Engine Engine Break In Period - Page 36 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Engine Break In Period
Engine Break In Period
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Engine Engine Break In Period
View Poll Results: Will you follow the break in requirement?
Follow break in period full 1000 miles 305 65.45%
Give it a couple hundred miles then open her up 89 19.10%
What break in period. Let it fly. 72 15.45%
Voters: 466. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-19, 06:24 AM   #351
STINick19
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STINick19 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Engine Break In Period

There's a good youtube video comparing the two break-in methods on freshly machined motorcycle engines.

Busting The Engine Break In Myth | MC Garage - YouTube

In the end, the compression and leak down results were identical. The "hard" break-in engine had a slightly larger piston ring end gap (0.0145" vs 0.0150"). That's a 0.0005", or 3.3%, difference.

Keep in mind these engines were freshly machined before break-in. If Subaru has the engine manufacturer perform the initial break-in at the factory on an engine dyno or such, our driving habits will likely make very little difference. I would at least change the oil & filter between 500-1000 miles for peace of mind.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-19, 03:43 PM   #352
Boilermaker128
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Boilermaker128 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
US drive in miles, and personally I won't buy a car that I didn't expect to be able to drive 200K of em . . .
Which Countries use MPH or KPH - Who uses MPH - Rhinocarhire.com

Less then 10% of world uses mph. Not everything revolves around the US of A. 15,000 mile still has new car smell.

Quote:
If your interested in paying for it you can always get this SAE paper:
"Effect of Break-In and Operating Conditions on Piston Ring and Cylinder Bore Wear in Spark-Ignition Engines"
It is important to understand that you are breaking in more than just the engine. You are also breaking in the gears, seating and seasoning the clutch if it is new, heat cycling the brakes if they are new. Every bearing surface in the car, and even components like suspension bushings take a set and settle into their long term running position in the first few hours/days/weeks of use. Some changes also occur due to heat cycles. Tires firm up and stabilize as they go through their first few heat cycles, and become much more resistant to abuse if properly treated during those first few heat cycles.
Carrol Smith in his Tune to win book comments on how many racers kill their rear ends before they even race them by not breaking in the gears. The problem is the gear failure will not occur until many miles after the fact.
I suspect this is one of the elements in the transmission failures some folks are having. They cause micro fractures on the gears during the early break in period by beating on the car before it is well broken in, and then Poof the gears shatter while they are going to the grocery store with the 2 year old in the back seat.
For the gears you also need to give them brief periods of high load, followed by several minutes of low load operation so the gears can cool down, to a uniform temp. If you don't the tight points on the gear teeth will be over heated which destroys the strength properties designed into them and leaving you open to later random failure.
Agreed somewhat with STINIck and his helpful quote from the past from clevrname. There's a lot to break-in, especially on an STI. 3 differentials, clutch, tranny that many refer to as "bullet-proof", a term that doesn't fully describe it, as it's weak in other ways. Etc.

I'm just trying to help others out by letting them know "Driving it like I stole it" is NOT a good idea, especially on a fairly expensive vehicle for most. This is not a dirt bike, diesel, or w/e awenthol is referring to but didn't exactly say.

Quote:
08-06-19 11:56 AM
consentual_induction
You can literally abuse the break in and itll be fine
Bad advice needs to be called out. It can be read by thousands over the years. These car's are known for many issues, and dealerships are strict on warranty claims, as I would be too if in their shoe.

Cheers. Hope the best for other owners.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-09-19, 04:16 AM   #353
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker128 View Post
Which Countries use MPH or KPH - Who uses MPH - Rhinocarhire.com

Less then 10% of world uses mph. Not everything revolves around the US of A. 15,000 mile still has new car smell.
FWY, I was not knocking the metric systems. As an engineer I fully understand that it is a vastly more sensible system and that most of of the world uses it. My job would certainly be easier if we did F...n FPS units in E&M . . . all I was pointing out to me that 300+km isn't an unusually long life for a car. As I wrote If I didn't feel it was likely to make 200Kmi I wouldn't buy that car new, and I certainly would have bought my STI with 94Kmi already on it . . .

But since I am here:

Quote:
Agreed somewhat with STINIck and his helpful quote from the past from clevrname. There's a lot to break-in, especially on an STI. . . . I'm just trying to help others out by letting them know "Driving it like I stole it" is NOT a good idea, especially on a fairly expensive vehicle for most. This is not a dirt bike, diesel . . .
Cars are significant expenses for most of us, and I break in my cars to be safe. But, as an engineer I doubt it really makes any difference, and modern reciprocating engines will generally have the same issues and break in the same way: dirt bikes, diesels, Subarus whatever . . .

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-19, 09:51 AM   #354
Boilermaker128
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Boilermaker128 is an unknown quantity at this point

I always encourage engineers I’ve worked with to get out in the field more. Thanks for mentioning you play it safe, sums it up perfectly.

On some cheap dirt bike that you want the extra oomph and don’t care as much about lifespan, vs a subie engine which are fragile and more costly, and commonly replaced. Do STI hit 200kMi* often? No. Some are even on multiple engines. Subie owners tough to get a straight answer out of, have to question and sift through the BS.

Cheers.

Last edited by Boilermaker128; 08-09-19 at 02:00 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-09-19, 04:37 PM   #355
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
. . . vs a subie engine which are fragile and more costly, and commonly replaced. Do STI hit 200kMi* often? No. Some are even on multiple engines. Subie owners tough to get a straight answer out of, have to question and sift through the BS
True but their abuse int terms of operation is vastly more than your typical Civic, Yaris or Elantra, and the abuse they sustain in terms of mismatched parts and tune is worse! It is hard to compare. I'd agree that they are more sensitive, even on the more sensitive side of other turbo cars. They can still last, even with significantly more power than stock if cared for and not abused.

It's interesting how many of the stories here that started out with irate owners eventually turned out t have been non-stock.

I've mentioned that I once had a long conversation with a former Infinity sales person. He had all the same stories about Evo owners and denied warranty claims - even to owner whos plates had been photographed at tracks.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 08-09-19 at 05:15 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-14-19, 10:55 AM   #356
F1EA
Joined the Conversation

Car: 2019 STI CWP
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

F1EA is an unknown quantity at this point

I voted "break-in procedure"; but in reality, I just drive it normal for the first 1,500 kms, do an oil change, then kind of free to send it.

Normal = no bouncing off redline and no WOT (specifically in S#).
But for the break-in i do a bit more than normal engine braking and I try not to stay in constant rpm for a long period (which is not too difficult to do where I am and drive).

I've broken in all my new cars this way, going back to 1999, and have never had a single car (that I got new) with oil-burning or engine issues...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement