IW STi Forum banner

Stage 1 vs Stock Tune

Engine 
25K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  racinJason 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey, got a question, hows the stock tune on 2015+ sti, is it the same as 08-14 or better?
I was thinking to get a Pro tune from Cobb, something like stage 1, im not looking to gain any big power, i just want the engine to run perfect.
My car will be pretty much stock, No performance mods. Just a catch can and maybe catback.

edit:
about the catch can, is it important to have on stock power levels? i was reading this http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lit...e-venting-o-separators-catch-cans-thread.html and it says that
"These problems usually don’t occur in a stock STi because the boost and performance levels are not high enough to cause any blow by."
stock venting system is designed to be sufficient for its performance level

#6 ·
So does the AP and Stage 1 map download totally void the warranty? I know its a been discussed to death, but is it easy to just remove the AP and revert back? I know that they'd still know, but for simple warranty stuff, they probably wouldn't look that hard ???

Also, Is the stage1 map really better for reliability on out cars ? I know that this has been discussed before too....

#8 ·
I run a custom map that uses Cobb's OTS stage 1 with the factory throttle mappings applied. I really like the factory "Sport #" setting--for me, it's the best of both worlds combined with the other improvements of the Cobb tune.

Hey, got a question, hows the stock tune on 2015+ sti, is it the same as 08-14 or better?
I was thinking to get a Pro tune from Cobb, something like stage 1, im not looking to gain any big power, i just want the engine to run perfect.
My car will be pretty much stock, No performance mods. Just a catch can and maybe catback.

#12 ·
Asking wont hurt, the worse they can say is no.

Afaik, Annapolis Subaru is one of the few that are fine with some mods. I don't know far indepth they go though.

But as far as the tune there is a good deal of difference between the tunes, but most will say it now comes from the factory as a "Stage 1" car now as tests have shown. Its just emissions that beat it down while trying to achieve those numbers, that's why it runs lean into boost and all this other crazy see you see when logging...its saddening. It will definitely overboost on the S# setting as well.

#13 ·
By overboost are you referring to the boost spikes you experience on the stock tune (hitting a peak PSI of say 18.2)? That's really not 'overboosting'. Overboosting is when you exceed the capabilities of the wastegate. You're really not doing that with those typical boost spikes. I have seen/experienced actual overboost in my 2013 with the stock tune. Never on the 2015.

#17 ·
#18 ·
The stock tune is very rich. All the way. On higher loads the AFR is 9.5:1 vs the OTS stage one which is 11~11.7:1.

The stock tune is designed to advancd timing to seek the maximum performance. That's why it's knocking and learns where the knock happened and apply the correction. Once you hit the same load again without knocking it advance the timing back to regain the performance until another knock event occurs and so on.
Stage 1 will feel better on the car definitely and will save more fuel.
I suggest that you go to stage 1 open source tune. So you don't have to pay for the access port. If you liked it, Keep it or get an access port.

Or you can switch back to the oem tune at anytime.

#20 ·
Well after hours of research it looks like the stock tune is not bad at all, you just gotta downshift to get it up above 4k rpm before you Hit the gas so youre not puttin stress on ringlands and you should the fine.
It looka like the stage 1 tune does small changes, but which car came with perfect stock tune?
i think you just gotta know how to drive this car so you dont have any problems with the engine.

#22 ·
If the car didn't run LEAN into boost on the stock tune then I wouldn't care so much nor bring it up, also that aggressive timing up top didn't give me the best feels either.

Either way, if the open/closed loop fueling wasn't such a bitch on the stock tune then there would be even less issues.

#27 ·
the stock tune may not be healthy for your car, but you have warranty if something goes wrong.

I have heard from several tuners that the stock tune is always correcting for knock, and at least out here in CA, -5 is common, and almost normal. Very aggressive timing as the turbo spools.

The stock throttle mapping is also aggressive, and that is a personal preferance thing.

I know some people who run stock throttle mapping with OTS stage 1.

Again, there is no difference in power as the 15+ tunes are pretty darn aggressive, unlike they used to be.

IMO, you are wasting your time with Cobb OTS or even a Protune Stage 1. Almost no gains, although safer. Just go to Stage 2 (downpipe + Fuel Pump) and be done.

The intake is not adding much at all, and IMO, the Cobb one sounds like you have a waterfall in your car. Not my style to say the least.

I never understood the reason for people wanting different boost levels on different SI-drives. I like always having maximum boost, but different throttle mapping.

#28 ·
In terms of "feel" the difference between stock and stage 1 OTS is negligible. But in terms of speed, the car will deff be faster with the stage 1 tune. You get torque earlier and it doesnt fall on ts face as badly when you get towards redline. This can be seen with almost every dyno graph i've seen. You may lose some of the character in the car but it will definitely pull harder for longer with a stage 1 tune.

#29 ·
I ran the stage 1 Cobb OTS (93) a few days before I installed my header. I was honestly underwhelmed. It felt a bit faster, but not much. I felt the engine was a lot safer and some of the weird little quirks were gone.

Now I'm running a E-Tune using a ELH on a stock down pipe with a AEM dry filter and a perrin maf tube (for sound tube delete purposes). I asked my tuner to run stock levels of boost on I (14.5 psi), and he settled at 18.5 psi on S and S#. I use I-mode for my daily duties in traffic and thought the 8 psi cobb used was pointless.

Now my I-mode with the ELH at 14.5 psi peak boost is a lot more fun that the stock map on S. The car runs smoother, likes to rev, and has a meaty torque band above 3k. And I don't over boost any more (at least not noticeable to me). I wish my car came with the tune I have and an ELH from the factory. It would have saved me a small fortune...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.