IW STi Forum banner

enoxard returns: stockAF 2017 STi

19K views 85 replies 21 participants last post by  JFAZ 
#1 · (Edited)
Service History

The TL;DR

gr33tz.

after selling my 07 in 2010, we are happily back in a 2017!

for those interested, the saga of the 07 can be found here: :: enoxard's 2007 OBP :: Dom 3 XTR :: 440/400 ::

since the 07, i spent the past few years hauling the wife and kids in a 4runner and tacoma. While fun, the toyotas are lacking forced induction, awd, a boxer rumble, and #raceCar. The shortcomings of these trucks were made abundantly clear to the wife on every one of the 80,000+ miles we put on the 4 runner.

when the time came to sell the 4runner, she mumbled - just get the porsche.. so before should could undo that statement, purchased this

which i flew out to Pittsburgh to purchase and then drove several thousand miles across country back to salt lake city.

after having driven the 911 for the summer and fretting about a $5,000 clutch job, $2000 in parts for brakes, utah winters, kids, bicycle hauling, etc.. i was reminded that mid-life crisis are real and i was in the midst of one.

doing what responsible parents do, i sold the 911 turbo for something more 'economical' and 'practical' [ with forced induction, awd, 6 speed, and #raceCar ] - a 2017 STi? its all relative. ;)

so with a few messages to clint at heuberger a 2017 WRX premium was promptly in the mail.. Which fortunately was damaged in transit and provided cause to refuse delivery and upgrade to the STi.

Heuberger was great about the exchange, took the WRX as if i never owned it and rolled everything into the STi.. Which was on a boat at the time and left me to public transport [ and wife taxi ] for 6 weeks or so. =/

but alas, after halloween the STi arrived at heuberger and i was promptly on a plane to pick her up.

it was love at first sight. i brought the AP with me to the dealership with the intention of flashing stage 1 at mile 0. However, on arrival i reconsidered that and figured id roll a few hundred miles on the stock tune for comparison. 1700 miles later, the AP is still uninstalled and for sale.

some pics from the drive back from CO.

unlike the 2007, the 2017 is very driveable and enjoyable in stock form.. disclaimer: i am 41 and dont vape e-juice.

in fact, i think the STi is a more enjoyable daily than the 911?!?!? dont take this to mean that the STi is better. You should really own both.

I dont have any real plans for mods. Save for a pair of mud flaps and weathertech mats that are on the way. Every day this car stays stock is a win for my next 911 turbo.

i am happy to be back and look forward to trolling this millennial generation that seems to have discovered the subie world during my hiatus. i eat snowflakes.

enjoy.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Nice! I agree that it's pretty good stock... I bought it with the intention of modding it, but after driving it I'm seriously considering leaving it totally stock and maybe buying a different car for #raceCar. It's a great car and preserving warranty and resale value makes a lot of sense for me right now. Besides, I've always wanted a Z06... ;)

#14 · (Edited)
Yup!!

Although to be clear LSD + TC will make it so the summer tire doesn't just sit there and spin, just like applying the brakes and power simultaneously when you're off roading and a tire comes off the ground. Theoretically, you could mount up two winter tires like I said and it would work.

You sure do know how to kill a joke. :(

#16 ·
Totally stoked to see your journal. I am <roughly> the same age as you, and also bought a 2017 Sti in DGM after owning a G35 for ten years. I have no intention of modding it either, because (1) warranty and (2) every dollar is spoken for camp, dance, clothes, and the enormous amount of food consumed by my kids. Not only that, the performance is plenty for the daily back and forth, and if it was louder no one in my family or neighborhood would be happy. And with five seats, we can take my car rather than the Mommy van. So cheers to us mid-life guys who still enjoy driving these manuals when most of our peers have moved on to SUVs and boring sedans.

#19 ·
Welcome back! I too am a former 07 owner, currently an 11 owner and Porsche Turbo fan since I was a kid. Been on here since before people knew what an AOS was and now apparently a must have mod ha. New STis are a major improvement but I think I'm all set with my E85 tuned 11. Just need a 15+ steering rack. Next car is lightly used R35 GTR..... midlife crisis mode too lol.

#27 ·
Very nice car enoxard my car is now 4200 miles. When I first bought the car I told my wife that I'm going to keep it stock, but guess what? I lie because after researching and found this forum I begin modding my car. Sometime I want to take a step back and ask myself wtf am I doing? Anyways, after taking thing apart like for AOS system I see minor oil in those hoses and it just only 4K mile plus and I'm not the type that abuse or wot on the car. Therefore, even keeping the car in stock form is great but just a minor mod like I said above is great help to keep the car more reliable.

new pressure washer..

Image Link

and curb rash.. =/

Image Link

#31 ·
Service History

i am happy to be back and look forward to trolling this millennial generation that seems to have discovered the subie world during my hiatus. i eat snowflakes.

enjoy.
I am currently 32 and have just re-calibrated my life's energy to try to be more like you over the next decade. Both in sarcasm and in garage preference.

Hat's off and may you forever be stockAF

#32 ·
thanks. i think i was 32, single, and without kids when i bought the first sti ..

my main mistake with that was modding well-beyond stage 2.. not long after picking up the subaru, the girlfriend became the wife and the family began to grow. the 400 whp meth injected super-turbo no longer reliable or comfortable enough for a family hauler. not to mention state inspections.

Had i forgone the turbo upgrade for a title-in-hand, i may still have that car today.

that said, no regrets.. the 30s are a great time, i hope you enjoy them as much as i did. :tup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.