Engine Hollow Ringing Noise at Fast Idle (cold) - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Hollow Ringing Noise at Fast Idle (cold)
Hollow Ringing Noise at Fast Idle (cold)
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Engine Hollow Ringing Noise at Fast Idle (cold)

Old 04-09-19, 08:22 PM   #1
Ebnash
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Drivetrain Bushings and Mounts
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ebnash is on a distinguished road
Default Hollow Ringing Noise at Fast Idle (cold)

I have a 2018 STI with Cobb DP and have noticed a hollow ringing noise during cold idle. It's most obvious when I 1st start the car and parked next to wall or other cars. I'm not sure if it's just because of the larger downpipe or a sign of a problem.

I thought it might be an exhaust leak since it seems to settle down after it warms up, but I have extensively inspected around downpipe connections at Turbo and Catback connections. I see no signs of an exhaust leak (carbon build up) and the noise is not any more noticeable when I get under the car.

Doesn't this sound familiar to anyone else. Driving me crazy wondering if there is a problem.

Thanks
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-19, 08:57 PM   #2
wiEiEzy
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: 2017 STI
Fav Mod: cobb tbe
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

wiEiEzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hollow Ringing Noise at Fast Idle (cold)

I have a 2017 STI with Cobb Turboback and do notice ringing/vibration over the whole car some days on cold starts lol ..

hilarious enough it set off a car alarm on a neighboring parked car from vibrations at idle on cold start LOL ... cobb tbe is pretty quiet too honestly (once it warms up that is haha)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-10-19, 06:26 AM   #3
raisingAnarchy
Becoming A Master Contributor

Car: CBS '16 STI
Fav Mod: Driver mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

raisingAnarchy will become famous soon enough

I've got a couple different noises from exhaust leak happening right now. One around the front O2 sensor that sounds like piston slap, and then my Tomei isn't sealing up properly. I confirmed all of these leaks with soapy water. Easy to test the cat back by just sticking a shop vac hose in the tail pipe with the vac's flow reversed.

At this point I really only trust soapy water to diagnose any air leaks: intake or exhaust side. For the manifold, I cold started the engine and immediately got underneath and sprayed soapy water on all gaskets. That makes it easier to spot air bubbles instead of sizzling water.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-19, 07:24 AM   #4
Ebnash
Gold Member

Fav Mod: Drivetrain Bushings and Mounts
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ebnash is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response. I'm going to try and get a video or audio clip this afternoon, when I start her up to leave work.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement