Thoughts/Review/Comparison carbon fiber driveshaft - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
carbon fiber driveshaft
carbon fiber driveshaft
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Thoughts/Review/Comparison carbon fiber driveshaft

Old 02-23-19, 10:29 AM   #1
navin'swrxsti
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

navin'swrxsti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default carbon fiber driveshaft

I have a 2017 sti and considering a carbon fiber driveshaft. Anyone install and have positive reviews or any issues? If so what brand?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-19, 11:29 AM   #2
motogp500
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: CWP 17 WRX STi
Fav Mod: PST Carbon Drive Shaft
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

motogp500 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: carbon fiber driveshaft

I have a PST carbon fiber DS on my 17 STI. It went in easy with my brothers help. About an hour to do. A favorite and well worth it upgrade IMO. The car just drives and performs better.

The other consideration was Drive Shaft Shop. Didn't go that way because you have to drill out the holes on the rear coupler for larger bolts. Some people run the stock smaller size bolts, but that wasn’t for me and I didn’t want to have to put in the effort to get them properly drilled straight.

Both make good quality products.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-23-19, 06:57 PM   #3
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

One of the few mods you can do that has no downside. That said its a small difference for a significant amount of money. I would buy another Drive shaft shopp part - and I like they fact they they bother to tell you that for higher power upgrading the bolts is a good idea Drilling a few holes is one of the easier things you can do in a mod . . . sure most of us will never get that high though more and more of us are. But worrying about four drilled holes? Not me.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-19, 07:15 PM   #4
Jedi03
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: Blue 2009 STi Hatch
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jedi03 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did DSS, didn't drill out holes, just centered the shaft and bolted it down...amazing upgrade in driveability overall!!!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-23-19, 09:16 PM   #5
stiprince
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: DGM MY15 STi
Fav Mod: CF Driveshaft
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

stiprince is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2015 STi and also went with the PST carbon fiber DS for the main reason not to drill out the holes. Been on the car now for 3 years and ZERO issues. Easy install, will loose a little transmission gear oil but just lift the rear end up more than the front and should help in the loss of fluid. Great upgrade in daily driving with smoother acc. and shifting and a lot less sloppy play when in 1st gear in stop and go traffic. I agree with mheyman in "small difference for a significant amount of money" but worth it at the same time, at least for me. Been to the drag strip a few times and many track days and it held up well with no issues. Free up those unsprung horsepower's

Last edited by stiprince; 02-23-19 at 09:20 PM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 02-24-19, 10:31 AM   #6
navin'swrxsti
Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

navin'swrxsti is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advise. Looks like ill be getting one come spring time. So its between the PST and "The Driveshaft shop" driveshaft. I see the driveshaft shop DS is rated at 850hp and 180 mph, anyone know the rating of the PST? Is the only difference drilling the holes?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-24-19, 11:53 AM   #7
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about

So here's my take on them. First let me say that GD's have way less clearance then later models.

OK, so I bought a PST CF driveshaft from RSD a couple years ago. It was to cure a problem I was having. On hard launches at the track the driveshaft was really bouncing around. Enough that it was contacting the body of the car. I determined the problem was the 1/2" or so of play in the carrier bearing assembly. It was really moving around in there.

When I fitted the CF driveshaft it was super tight. I'd say less than a millimeter of clearance. It was pretty much kissing the body structure. After talking to RSD and PST they offered to make me a custom shaft. Honestly I have no idea how to accurately measure for that. On the forums "clearancing" (is that a word?) was mentioned. Basically taking a steel pipe and a big hammer and banging on it until the body bends out of the way. Yea... that's not for me. I returned the driveshaft, but still had a problem. I needed to stop the OEM shaft from banging around. I came across a 2-part urethane that comes in different durometer ratings called Liquid Engine Mount. The details are in my build thread on page 9.

Basically I mixed it up and filled the void in the rubber bushing that surrounds the carrier bearing. It worked better than I expected. Not only did it stop the driveshaft from moving around, but now the car takes off very smoothly without any bucking in lower gears. It made it much easier to launch at autocross and time attacks and even from a stop light. In the end I'm glad the CF shaft didn't fit. I got the effect I wanted at $40 instead of $1000. At this point the only advantage a CF shaft has is reduced weight which could translate to quicker response. I did not drive my car with the CF shaft installed I could not make a comparison. I will say I'm very happy with the way things turned out and have no desire to go to a CF shaft at this point.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-24-19, 05:57 PM   #8
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubySal View Post
OK, so I bought a PST CF driveshaft from RSD a couple years ago. . . . It was to cure a problem I was having. On hard launches at the track the driveshaft was really bouncing around. Enough that it was contacting the body of the car. I determined the problem was the 1/2" or so of play in the carrier bearing assembly. It was really moving around in there.

When I fitted the CF driveshaft it was super tight. I'd say less than a millimeter of clearance. It was pretty much kissing the body structure.
You might be the only person that's had a real issue, but your experience is one of several reasons I lean DSS Mine had around an inch of clearance. Are DSS shafts that much smaller in diameter?

Now rereading it, I wonder if there is something with your body. You've had two shafts that hit it. Yeah I realize that when you froze the stock one you solved the issue.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 02-25-19 at 04:06 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-25-19, 03:56 AM   #9
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

I actually will need to be replacing my OEM on my '06 in the near future as well. The u-joint at the diff is starting to bind up. I'm considering the PST due to some of the stuff I've heard about DSS (bolt sizing, some customer service). I know its going to be close but I'm hoping I don't have to "clearance" the tunnel like Suby Sal mentioned... I'm not totally against it tho. We shall see, I'm not sure how soon I'll get to this one.

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-25-19, 04:36 AM   #10
killerbmotorsport
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Car: Blue 05 WRX STi
Fav Mod: It's all good
My Subaru Parts for sale

killerbmotorsport is just really nicekillerbmotorsport is just really nicekillerbmotorsport is just really nicekillerbmotorsport is just really nicekillerbmotorsport is just really nice

I ran a PST in my 05 STi. Had balance issues. Would be 100% unnoticeable on the street, but at a 1/2 mile event it cause severe vibration at +140. Enough that it deflected a good 1/4" and made contact with the shield on the front of the rear diff. PST told me to rotate it 90°. It got worse so we kept rotating it until we got the least amount of vibration, which was marginally better at best. They would not take it back claiming the balance was good to +200mph.

With our 2019 STi I went with DSS.

Now while I did not have them side-by-side, I can shed some light on obvious differences. DSS uses billet aluminum ends, not cast steel. DSS weight is lighter. PST holes where it meets the diff do not need to be enlarged. For now, we kept the stock bolts with our DSS as we are only stage II power levels and I don't want to modify the OEM diff unless we have to. The car has not been driven above a full 4th gear pull (around 110mph I think) but so far balance seems good.

On the larger bolts... When the time comes, I may just drill out the holes in the rear diff. It's not a huge deal as doing that won't hurt anything going back to stock. The bolt heads take the brunt of the load not the bolt shaft. Considering looking into hardened shoulder bolts, but that would require that the heads are modified, but it looks like the DSS supplied bolts are just ground anyway so that may be fine.

OEM Oil Pickup Failures vs. The Ultimate Oil Pickup

World's Best Performing Air Oil Separator

Brushed Delrin Shift knobs - Grab Our Knobs - It's Good Shift! CLICK HERE!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement