Exhaust Cobb exhaust sounds awful - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Cobb exhaust sounds awful
Cobb exhaust sounds awful
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Exhaust Cobb exhaust sounds awful

Old 09-14-19, 10:38 AM   #21
Ebnash
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Drivetrain Bushings and Mounts
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ebnash is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cobb exhaust sounds awful

Yeah, had no concerns about constriction. Just the best exhaust sealing potential.

Exhaust sound is objective, but a I just finished installing Cobb catback on my ‘18 with:

Killer B Holy with Up Pie
Cobb DP
Cobb Intake
Multiple Fuels Mods

To me, it sounds almost exactly like the shitty STI Performance CB I removed. Fat, hollow, drones exactly the same and actually quieter at WOT. Assuming quieter only because it brand new, but more importantly, it sucks for ear pounding drone.

But like a I said, sound is objective. So for me, $1300 for a heavier exhaust system.

Like others have said....It would be nice if someone developed a catback for ELH systems, but I understand that it’s a relatively small market.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-19, 11:01 AM   #22
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebnash View Post
Like others have said....It would be nice if someone developed a catback for ELH systems, but I understand that it’s a relatively small market.
I would assume some are. What MFGs is going to say either way and risk loosing half their market - unless they offer two - even then as you mention exhaust sound is subjective

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-14-19, 11:09 AM   #23
STINick19
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STINick19 is on a distinguished road

I wonder how the HKS Legamax would sound with an ELH & downpipe. The helmholtz resonator would probably help with the drone.

HKS even makes a 29 lb titanium version of it called the "Super Turbo Muffler Ti" if you have a spare $4,800 laying around
New Super Turbo Muffler Ti for 2015+ WRX and WRX STI | HKS USA
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-19, 11:09 AM   #24
EightTenths
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: Lapis Blue '17 STI
Fav Mod: Flex Fuel Tune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

EightTenths will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebnash View Post
Yeah, had no concerns about constriction. Just the best exhaust sealing potential.

Exhaust sound is objective, but a I just finished installing Cobb catback on my ‘18 with:

Killer B Holy with Up Pie
Cobb DP
Cobb Intake
Multiple Fuels Mods

To me, it sounds almost exactly like the shitty STI Performance CB I removed. Fat, hollow, drones exactly the same and actually quieter at WOT. Assuming quieter only because it brand new, but more importantly, it sucks for ear pounding drone.

But like a I said, sound is objective. So for me, $1300 for a heavier exhaust system.

We have a similar setup. The shop that sold me a Cobb Ti exhaust said it sounded similar to the stainless variant even though the Ti does not have a resonator. The first 2-3k miles were deep, drony and quiet up top in the RPMs. After it broke in the drone improved drastically and sound opened up top. Now I’m happy with it. I went through a Q300, AWE touring and settled on the Cobb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-14-19, 11:15 AM   #25
STINick19
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STINick19 is on a distinguished road

I imagine that exhausts designed for the JDM STI will sound better since the EJ207 comes with the twin scroll equal length header. It may be worth searching for some video of JDM exhausts. It's not a direct comparison, but may be close enough.

Last edited by STINick19; 09-14-19 at 11:22 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-14-19, 12:00 PM   #26
Ebnash
Gold Member

Fav Mod: Drivetrain Bushings and Mounts
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ebnash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightTenths View Post
We have a similar setup. The shop that sold me a Cobb Ti exhaust said it sounded similar to the stainless variant even though the Ti does not have a resonator. The first 2-3k miles were deep, drony and quiet up top in the RPMs. After it broke in the drone improved drastically and sound opened up top. Now I’m happy with it. I went through a Q300, AWE touring and settled on the Cobb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's good to hear. I'll give it some time and miles and see how it develops. I guess I could always have an exhaust shop remove the resonator, but I will be patient for now.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement