Old 05-01-19, 07:55 AM   #1
Citrigzlia
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Citrigzlia is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2018 STI is like no other sitting at 24,000 miles the trans has been rebuilt twice and going in third ( still fighting subaru ) we can save that for another post.
Anyway my last rebuild was at 16,000 miles they replaced my clutch and rebuilt my trans replacing 3/4 gear as they were damaged ( no idea why yet ). After my last rebuild I started noticing this weird chatter I got on my driver side somewhere near the engine. When I’m pushing around 5,000 RPMS it starts chirping almost as if I have a blow off valve. The car is all stock except an exhaust installed at 3,500 miles. The sound started only on last rebuild. Starts around 5,000 rpms and chirps a random amount of times until I shift.
Updated I have video of it https://youtu.be/duIv3WYpa2A
I will try and record a video today but it’s hard inside with my exhaust. The sound is audible and loud enough to hear if you’re outside my car. More noticeable in sport sharp. Had dealer test drive over more trans concerns and brought up the noise which they ignored. He admitted to hearing it but didn’t say or write anything.
Any ideas?

Updates: had my BPV replaced and it’s still happening. Can anyone tell me the normal boost they’re getting? My peak is 18 and usually sit around 18/15 but lately when I get the harsh whistle/leak noise ( sometimes it carries through the whole gear ) I’ll sit at 12/13 and it flutters like a leak.

Last edited by Citrigzlia; 07-05-19 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Update
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-19, 08:40 AM   #2
jamesWRmica
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: 2016 CWP Limited STI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jamesWRmica has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Weird boost chatter on 2018 STI

Is the BOV not recirculated back into the intake? What you said sounds like a blow off valve which most turbo cars have. I also have had my clutch on my car replaced at 15 thousand miles and it is a 2016, not sure what type of clutches they have been using but I have heard that there is an updated throw out bearing which has been used in the newer cars. However, the older STIs while feeling slower, I am not really sure they actually are. My GR hatch felt like it was a lot more smoother than the white sedan I currently have. However, this could simply be the fact that the larger hatch has a smaller moment of inertia which is why Rally team USA still run the STI hatches.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-01-19, 08:51 AM   #3
CapedCrusader92
Contributor

Car: DGM 17 STi
Fav Mod: Driver - Stage 1
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

CapedCrusader92 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you have a lemon unless your driving habits are abysmal.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-19, 09:25 AM   #4
Citrigzlia
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesWRmica View Post
Is the BOV not recirculated back into the intake? What you said sounds like a blow off valve which most turbo cars have. I also have had my clutch on my car replaced at 15 thousand miles and it is a 2016, not sure what type of clutches they have been using but I have heard that there is an updated throw out bearing which has been used in the newer cars. However, the older STIs while feeling slower, I am not really sure they actually are. My GR hatch felt like it was a lot more smoother than the white sedan I currently have. However, this could simply be the fact that the larger hatch has a smaller moment of inertia which is why Rally team USA still run the STI hatches.
I don’t believe the stock STIs have a blow off valve only a bypass valve. I’m not super technical with this as my friends have explained to me. It would make sense if it happened all the time before the rebuilds and at the peak of my boost but why would it be blowing out as I’m still climbing RPMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader92 View Post
Sounds like you have a lemon unless your driving habits are abysmal.
Yes I’m actively pursuing that route right now but subaru is shutting me down.
Its a long story. As of right now they tore down my trans last and the gears were damaged showing the clutch was not activating fully is what the mechanic had told me. Now whether that’s on them or me was undecided. I have driven manual for a long time and even fully pressed the clutch would drag and grind. They’re stating right now that none of my repairs are under warranty as I “abused” the car by rev matching. My first rebuild was at 5,000 mile range. Issues started at 3,000.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-02-19, 12:17 PM   #5
Jedi03
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: Blue 2009 STi Hatch
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jedi03 is on a distinguished road

mine did the same during cold weather, i figured was air getting by the BOV or through the wastegate (internal) changing to my HKS i haven't heard it since...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-03-19, 03:12 AM   #6
Citrigzlia
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi03 View Post
mine did the same during cold weather, i figured was air getting by the BOV or through the wastegate (internal) changing to my HKS i haven't heard it since...
Mine does it everyday hot/cold doesn’t matter. With every shift
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-03-19, 05:56 AM   #7
mheyman
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Umm - STIs, no, Subarus have alyways used bypass valves not blow off valves.

Pressurized air forced through small "orfices" often make noise. Various noises from BPV and waste-gate is normal. Are you guys complaining cause you can or can't hear it more?

Mind you I'm not making a judgement here, but reading stuff like this makes me wonder whether to feel sorry for the owner or the car - or if it's even legit!
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.

Last edited by mheyman; 05-03-19 at 11:08 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-03-19, 06:54 AM   #8
Jedi03
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: Blue 2009 STi Hatch
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jedi03 is on a distinguished road

i like it personally, but the change did happen when i switched BOVs
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-03-19, 09:03 PM   #9
jaswrx
Developing Advanced Mastery

Car: Black 2015 Limted
Fav Mod: ProTune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jaswrx will become famous soon enough

What exactly or how does the Lemon Law work?

I am about to pursue this on my issue with the steering. They have replaced the pump, rack, axle, center diff, and now replacing front diff.

At what point, can I call SOA and say....

SOrry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Last edited by jaswrx; 05-03-19 at 10:22 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-04-19, 01:31 AM   #10
nightdown fox
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: '15 Launch Edition
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

nightdown fox will become famous soon enoughnightdown fox will become famous soon enough

Is it the clanking noise heard at 0:24 of that video?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement