Suspension/Stiffening My Impressions of Swift Spec-R Springs - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
My Impressions of Swift Spec-R Springs
My Impressions of Swift Spec-R Springs
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Suspension/Stiffening My Impressions of Swift Spec-R Springs

Old 07-26-16, 06:32 AM   #1
Ouhei
Becoming An Advanced Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ouhei is on a distinguished road
Default My Impressions of Swift Spec-R Springs

I finally got around to installing my Swift Spec-R springs this weekend and wanted to share my impressions of them so far.

Install
There are several DIYs for installing springs out there so I won't go in to detail but overall the install wasn't too bad. It took me and a buddy about 4 hours to do the install and everything went smoothly. If you're mechanically inclined it's a pretty straight forward task, it definitely helps to have a friend there to help though. I ended up within OEM spec for rear camber with the OEM control arms (I am NOT running anything other than the springs), front was adjusted to OEM spec without issue, but I am having the front redone with -1.5 or so to even things out.

An additional thing to note for install: This seems really obvious, but we missed it when we did our initial install. On the front make sure your top plate is at the same angle as the bottom plate. They should be like this /spring/, but we managed to install them like this \spring/. After few weeks this allowed the spring to come unseated, causing a popping noise over bumps at lower speeds and the whole car will feel a bit harsher over bumps (this is because your suspension geometry is off). It will also cause the fronts to sit higher than they should. I feel pretty dumb for missing it, but it makes a huge difference in performance.

Drop
The springs are advertised as a 1" drop. For me that has resulted in about a finger of wheel gap all around. To me the gap is pretty much perfect, it eliminates the fairly large factory gap but keeps the car high enough that driving it around town isn't a massive pain in the butt. I've taken several speed bumps since installing and it's cleared great so far.

Performance
The spring rates are fairly close to stock, just a bit stiffer. the additional stiffness helps keep the car a bit flatter when cornering. It's not a huge difference but it does make you feel a bit more confident pushing through turns as you don't feel the car lean/toss you back nearly as much. After having these for several months I'm still really happy. Read my additional install note for the small issue I had, but after we corrected our mistake they feel even better than they did before.

Comfort
Since the rates are stiffer than stock and you're lowered, comfort is a bit different. The ride is a bit stiffer but not by much. I sort of think it feels how the STI would feel if it had a dampening adjustable suspension and you put it in sport/race. There's a little more road noise since the tires are closer to the fenders but it's not a huge increase by any means.

Overall
I'm extremely happy with the Swift Spec-R springs! they offer what I consider to be a perfect drop for a daily driven car, a slightly stiffer/sportier ride that makes the car feel more planted in corners and it doesn't greatly sacrifice driving comfort. In my opinion the STI comes with a pretty nice suspension setup directly from Subaru and I think these springs are a great upgrade without having to spend $2k+ on a full replacement.

Here are some pictures of my STI after the install:

New Footwork 01 by Alex Boyd, on Flickr

New Footwork 02 by Alex Boyd, on Flickr

New Footwork 03 by Alex Boyd, on Flickr

Special thanks goes out to KamiSpeed for the great deal on the springs. They were incredibly helpful throughout the process. Shout out to Josh for answering all of my questions as well, I bugged him constantly and he was always responsive and friendly.

Edit: Added some updates since I've been on these for a few months now.

Last edited by Ouhei; 12-05-16 at 07:50 AM.
Likes 6 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-16, 01:08 PM   #2
RussellX
Platinum Member

Car: 2019 Red WRX STi
Fav Mod: Cobb Accessport V3
My Subaru Parts for sale

RussellX has a spectacular aura aboutRussellX has a spectacular aura aboutRussellX has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: My Impressions of Swift Spec-R Springs

Nice looking good, Swift springs are great quality stuff, i believe Stance coilovers use swift springs.
Btw can i get specs on the wheels?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-26-16, 07:00 PM   #3
Ouhei

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellX View Post
Nice looking good, Swift springs are great quality stuff, i believe Stance coilovers use swift springs.
Btw can i get specs on the wheels?
Swifts are an upgrade option on them, yeah. They make really nice springs!

My TE's are 18x8.5 +30 (+50 with a 20mm spacer)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-16, 06:01 AM   #4
GWOT
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: White '13 STi hatch
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

GWOT is on a distinguished road

Almost every coilover company that offers "upgrade" or different springrate are all with Swift Springs, that says something. I live in Canada and have to pay an extra 40% because of the exchange rate... So I couldn't pull the trigger. You're making me a very jelly man.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-27-16, 10:40 AM   #5
Cflo23
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: 2015 STI DGM
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cflo23 is on a distinguished road

Did you install rear control arms ?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-27-16, 02:09 PM   #6
RussellX
Platinum Member

Car: 2019 Red WRX STi
Fav Mod: Cobb Accessport V3
My Subaru Parts for sale

RussellX has a spectacular aura aboutRussellX has a spectacular aura aboutRussellX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouhei View Post

My TE's are 18x8.5 +30 (+50 with a 20mm spacer)
im guessing the rotational mass weight reduction from those wheels also made a difference in handling, acceleration, braking?

stock rims are about 24 lbs and the volks are about 16lbs, so 8 lbs drop from each corner definitely should make a difference.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-27-16, 02:40 PM   #7
Ouhei

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cflo23 View Post
Did you install rear control arms ?
I did not, the camber doesn't look too bad, but I'll find out when I get it aligned. I'll buy some if it's really high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellX View Post
im guessing the rotational mass weight reduction from those wheels also made a difference in handling, acceleration, braking?

stock rims are about 24 lbs and the volks are about 16lbs, so 8 lbs drop from each corner definitely should make a difference.
Maybe a bit more spry, but not a ton of difference in normal driving.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-07-16, 01:34 AM   #8
evilbits
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

evilbits is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you have to trim the bump stops? I just ordered these for my 2017 WRX from kamispeed.com and was warned by a person in a group that I am in that they are EXTREMELY bouncy. Do you find them to be bouncy?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-08-16, 02:33 PM   #9
Ouhei

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbits View Post
Did you have to trim the bump stops? I just ordered these for my 2017 WRX from kamispeed.com and was warned by a person in a group that I am in that they are EXTREMELY bouncy. Do you find them to be bouncy?
I did not trim the stops, every install I found for these springs did not include it so I didn't. I haven't noticed hitting them on any dips or anything yet. They are definitely stiffer (which can be considered more bouncy) than the OEM spring setup on the STI, but like I said in the first post it feels like what the car would feel like with an adjustable suspension and you threw it in to sport/race. Definitely not a jarring ride, my wife has ridden in the car plenty since install and hasn't complained.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 10-04-16, 07:09 AM   #10
Cflo23
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: 2015 STI DGM
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cflo23 is on a distinguished road

Any updates with your setup ? I just picked up a set not sure if I need to buy rear control arms as well?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement