to be IMO, a special car of this particular automotive era. It funny to think that it is possible the motorhead kids of today will be talking about the S209 in 2039 how we talk about the 22B today.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they probably won't be if it really costs in the $60k+ range. The 22B was an absolute animal in the 1990s. That's why it's so well known in car culture, not because it fit a particular need of a small subset of car enthusiasts. Unique yes, but also impressive. The S209 is much, much slower than other cars in that price range and it doesn't offer any new or advanced technology. If it ends up $65k it will be priced similarly to GT350R and ZL1 1LE, more than Audi RS3 and A45 AMG... it's just not a significant threat performance-wise.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-16-19, 01:09 PM   #30
Bigkitty
Advanced Contributor Level 1

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Bigkitty is on a distinguished road

I agree with you!I bought a 2019 STI to keep my 2017 company!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement