Exhaust Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust - Page 13 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust
Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Exhaust Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust

Old 11-16-18, 08:22 AM   #121
boostedEP3
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

boostedEP3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust

Corsa was my choice. I did consider AWE and Cobb too.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-18, 08:50 PM   #122
jaswrx
Developing Advanced Mastery

Car: Black 2015 Limted
Fav Mod: ProTune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jaswrx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedEP3 View Post
Corsa was my choice. I did consider AWE and Cobb too.
I agree, and even better when you weld the Y-pipe, so flow is only from one muffler.

Doing this to any of the catback exhausts makes it better.

The Corsa is just so airy and snarkily sounding, which no one else can replicate. I like that it nearly cuts the super boomy and low frequencies that are annoying.

Last edited by jaswrx; 12-16-18 at 03:02 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-15-18, 06:35 AM   #123
murfnamedsmurf
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 2012 DGM STI 5 door
Fav Mod: No car payment
My Subaru Parts for sale

murfnamedsmurf has a spectacular aura aboutmurfnamedsmurf has a spectacular aura aboutmurfnamedsmurf has a spectacular aura about

Just looked up the price of the Milltek for the 2015+. Wowww I thought it was bad for the GR

At any rate, as mentioned I have the GR not the VA, but I did finally get ahold of a Milltek CBE. I'm very happy with it, to me it is sort of what you would expect if you got a performance exhaust from an OEM, sort of how M cars or Infinity cars sound from the factory. Still plenty of sound in my opinion, but not crossing over into noise. Without a doubt quieter than the SPT was stock, and sounds 10,000x better than the SPT did with aftermarket downpipe and ELH. No issues with resonance with the Milltek.

To be honest, I don't find the exhaust note to be hugely changed with the ELH. It definitely sounds different as described above, but it still does not sound like an inline 4 to me or anything like that.

I had a little bit of trouble getting everything aligned but nothing major and I got it bolted up without an assistant. I could do without the polished finish but it's not that bad...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-18, 04:01 PM   #124
EightTenths
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: Lapis Blue '17 STI
Fav Mod: Flex Fuel Tune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

EightTenths will become famous soon enough
Default Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust

Stock like sound level turbo back exhaust is what I’m currently evaluating. Cobb downpipe and titanium exhaust. 75dB crusing inside the cabin vs 72dB with a stock exhaust. Tone is similar just a little bit louder. The low frequency bass when AVCS kicks in at 3k is just like stock as well. It’s a bit quieter than Q300 when new but without baffles that break down I anticipate Cobb will stay consistent over time. I have no idea why a non resonated titanium exhaust is so tame so there’s room to add a Vibrant resonator or Helmholtz in the midpipe to tame it even more. But any quieter just stay stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by EightTenths; 12-15-18 at 04:12 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-18-18, 08:29 AM   #125
NoNoBadDog
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

NoNoBadDog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightTenths View Post
Stock like sound level turbo back exhaust is what I’m currently evaluating. Cobb downpipe and titanium exhaust. 75dB crusing inside the cabin vs 72dB with a stock exhaust. Tone is similar just a little bit louder. The low frequency bass when AVCS kicks in at 3k is just like stock as well. It’s a bit quieter than Q300 when new but without baffles that break down I anticipate Cobb will stay consistent over time. I have no idea why a non resonated titanium exhaust is so tame so there’s room to add a Vibrant resonator or Helmholtz in the midpipe to tame it even more. But any quieter just stay stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just installed a Cobb catted DP with my already installed AWE Touring CB. It is quite a bit louder now. Cruising is OK, but when accelerating it is noticeably louder than with the stock DP/AWE combo. I really like the unique sound of the AWE, but I don't think my neighbors feel the same now that the volume is clicked up a notch.

I am now starting to consider changing to another cat back to bring the volume back down while retaining the DP. In your testing is the Cobb Ti CB noticeably quieter than the AWE throughout the RPM range?

I have read that Milltek ($$$$) and possibly the Perrin dual tube CB are quieter options, too. Anyone have feedback on them with an aftermarket DP?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-18-18, 09:50 AM   #126
jaswrx
Developing Advanced Mastery

Car: Black 2015 Limted
Fav Mod: ProTune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jaswrx will become famous soon enough

Corsa FTW! Loud at all right frequencies, but filters all that low end crap.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-18-18, 12:23 PM   #127
EightTenths

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNoBadDog View Post
I just installed a Cobb catted DP with my already installed AWE Touring CB. It is quite a bit louder now. Cruising is OK, but when accelerating it is noticeably louder than with the stock DP/AWE combo. I really like the unique sound of the AWE, but I don't think my neighbors feel the same now that the volume is clicked up a notch.

I am now starting to consider changing to another cat back to bring the volume back down while retaining the DP. In your testing is the Cobb Ti CB noticeably quieter than the AWE throughout the RPM range?

I have read that Milltek ($$$$) and possibly the Perrin dual tube CB are quieter options, too. Anyone have feedback on them with an aftermarket DP?
It's about 2-3 dB difference cruising with Cobb Ti vs. AWE/T paired with a Cobb DP. WOT they are equally loud on the dB meter although AWE seems louder... it is also the better sounding one. I find myself upshifting with the Cobb to get it out of the 3k RPM drone zone where AVCS kicks in and downshifting with the AWE to lower its volume. AWE as you know just doesn't register that annoying AVCS drone. I've heard Milltek in videos but not in person. I have a hard time believing it is quieter than a Cobb Ti. Crusing Cobb Ti is 75-76 dB and stock CBE is 73 dB. If Cobb was quieter it's kinda pointless... it's probably why it doesn't have a resonator, it would be too quiet. I think if the AWE was 2 dB quieter it would be perfect mated with a downpipe.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-18-18, 04:48 PM   #128
NoNoBadDog
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

@EightTenths thanks for your reply. I am wondering if a Milltek catted & resonated DP would tone things down to an acceptable level without giving up performance. That way I could stay with the AWE CB.

Thoughts on my theory?

Are there any Milltek dealers in the US?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-18-18, 06:35 PM   #129
EightTenths

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNoBadDog View Post
@EightTenths thanks for your reply. I am wondering if a Milltek catted & resonated DP would tone things down to an acceptable level without giving up performance. That way I could stay with the AWE CB.

Thoughts on my theory?

Are there any Milltek dealers in the US?
Yes I think adding a resonator will help tame it. Issue is we can only fit bullet style next to the drive shaft but fitting one at the DP is a great idea.

Prime Motoring can you anything. I met a customer of theirs last weekend building an iAG stg2 tuff GR STI with Milltek resonated catted DP and catback. He didn’t like the drone caused by Cobb CBE in his hatch. His build is still waiting on some parts so I’m looking forward to hearing it!

Last edited by EightTenths; 12-18-18 at 06:39 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-18-18, 08:44 PM   #130
NoNoBadDog
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightTenths View Post
Yes I think adding a resonator will help tame it. Issue is we can only fit bullet style next to the drive shaft but fitting one at the DP is a great idea.

Prime Motoring can you anything. I met a customer of theirs last weekend building an iAG stg2 tuff GR STI with Milltek resonated catted DP and catback. He didn’t like the drone caused by Cobb CBE in his hatch. His build is still waiting on some parts so I’m looking forward to hearing it!
That is where I purchased my AWE CB. I will reach out to them about the Milltek DP.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement