Exhaust Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust - Page 15 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust
Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Exhaust Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust

Old 04-11-19, 03:12 PM   #141
05 CGM Sti
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 19 CWP Sti
Fav Mod: Not being pulled over
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

05 CGM Sti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust

I have the Cobb Ti catback on my19. Only put 100 miles on it though so far, but cold starts are loud. My neighbors are complaining about it when I leave at 8am. Once the system warms up, it mellows down. I'm in the SF bay area, and I haven't seen any other STI run it around here. For a catback it sounds amazing, but in Cali it might get the CHP to notice you. ($1100 ticket for modified exhaust) I will say though, It's over 95db when cold, and around 85db when warmed up. Ti takes time to warm up, so keep that in mind. It DOES HAVE LESS DRONE THAN THE STOCK EXHAUST!

Video in my post was a warm start after I already took it for a drive. You will still be noticeable when it's warmed up though.

Stock my19 STI Cobb Titanium exhaust

Gone but not forgotten

2004 Audi S4
2005 CGM STi
2007 WRB STi
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-19, 03:53 PM   #142
05 CGM Sti

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I also had the original Tanabe full Ti medalion catback on my05. Was super loud without the suppressor for being a single exit catback.

On my07, I went with a Maddad whisper turbo-back exhaust. Catted DP with divorced wastegate. This was by far the quietest turbo-back exhaust ever. 0 drone, and it was quieter than the catback i'm running now on my19. GST in Hayward CA pro-tuned was 273whp 293wtq with a pro tune on their mustang dyno.

On my audi s4 (4.2 V8) , I had purchased a Milltek H-pipe non-res catback. It was disappointing because it was too quiet. Swapped that out for a Fast Intentions x-pipe non res and was very happy. Brought the volume up and sounded better being a x-pipe.

Maddad made the quietest tbe IMO.

Gone but not forgotten

2004 Audi S4
2005 CGM STi
2007 WRB STi
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-19, 11:25 AM   #143
dlheman
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2011 WRX STI UK-Type
Fav Mod: Those STI flexible parts and IHI VF56
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

dlheman will become famous soon enough

I think what makes a turbo back loud is because most aftermarket downpipe uses 1 cat instead of 2 cats.

I know this because when I was on stock VF48 turbo; just Corsa catback is eerily quiet inside the car until I give it full throttle - but even then it isn't loud inside the car (but what a sound).

Then I added a 3inch downpipe with a single high flow cat and that thing screams volume.

Later on I converted to VF56 twinscroll turbo and have to get HKS downpipe which has 2 cats like OEM for compliances - and suddenly the Corsa catback becomes less loud, somewhere in between stock downpipe and 3" downpipe with single cat.

The only quiet turboback exhaust I could think of is Miltek and Supersprint (they got an amazing looking manifold too!). European design for European sound, but also very European in price.

But if someone knows a good exhaust shop, maybe make a catback with Vibrant ultra quiet resonator and use something like Apexi WS2 muffler (or other similarly constructed Jazma approved muffler).

Last edited by dlheman; 04-14-19 at 08:12 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-19, 04:00 PM   #144
jaswrx
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Black 2015 Limted
Fav Mod: ProTune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jaswrx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlheman View Post
I think what makes a turbo back loud is because most aftermarket catback uses 1 cat instead of 2 cats.

I know this because when I was on stock VF48 turbo; just Corsa catback is eerily quiet inside the car until I give it full throttle - but even then it isn't loud inside the car (but what a sound).

Then I added a 3inch downpipe with a single high flow cat and that thing screams volume.

Later on I converted to VF56 twinscroll turbo and have to get HKS downpipe which has 2 cats like OEM for compliances - and suddenly the Corsa catback becomes less loud, somewhere in between stock downpipe and 3" downpipe with single cat.

The only quiet turboback exhaust I could think of is Miltek and Supersprint (they got an amazing looking manifold too!). European design for European sound, but also very European in price.

But if someone knows a good exhaust shop, maybe make a catback with Vibrant ultra quiet resonator and use something like Apexi WS2 muffler (or other similarly constructed Jazma approved muffler).
Milltek is not all that quiet either, especially with ELH. The WS2 muffler is the quietest muffler period. I have heavily considered welding one in place of my Corsa bc the tone is similar, just quiter, and the Corsa is definitely one of the more tolerable exhaust out there for our cars so WS2 muffler would be just right for the daily driven 15+. I had it on my last car and loved it. It was a perfect balance. I have even gone to such great lengths to try and make Apexi build one (using my car as the test model) for a WS2 catback.

Last edited by jaswrx; 04-14-19 at 06:57 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-14-19, 08:09 PM   #145
dlheman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaswrx View Post
Milltek is not all that quiet either, especially with ELH. The WS2 muffler is the quietest muffler period. I have heavily considered welding one in place of my Corsa bc the tone is similar, just quiter, and the Corsa is definitely one of the more tolerable exhaust out there for our cars so WS2 muffler would be just right for the daily driven 15+. I had it on my last car and loved it. It was a perfect balance. I have even gone to such great lengths to try and make Apexi build one (using my car as the test model) for a WS2 catback.
Hmmm, interesting that the Miltek isn't quiet with the ELH. Is that with non-Miltek downpipe? If you look at the Miltek full downpipe assembly it has 2 catalyst - which to me must be what made it quiet (similar to my twinscroll setup with HKS dual catalyst downpipe bolted to Corsa catback).

Well, WS2 is indeed awesome. I love it it too. In fact, all of these Jazma muffler (I called it that because back then everyone from Greddy, Apexi and Tanabe have the exact same shape muffler which are all Jazma approved) does have a great mellow tone to it. I would still add Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator though.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-15-19, 06:32 AM   #146
IndyStig
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Stock and staying that way
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

IndyStig is an unknown quantity at this point

The HKS Super Turbo actually sounds pretty quiet.

Video paired with a catless downpipe.

https://www.youtube.com/v/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krod3AdqJz8
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-15-19, 07:02 AM   #147
dlheman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Another good contender is the GReddy Sp catback.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-15-19, 07:08 AM   #148
dlheman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

This is the full Miltek turboback. I am not sure if this uses single or dual high-flow cat (the Miltek downpipe is 2 pieces, so you can select to run the first half catless and the second half with cat, or whichever way you want). But I will assume this is with dual catalyst.

https://www.youtube.com/v/watch?v=BnmTo-6HQtg

But I also know a 2011 STI with miltek catless (which I just remembered it actually belongs to my friend before he sold it). I think he installed Tomei EL manifold too.
https://www.youtube.com/v/watch?v=x9cpGqOiYWg

Compare that to my car when it was just using Corsa catback (stock everything else inc intake).
https://www.youtube.com/v/watch?v=-6oFZDmyeiY
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-15-19, 10:03 AM   #149
05 CGM Sti

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cold start after 2 days of sitting. No mods, just the Cobb Ti catback exhaust. Idle was at 1500rpm when the video ended.

Cold start after 2 days Cobb Ti catback only - YouTube

Gone but not forgotten

2004 Audi S4
2005 CGM STi
2007 WRB STi
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-15-19, 03:11 PM   #150
dlheman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 CGM Sti View Post
Cold start after 2 days of sitting. No mods, just the Cobb Ti catback exhaust. Idle was at 1500rpm when the video ended.

Cold start after 2 days Cobb Ti catback only - YouTube
Hey that sounds alright. About the same level as Corsa.

But I think it will get very loud once you add a downpipe.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement