Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Nova1313 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nova's 2015 WRX Build

Nova's 2015 WRX Build-20150118_081037-jpg

2015 WRX Premium GBP - Nav, Cargo mat, short shifter.

Current mods:
Winter Tires/Wheels - 235/45/17 Blizzak WS80 on 17x7 steelies.
Summer Tires/Wheels - 245/40/18 Pole Position S04 on Bronze Sparco Trofeo 5's.
Rally Armor Mud Flaps
Weathertech Mats w/ WRX Logo
JDM Center console
JDM coin drawer / Fuse cover
Fumoto Oil Valve
Interior LED Lights (Cheap kit from Amazon)
OptiCoat
Xpel Clear Bra (Front kit, Pillars, Door cup, side skirts)
Cargo net - F551SAG700 - Mounts up to WRX easily.
STI Trunk swap
Crawford Performance DIT AOS
Breeze liner hose clamps on intercooler piping.
2" EcoHitch Hidden Hitch
Corsa Cat Back
Perrin Shift Stop
King 1.5" front, 2.0" rear Lift Springs

Waiting for install:
TiC TGV Deletes - Need to purchase a Cobb AP.
TiC Shifter Bearing

Future Mods:
Cobb AP
Catted Jpipe/Downpipe - Unsure of model
EBCS
Attached Thumbnails
Nova's 2015 WRX Build-img_20180818_191442_1-jpg  

Last edited by Nova1313; 08-18-18 at 04:14 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-14, 03:02 PM   #2
Nova1313
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Nova's 2015 WRX Build

Reserved

Trunk Swap
Did my trunk swap yesterday and it was hard to find any information on how to do it on the 2015 that included torsion bar information. Here was the general process.

On right side of trunk remove the pop rivets that hold the carpet at the top. Behind the carpet are two plugs that need to be undone. You'll need to then cut the tape holding the wiring to the trunk arm. When removed 4 bolts are all that secure the trunk to the swinging arms. Remove those and remove the trunk lid. Swap lips and re-attach wiring.

Torsion bars. This was the worst part. Before you do this consider if the trunks both pop at an acceptable rate for you. I felt that on the STI with the non-winged trunk, it popped up way too fast. To swap these you need to remove the old torsion bars. The bars cross each other on the right hand side of the trunk. If you look at where they attach to actually push the trunk upwards, this is what you need to remove first to get the bar out (green line in photo). Older tutorials mention pushing the bar backwards at the center, but with the Harman Kardon system the amplifier will be in the way.

Removal: We took a long thick screw driver and placed it in the bend of the rod (circled in red) where it would connect to the latch like bar (green line in photo) that pushes the trunk upward. We used this screwdriver to give enough bench to undo the latch and pop the bar out. The process was this: Lower trunk about half way, insert screwdriver with end pushing up against a solid part of the back dashboard metal. Slowly raise the trunk up. This puts pressure on the screwdriver and will move the torsion bar out of the way of the swinging latch. Undo the latch. With the trunk now not supported on that side, lowering and raising the trunk won't release the load on the screwdriver. Slowly raise the screwdriver and then remove it. The bar is going to pop out at this point. Make sure your face is protected. Repeat for the other side.

Re-install: Put the bar you removed last, in first. This is easier than removal but a similar process. Install the bar and get it lined up on the body hangers. Insert screwdriver (circled in red) and pull down on the bar end until the trunk arm can be fitted back on. With it on, unload the pressure on the screwdriver by lowering the trunk half way.

The WRX bars were harder to put in the STI. They had a distinctly different bend.

Lid swap: 20 minutes once we figured out what we were doing
Bar swap: 60 minutes and one slightly injured helper

Nova's 2015 WRX Build-20150117_135610-jpg

Crawford AOS install - This is quite possibly one of the most annoying installs I've done. Part of it due to Crawford's crappy instructions part of it because of the locations of everything that needs removing.

Crawford ships one set of instructions, it's different than the PDF on their website though. Additionally a third set can be found (in a different order) in the video they put on their website. Ideally you really need to also remove the skid plate to have access to the lower hose clamp that has to be installed.

The location of 3-4 of the hose clamps is less than ideal. It's a lot of struggling and scraped hands (can't fit in with gloves) to get everything removed and re-installed. It was a 3-4 hour install and I've done a significant amount of work on cars before and had the proper tools. Most of the problem is with installing their included host clamps. Some positions are just really hard to get a screw driver or socket into. To hold their clamp and tighten at the same time are extremely difficult in 2-3 of the places they are needed.

Outside of the host clamps, the kit is well made. The AOS itself looks great and functions well.

Hose clamp replacement - The host clamps on the turbo system included by Subaru are crap. I constantly had leaks while stock and tightening wasn't fixing it. When I have a leak gas mileage goes down and the car becomes extremely jerky. On advice of a NASIOC post, I've replaced them with Breeze liner clamps and have not had a problem. The install is pretty simple. One of the clamps requires removing the intercooler to reach. One requires removing the skid plate.

Torque Lift 2" Eco Hitch Hidden hitch - Install took 6 hours with only one person. Positioning things would have been slightly easier with 2 people. Instructions lack a bit. It would be nice if they listed bolt/nut sizes and explained a bit better how to remove the rear bumper. Stuggled with the bumper for 45 minutes before I could remove it. I didn't want to damage the paint by pulling on the bumper too hard. Turns out a firm tug removed it from most of the clips. Fitment isn't great. It requires a bit more trimming than they list if you ever want your rear bumper to sit right again. Had they made the two angled side pieces slightly smaller it would be fine. The trimming isn't visible from the back when done.

Corsa Exhaust - Install took 3 hours, not including prep of garage and cleanup. Bolt connecting stock mid-pipe to downpipe was rusted and stuck. Oil/PB Blaster and scrubbing with brush didn't free it. Eventually the bolt broke on the rusted thread. With the bolt off, the install and alignment took 2 hours. The pipes were a pain to line up and get fit to each other. The mufflers took a bit of fiddling with the stock rubber grommets so that they hung nicely and avoided tapping on the bolts from the Torque Lift.

Last edited by Nova1313; 12-16-15 at 07:57 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-24-14, 06:53 PM   #3
malik05sti
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 12' STI Limited
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

malik05sti is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice car man
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-14, 07:43 PM   #4
Smallpuncake
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Smallpuncake is an unknown quantity at this point

hello nova. can u post a picture with the mud flap. i have a gbp wrx as well. i want to see how it looks with those flap before i purchase them! thank you! and GBP all the way!!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-02-15, 12:20 PM   #5
Nova1313
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Smallpuncake - https://imgur.com/a/elISs

Let me know if you want a different angle. Car is not presently clean. Snow storm is coming tomorrow. I swear the mudflaps are really black with grey logos.

Pretty simple install, no need to remove wheels. Front flaps are adjusted all the way out which looks slightly further than the rear flaps will go.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-10-15, 01:12 PM   #6
Nova1313
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

This is a photo of the mount points for the older Impreza cargo nets (F551SAG700) in the 2015 WRX and WRX STI. Install process is to remove the existing clip in these positions, remove the white plastic connector that it fits into, and replace with the included clips.

For the two against the back of the trunk, you'll need to slightly pull back the carpet and remove the old clips.

Total install time is about 20 minutes. The 4 hooks and mount hardware needed come with the nets. Using the new hooks you could even attach a net across the back of the trunk.

The nets will conveniently hold a growler of beer so that it won't tip.

Nova's 2015 WRX Build-20150110_152355-jpg
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-10-15, 04:33 PM   #7
guzie
Advanced Mastery Level III

Fav Mod: Nameless muffler delete
My Subaru Parts for sale

guzie is a jewel in the roughguzie is a jewel in the roughguzie is a jewel in the roughguzie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova1313 View Post
This is a photo of the mount points for the older Impreza cargo nets (F551SAG700) in the 2015 WRX and WRX STI. Install process is to remove the existing clip in these positions, remove the white plastic connector that it fits into, and replace with the included clips.

For the two against the back of the trunk, you'll need to slightly pull back the carpet and remove the old clips.

Total install time is about 20 minutes. The 4 hooks and mount hardware needed come with the nets. Using the new hooks you could even attach a net across the back of the trunk.

The nets will conveniently hold a growler of beer so that it won't tip.

Attachment 35126
Cool. Been waiting for Subaru to release ones for our cars. It appears these will suffice.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-18-15, 05:55 AM   #8
Nova1313
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Updated with trunk swap information. Couldn't find good information on MY15 torsion bar removal!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-21-15, 01:21 PM   #9
Smallpuncake
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Smallpuncake is an unknown quantity at this point

appreciate the trunk swap article man. will be useful when i finally find someone to swap with me. hard to find someone with gbp sti
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-22-15, 05:43 AM   #10
Nova1313
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah I struggled to find anyone with that color. I ended up meeting someone that was 7 hours away. We met in the middle (~3.5 hours each). It made for a long day, but it was worth it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement