2016 STI: Now with more Turbo! - Page 19 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2016 STI: Now with more Turbo!
2016 STI: Now with more Turbo!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > 2016 STI: Now with more Turbo!

Old 02-03-17, 12:24 PM   #181
thedru13
Master Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 2015 CWP STi Limited
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

thedru13 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2016 STI: Now with more Turbo!

Love the build. How do you like the 20g? How is the spool compared to stock? Also how is the pull from a roll, meaning on the highway? Any worried about pushing that much on the stock block? Last question might have missed it but any clutch slippage if you are on the stock clutch?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-17, 01:43 PM   #182
WhatWarranty?
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Flex Fuel+20g
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

WhatWarranty? will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedru13 View Post
Love the build. How do you like the 20g? How is the spool compared to stock? Also how is the pull from a roll, meaning on the highway? Any worried about pushing that much on the stock block? Last question might have missed it but any clutch slippage if you are on the stock clutch?
I'm loving it. Very similar to stock spool but it doesn't die at 5xxx rpm. It keeps pulling towRds redline and feels great.

Pulls on highway: I don get on the highway much since I've got a Tacoma for a dd but driving on similar roads it pulls hard enough for me. From what I have read, I'd say the dom 1.5 is probably better for that.

Absolutely: I'm worried about the stock block but i went with the 20g over the 1.5 to hopefully keep it safe(r) and if it blows (when it blows??) I'll rebuild it. I've always wanted a STI so I plan on keeping this baby until I can't afford to fix it or it rusts through.

No slippage at all so far. I don't drive too crazy, honestly. I've never launched her so maybe that's helped me. I have never had to upgrade a clutch and don't look forward to it since there are so many choices and a lot of it will come down to personal preference and feel I can't see in advance.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-03-17, 02:17 PM   #183
thedru13

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Awesome thanks for the response. I DD mine and not a huge fan of the DOM so always curious to hear about the 20g. I did a 20g in my Evo IX but I modified it with a billet wheel and modified the housing. Sounds like an airplane. LOL. Love the spool and the quickness of the spool. but its twin scroll so ....

My STi now which i don't beat on either. I don't launch it but when I fill up on E85 if I hit the pedal hard in 3rd gear i can feel the clutch start to slip. :-( .. I am at 32k miles so might be feeling the over 400 TQ.. Anycase love your build and the updates.. Nicely done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWarranty? View Post
I'm loving it. Very similar to stock spool but it doesn't die at 5xxx rpm. It keeps pulling towRds redline and feels great.

Pulls on highway: I don get on the highway much since I've got a Tacoma for a dd but driving on similar roads it pulls hard enough for me. From what I have read, I'd say the dom 1.5 is probably better for that.

Absolutely: I'm worried about the stock block but i went with the 20g over the 1.5 to hopefully keep it safe(r) and if it blows (when it blows??) I'll rebuild it. I've always wanted a STI so I plan on keeping this baby until I can't afford to fix it or it rusts through.

No slippage at all so far. I don't drive too crazy, honestly. I've never launched her so maybe that's helped me. I have never had to upgrade a clutch and don't look forward to it since there are so many choices and a lot of it will come down to personal preference and feel I can't see in advance.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-17, 02:29 PM   #184
WhatWarranty?
Gold Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedru13 View Post
Awesome thanks for the response. I DD mine and not a huge fan of the DOM so always curious to hear about the 20g. I did a 20g in my Evo IX but I modified it with a billet wheel and modified the housing. Sounds like an airplane. LOL. Love the spool and the quickness of the spool. but its twin scroll so ....

My STi now which i don't beat on either. I don't launch it but when I fill up on E85 if I hit the pedal hard in 3rd gear i can feel the clutch start to slip. :-( .. I am at 32k miles so might be feeling the over 400 TQ.. Anycase love your build and the updates.. Nicely done!
Dru... Definitely did not mean it to sound like that came out. Hope you didn't think I meant you beat on your ride. I bet it is your miles with that torque. I'm only sitting at 8800 right now and have been stage 3+ for about 5k. I expect I'll see some slippage soon with similar torque (not dyno'd but was at 380 or so in e68 stock turbo).
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-03-17, 02:33 PM   #185
thedru13

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Dru... Definitely did not mean it to sound like that came out. Hope you didn't think I meant you beat on your ride. I bet it is your miles with that torque. I'm only sitting at 8800 right now and have been stage 3+ for about 5k. I expect I'll see some slippage soon with similar torque (not dyno'd but was at 380 or so in e68 stock turbo).
Didn't take it that way at all.. LOL.. Last dyno session I did i was
E77
341 hp
416 tq
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-07-17, 11:26 AM   #186
Nbrac27
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: Feal 441
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Nbrac27 will become famous soon enough

You are playing with fire my friend with that turbo and stock block, I love it!

In all seriousness you've got yourself a beautiful STi my man! I hope your luck is good and that block holds up for quite a while and you don't have to go through what a whole bunch of us on here have with needing to drop thousands of dollars on building one.

And side note, those ZE40S <3
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-07-17, 06:06 PM   #187
WhatWarranty?
Gold Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbrac27 View Post

In all seriousness you've got yourself a beautiful STi my man! I hope your luck is good and that block holds up for quite a while and you don't have to go through what a whole bunch of us on here have with needing to drop thousands of dollars on building one.

Appreciate it, Nbrac. I love those wheels a lot.

I hear you about playing with fire. Hopefully it lasts me a good amount of time, but I'm not naive enough to expect it. I'll be thrilled if I can get a few years out of it
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-08-17, 08:51 AM   #188
tylerandreas
Developing Advanced Mastery

Fav Mod: Wingless
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

tylerandreas is a jewel in the roughtylerandreas is a jewel in the roughtylerandreas is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbrac27 View Post

In all seriousness you've got yourself a beautiful STi my man! I hope your luck is good and that block holds up for quite a while and you don't have to go through what a whole bunch of us on here have with needing to drop thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars on building one.

Quote:
Appreciate it, Nbrac. I love those wheels a lot.

I hear you about playing with fire. Hopefully it lasts me a good amount of time, but I'm not naive enough to expect it. I'll be thrilled if I can get a few years out of it
ZE40's are the best wheel. I love them. Also, fixed above. baha fml. Yea, I heart this car. wingless>wing, though. IMO.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-08-17, 09:36 AM   #189
tylerlieberman
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: Seat Time
My Subaru Parts for sale

tylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nice

I want to keep mine relatively simple and stock, engine wise for as long as possible.

However, this little devil keeps popping up on my right shoulder and continues to instigate me into spending lots of money lol
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-22-17, 02:00 PM   #190
WhatWarranty?
Gold Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I have put about 1K miles on the car since I upgraded the turbo on it. So far so good. No hiccups or scares or anything. Car just feels better all around and is a blast to drive. Hopefully I can get many more of these 1k miles on it.

I'm hoping the weather stays nice out for a while so I can wash it without my hands feeling like ice cubes.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement