Exhaust Cobb exhaust sounds awful - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Cobb exhaust sounds awful
Cobb exhaust sounds awful
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Exhaust Cobb exhaust sounds awful
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-14-19, 10:38 AM   #21
Ebnash
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fav Mod: Drivetrain Bushings and Mounts
My Threads
Posts: 142
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Ebnash is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cobb exhaust sounds awful

Yeah, had no concerns about constriction. Just the best exhaust sealing potential.

Exhaust sound is objective, but a I just finished installing Cobb catback on my ‘18 with:

Killer B Holy with Up Pie
Cobb DP
Cobb Intake
Multiple Fuels Mods

To me, it sounds almost exactly like the shitty STI Performance CB I removed. Fat, hollow, drones exactly the same and actually quieter at WOT. Assuming quieter only because it brand new, but more importantly, it sucks for ear pounding drone.

But like a I said, sound is objective. So for me, $1300 for a heavier exhaust system.

Like others have said....It would be nice if someone developed a catback for ELH systems, but I understand that it’s a relatively small market.
Ebnash is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-14-19, 11:01 AM   #22
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SJ USA
mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cobb exhaust sounds awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebnash View Post
Like others have said....It would be nice if someone developed a catback for ELH systems, but I understand that it’s a relatively small market.
I would assume some are. What MFGs is going to say either way and risk loosing half their market - unless they offer two - even then as you mention exhaust sound is subjective
__________________
If someone's description of a mod sounds to good to be true, it probably is !!!

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
mheyman is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 11:09 AM   #23
STINick19
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
Posts: 165
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: W Sac, CA
STINick19 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cobb exhaust sounds awful

I wonder how the HKS Legamax would sound with an ELH & downpipe. The helmholtz resonator would probably help with the drone.

HKS even makes a 29 lb titanium version of it called the "Super Turbo Muffler Ti" if you have a spare $4,800 laying around
New Super Turbo Muffler Ti for 2015+ WRX and WRX STI | HKS USA
STINick19 is online now  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-14-19, 11:09 AM   #24
EightTenths
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car: Lapis Blue '17 STI
Fav Mod: Flex Fuel Tune
My Threads
Posts: 343
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: May 2017
Location: NJ
EightTenths will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cobb exhaust sounds awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebnash View Post
Yeah, had no concerns about constriction. Just the best exhaust sealing potential.

Exhaust sound is objective, but a I just finished installing Cobb catback on my ‘18 with:

Killer B Holy with Up Pie
Cobb DP
Cobb Intake
Multiple Fuels Mods

To me, it sounds almost exactly like the shitty STI Performance CB I removed. Fat, hollow, drones exactly the same and actually quieter at WOT. Assuming quieter only because it brand new, but more importantly, it sucks for ear pounding drone.

But like a I said, sound is objective. So for me, $1300 for a heavier exhaust system.

Like others have said....It would be nice if someone developed a catback for ELH systems, but I understand that it’s a relatively small market.


We have a similar setup. The shop that sold me a Cobb Ti exhaust said it sounded similar to the stainless variant even though the Ti does not have a resonator. The first 2-3k miles were deep, drony and quiet up top in the RPMs. After it broke in the drone improved drastically and sound opened up top. Now I’m happy with it. I went through a Q300, AWE touring and settled on the Cobb.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EightTenths is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 11:15 AM   #25
STINick19
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
Posts: 165
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: W Sac, CA
STINick19 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cobb exhaust sounds awful

I imagine that exhausts designed for the JDM STI will sound better since the EJ207 comes with the twin scroll equal length header. It may be worth searching for some video of JDM exhausts. It's not a direct comparison, but may be close enough.

Last edited by STINick19; 09-14-19 at 11:22 AM.
STINick19 is online now  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 12:00 PM   #26
Ebnash
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fav Mod: Drivetrain Bushings and Mounts
My Threads
Posts: 142
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Ebnash is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cobb exhaust sounds awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightTenths View Post
We have a similar setup. The shop that sold me a Cobb Ti exhaust said it sounded similar to the stainless variant even though the Ti does not have a resonator. The first 2-3k miles were deep, drony and quiet up top in the RPMs. After it broke in the drone improved drastically and sound opened up top. Now I’m happy with it. I went through a Q300, AWE touring and settled on the Cobb.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's good to hear. I'll give it some time and miles and see how it develops. I guess I could always have an exhaust shop remove the resonator, but I will be patient for now.
Ebnash is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS (USA,CA): 08-14 Cobb Exhaust (Downpipe and Exhaust)(Price drop!) Sillyjason Engine/Drivetrain/Performance Parts For Sale 13 03-14-15 12:19 PM
NEW! Tomei V2 Downpipe! + Invidia Sale and MUCH MORE!! 7L Autosport GR-Engine, ECU, Power, Drivetrain 262 01-16-15 12:20 PM
How to: Install Cobb Catback Exhaust (07) empfl DIY Mods & Installations 8 04-19-11 03:30 PM
COBB Access Ports FREE overnight shipping plus COBB exhaust system overstock Fine Line Imports GD-Vendor Classified Ads 0 10-11-07 09:16 AM
Cobb Turbo Back Exhaust 810 Picked Up Va richy_21 Part Outs / Multiple Parts 56 05-19-06 08:39 PM


New To Site? Need Help? More

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Designed & Powered by Domain Architect
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.