Exhaust The boxer knockout. AWE Performance Line for Subaru now available. - Page 12 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
The boxer knockout. AWE Performance Line for Subaru now available.
The boxer knockout. AWE Performance Line for Subaru now available.
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Exhaust The boxer knockout. AWE Performance Line for Subaru now available.

Old 09-03-19, 07:17 AM   #111
Josh/AWE
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Josh/AWE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The boxer knockout. AWE Performance Line for Subaru now available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebnash View Post
Yikes, I'm glad I found this thread. I have an 18 currently with DP and Cobb, only. By next Wednesday, I will have added Cobb Intake, Injectors, FP, FPR, Bosst Control Sol, Killer B ELH, and AOS. I was so close to purchasing the AWE Touring Ed for my car because I hate the SPE exhaust drone. I realize AWE has no drone, but the video posted by member with same setup I'm about to have sounds kind of aweful. I don't know how this could be neighbor friendly and I expected it to sound a little more refined, but it is just pure rasp and he also mentioned popping on downshifts. I have no idea how much louder the Killer B ELH is going to make my car since I already have a DP, but I now I'm a little worried. I start my car at 4:30am. Might be driving my Tacoma to work more often.

I just want something that is throaty and with no drone, but I guess some of the sound profile is due to the Flat 4 design of the EJ. Bummer. I would like to know by what percentage you guys feel like the sound settles down at the breakin point?
Hi there. Our Touring Edition doesn't feature traditional packing material in our 180 Technology resonators -- so the note won't change over time like other brands. They purely fine tune the exhaust note while killing drone-prone frequencies without causing the motor to sound congested like traditional mufflers do. Here's a video of an STI will the Touring Edition and ELH:

https://www.youtube.com/v/wud11TJT0Z8

I'd say about a 15% difference once the system is fully broken in and lined with carbon. It refines out to a fantastic soundtrack. Definitely within my top 5 soundtrack we produce out of our whole catalog.

Last edited by Josh/AWE; 09-03-19 at 07:23 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-19, 07:26 AM   #112
Ebnash
Gold Member

Fav Mod: Drivetrain Bushings and Mounts
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ebnash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh/AWE View Post
Hi there. Our Touring Edition doesn't feature traditional packing material in our 180 Technology resonators -- so the note won't change over time like other brands. They purely fine tune the exhaust note while killing drone-prone frequencies without causing the motor to sound congested like traditional mufflers do. Here's a video of an STI will the Touring Edition and ELH:

movie

I'd say about a 15% difference once the system is fully broken in and lined with carbon. It refines out to a fantastic soundtrack. Definitely within my top 5 soundtrack we produce out of our whole catalog.
This is an amazing soundtrack, but am I correct in saying that this car has an external wastegate fitted and that certainly has an impact in sound here?

I’m still battling in my head between this exhaust and Cobb on my 18 with Killer B + Cobb DP. I’m actually leaning towards AWE this morning, but having a hard time committing either way.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-08-19, 12:34 PM   #113
jaswrx
Developing Advanced Mastery

Car: Black 2015 Limted
Fav Mod: ProTune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jaswrx will become famous soon enough

am I the only one who thinks that sounds awful? Sounds like a can of bees when spooling.

To each their own.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-19, 12:38 PM   #114
Ebnash
Gold Member

Fav Mod: Drivetrain Bushings and Mounts
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ebnash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaswrx View Post
am I the only one who thinks that sounds awful? Sounds like a can of bees when spooling.

To each their own.
Keep in mind, External Waste Gate, plus it’s taken inside a building and the Cobb intake is loud as shit
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-08-19, 12:50 PM   #115
jaswrx

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ya, I hate the cobb intake too. I like hearing the motor, not sucking noises. AEM FTW.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-08-19, 12:52 PM   #116
jaswrx

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

It's really a shame that NONE of the dual catback sound great with ELH. Pretty much every single exit sounds better. Something happens in the Ypipe that causes it to sound funny.

GD Subarus sound so much better.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement