Exhaust Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust - Page 11 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust
Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Exhaust Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust

Old 11-04-18, 05:43 AM   #101
murfnamedsmurf
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2012 DGM STI 5 door
Fav Mod: No car payment
My Subaru Parts for sale

murfnamedsmurf has a spectacular aura aboutmurfnamedsmurf has a spectacular aura aboutmurfnamedsmurf has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Quiet -- stock like sound level -- turbo back exhaust

Thouuuught I had replied to this but maybe not. (I did)

JW thanks for the tip. I did talk to them, they didn't anticipate being able to ship for several weeks. I'm talking to another American company and a British one to see what kind of prices and lead times I'm looking at. I've waited this long so I don't care if it's here within a week, but I also don't want to wait 3 more months especially now that I've swapped the ELH and downpipe and expect to dislike the resulting interaction with my SPT.

PURE thanks as well. I was looking through their other offerings and I was indeed intrigued by the Super Turbo. It sounded nice in the video and I do like the overall look minus the tips (can't get past the giant dual exit). I don't know if having each runner pass through both silencers actually does anything, but it's cool if it does and I do like the look. Unfortunately, I can't wait for them to decide about building one with quad exit. For the price of the Milltek I guess I could potentially get the HKS and have a shop weld on different tips, I just hate the idea of hacking up a brand new $1000 modification. I toyed with the idea of buying a welder and learning as I go while adding a resonator to my SPT but the last thing I need is more "occasional use" equipment. And if I'm putting forth any effort on this whole shebang I do want to go ahead and have a 3" exhaust for the future.

I did cancel my order with RSD and won't buy from them again due to the combination of this situation along with other issues I've had. I realize they are huge and won't know the difference and that's fine, but I will feel better giving my money to a company that deserves it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-18, 01:44 AM   #102
heeltoe624
Contributor

Car: White Pearl 2015 STi
Fav Mod: Tomei EL
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

heeltoe624 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURE STI View Post
The HKS Legamax Premium and HKS Super Turbo Muffler are the quietest catback exhausts for the 2011+ STI. I've heard everything out there including Corsa, Cobb, ARK, Milltek, Grimmspeed, Maddad and the Q300 to name a few and they are all louder. The HKS systems have a Helmholtz Resonator in the middle for frequency tuning which is the main reason. The Super Turbo Muffler is actually quieter than the Legamax Premium because of the exhaust tips which kinda sucks because they look better. HKS muffler angle and tip arrangement is also perfect! Many other cbe systems have the mufflers & tips sitting in such a way they look as if they are pointing down.
The stock catback is fairly quite when attached to a properly fitted downpipe with HFC like Cobb. The HKS is louder than the stock exhaust when attached to the same downpipe and in all fairness it should be, but barely.
HKS is also releasing an anniversary edition full Titanium Super Turbo Muffler for anyone who wants to spend around $4k. Looks hot though!

yup confirm on that i am running a lachute exhaust on my 2015 STI and i still have the HKS legal max sitting in the back yard and when it was on the car it was actually too quite, i can hear my bpv every shift lol only thing i didnt like were the huge exhaust tips.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-05-18, 11:59 AM   #103
S2000_Europe
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

S2000_Europe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000_Europe View Post
Today I used an Apple app to measure the noise inside de car. I know is not the most scientific study but is the noise level that I heard inside de car. The phone placed in the central cupholders next to hand brake
. Here are the details:

STI MY17 with KB ELH, HKS Funnel, Cobb downpipe, STP Exhaust.
Radio off, Aircon off
Tires 265 Bridgestone RE-01

Normal driving was btw 3k and 4k @50 mph. I did some pulls to 6k and when reducing gears was using heal and toe. Top speed during the pulls was 70 mph.

I lost the file, but remember that the highest noise level, using Z frecuency, was 93db. At ilde was 85db.

At the end I got a nice offer to buy the Q300 single Exhaust. One I installed will repeat the test

J

Finally I installed the exhaust and swapped the Cobb downpipe for a coated Grimmspeed DP at the same time. It is the last time I decided to do all together on jack stands alone, I am to old for this

I have drove the car only 20 miles, I do not want to get into boost zone because I do not have tuned the car.

First impresions: so far, below 4K, the sound is different but not louder, using the same app to measure the STP, I got 88 db. THe Q300 single is much lighter than SPT. The 4in tailpipe fits nicely in the exhaust hole

Once I got the tune an more miles with report results
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-18, 06:21 PM   #104
aka
Becoming A Contributor

Car: 18 WRB STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

aka is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool! Would you mind recording sound clips with your single exit Q300 Set up? I may go the same route and purchase a single exit Q300 come this Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000_Europe View Post
Finally I installed the exhaust and swapped the Cobb downpipe for a coated Grimmspeed DP at the same time. It is the last time I decided to do all together on jack stands alone, I am to old for this

I have drove the car only 20 miles, I do not want to get into boost zone because I do not have tuned the car.

First impresions: so far, below 4K, the sound is different but not louder, using the same app to measure the STP, I got 88 db. THe Q300 single is much lighter than SPT. The 4in tailpipe fits nicely in the exhaust hole

Once I got the tune an more miles with report results
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-06-18, 07:10 PM   #105
S2000_Europe
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

S2000_Europe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka View Post
Cool! Would you mind recording sound clips with your single exit Q300 Set up? I may go the same route and purchase a single exit Q300 come this Christmas

Once the exhaust is settle down will try to record a sound clip. I know there is one in youtube. it is a silver sti from Florida
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-07-18, 01:42 PM   #106
jaswrx
Developing Advanced Mastery

Car: Black 2015 Limted
Fav Mod: ProTune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jaswrx will become famous soon enough

do any of the older single exit exhaust work/fit (like from the older GR)?

I have come to the conclusion after having a few different exhausts, single always sounds nicer (cleaner tone), especially on ELH.

Something about the dual (y pipe) really messes with the sound.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-07-18, 02:54 PM   #107
motivatedtuna
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: Nameless muffler delete
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

motivatedtuna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaswrx View Post
do any of the older single exit exhaust work/fit (like from the older GR)?

I have come to the conclusion after having a few different exhausts, single always sounds nicer (cleaner tone), especially on ELH.

Something about the dual (y pipe) really messes with the sound.

I have the Cobb for my GD and VA. And I have to say it's super quiet with single exit on my GD. The quad tips on my VA even though it's quiet creates enough deep rumble to give me a headache on long trips. Both cars stage 3+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-07-18, 08:42 PM   #108
jaswrx

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

what I am asking is can one buy a GD exhaust and put it on a VA.

The Cobb from the GD sounds better than dual setup found on the VA, and I was a big fan.

I personally hated the Cobb exhaust on my VA. Way too deep and intruded horribly in the cabin. The Corsa was soooooo much better, even though it was much louder. The amount of complaints from family and friends with my Cobb setup didn't help either.

My favorite exhaust (only made for GD), and really nothing comes close (corsa is the closest) is the Apexi WS2. I really want to put that on my car, which is why I am asking.

I assume the fitment would be all kinds of messed up, but maybe an exhaust shop could get it to work?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-08-18, 05:20 AM   #109
PURE STI
Becoming An Advanced Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 06 STI/08 STI/15 STI
Fav Mod: Suspension
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

PURE STI is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaswrx View Post
what I am asking is can one buy a GD exhaust and put it on a VA.

The Cobb from the GD sounds better than dual setup found on the VA, and I was a big fan.

I personally hated the Cobb exhaust on my VA. Way too deep and intruded horribly in the cabin. The Corsa was soooooo much better, even though it was much louder. The amount of complaints from family and friends with my Cobb setup didn't help either.

My favorite exhaust (only made for GD), and really nothing comes close (corsa is the closest) is the Apexi WS2. I really want to put that on my car, which is why I am asking.

I assume the fitment would be all kinds of messed up, but maybe an exhaust shop could get it to work?
The GD stuff will not fit the GV/VA platforms without someone fabricating it to fit. The main reason the GD stuff sounds better is because the acoustics aren't split in two at the axle like the late model cars. A single exit exhaust will always sound better on a EJ than a dual especially when acoustics for daily driving are important. I had several systems on my 06 STI from Fujitsubo, Cobb, and eventually the HKS STM which was my favorite. All these, without question sounded better than my 15 STI does with the HKS Legamax Premium.
The main issue you'll find trying to purchase an single exit for the late model cars is all the systems are made for "racing" which makes them loud/er than preferred. No company I'm aware of makes a touring style muffler single exit exhaust for the GV/VA chassis so anything like you are describing must be custom made.
Also consider the car itself has different acoustics so making an exhaust to mimic the same thing on a GD may not yield the exact results you expect.

Not sure if mentioned in previous posts, but any EJ equipped Subaru with the addition of an EL header will sound quieter due to the pulse frequency being evenly spaced. Maybe this would help if you haven't done it yet.

I wish Fujitsubo didn't step down the primary pipe size to 70mm when they use to make the GD stuff 76mm! If they made their new systems with a 76mm primary they would easily be at the same level as HKS or quieter depending on cbe model compared. They have a quad carbon tipped system system that would look awesome! Akropovic Also would be nice but they said they aren't interested in making exhausts for Japanese cars unless it's the R35 GTR...sad. The EvoX system they sell the least numbers of and is what made them decide the Subaru market wasn't worth investing in...Im sure they're right.

Last edited by PURE STI; 11-08-18 at 07:40 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-08-18, 09:56 AM   #110
jaswrx

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

it seems this is the only one with "touring" that is single exit.

Invidia Q300 Cat Back Exhaust Single Subaru WRX / STI 2015-2019 – Import Image Racing
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement