Motor Oil - All Chapters, Inclusive -Hat Tip to Ferrarichat.com - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Motor Oil - All Chapters, Inclusive -Hat Tip to Ferrarichat.com
Motor Oil - All Chapters, Inclusive -Hat Tip to Ferrarichat.com
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Motor Oil - All Chapters, Inclusive -Hat Tip to Ferrarichat.com

Old 02-19-07, 01:59 PM   #11
thrlskr
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Car: 05 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Seat Time
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

thrlskr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Motor OIL Final Exam

Motor Oil Final Examination
Answer questions without looking back. This is a closed book exam. Base your answers on the information provided in these past chapters.

1- While starting up your car at 75 F, mid-winter in Florida, which of these synthetic oils provides the least startup resistance, minimal battery and starter motor load?
A- 0W-20
B- 0W-30
C- 0W-40
D- 0W-50
E- They are all exactly the same

2- While vacationing in Orlando, it is 104 F mid-summer in Florida. The rental car company put a straight mineral based 30 weight oil in their car because they wanted the operating temperature viscosity to be at 10 cS. What will be the approximate viscosity of the oil when you start up your engine now? (Closest answer)
A- 10 cS
B- 20 cS
C- 30 cS
D- 100 cS
E- 400 cS

3- While vacationing in Florida you are able to race your car at the Sebring track. At an oil temperature of 302 F what is the approximate difference in viscosity between a 20 and 40 weight oil. (Pick the closest number)
A- 1
B- 10
C- 20
D- 40
E- 400

4- Assume there are no losses in the system and your oil pump is truly volume based. Also assume there is no cut off pressure valve and you are using a 40 weight motor oil. If at 1,000 RPM your pressure is 30 and your pump output is 1 (one), what will the pressure and output be at redline, 8,000 RPM?
A- 240 PSI, flow = 8
B- 180 PSI, flow = 8
C- 240 PSI, flow = 4
D- 180 PSI, flow = 4
E- 120 PSI, flow = 8

5- Water can be used as a lubricant.
A- True
B- False

6- If you increase the pressure in a bearing, all other things being constant, the force of separation between the parts increases.
A- True
B- False

7- The best weight oil for racing any Ferrari or Lamborghini is a 40 weight multigrade synthetic oil like Mobil One 0W-40.
A- True
B- False

8- For my Maranello 575 the 0W-20 weight Mobil 1 oil is actually too thick for my driving conditions.
A- True
B- False

9- The major problem with engine oil is that it thins with increasing temperature.
A- True
B- False

10- Your 1993 sports car manual states to use an API / SAE SH rated 10W-40 mineral based motor oil. Your engine has only 1,550 miles on the odometer. On your next oil change it would be better to use a SM rated 0W-40 synthetic oil.
A- True
B- False

11- According to SAE J300 a 30 weight oil has a viscosity of between 9.3 and 12.4 centiStokes at operating temperature (212 F).
A- True
B- False

12- In my list of recommended oils what did I list as the best mineral based motor oil in the 50 weight class?
A- Pennzoil multigrade 20W-50
B- Castrol GTX 15W-50
C- Red Line 10W-50
D- Valvoline Durablend 0W-50
E- No oil was recommended

13- You are running 5W-40 Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic motor oil in your Mercedes Benz. You are in a K-Mart shopping center and checked your oil and it is 1 1/2 quarts low. You will need to add one can of oil. Which of the following is the best choice.
A- Mobil 1 - 0W-40
B- Pennzoil Synthetic 5W-40
C- Red Line Synthetic 5W-40
D- Castrol Syntec 0W-30
E- Shell mineral based 10W-40

14- Motor oils that are labeled “for racing only” should not be used for everyday driving because:
A- They do not have detergents
B- They may have harmful levels of some additives
C- They are generally unrated, there is no SJ, SL or SM approval
D- You would have to take your engine apart and clean it periodically
E- All of the above

15- ASTM stands for:
A- Automotive Standards and Test Methods
B- Automotive Society for Tooling and Machining
C- American Society for Testing and Materials
D- American Standards Trade and Manufacturing
E- Society for American Standard Testing Methods

16- If your engine is running too hot at higher RPM one thing you can try to bring the temperature down is to use a thinner oil.
A- True
B- False

17- Oil with a startup thickness of 100 (at 75 F) that becomes the appropriate thickness of 10 when fully warmed up (212 F) is called a 10W-30 weight motor oil.
A- True
B- False

18- A main advantage that the synthetic has over the mineral based oil of the same grade is the ability to lubricate better at startup.
A- True
B- False

19- In ASTM D 4485 3.1.4: Engine oil is defined as - - “a liquid that reduces friction and wear between moving parts within an engine, and also serves as a coolant.”
A- True
B- False

20- I am (single best answer):
A- Surgeon
B- Biochemist
C- ‘Halfass mechanic
D- Absurdly interested in motor oils
E- All of the above

Answers below:

Answers to the Oil Final Exam
I feel these were all very difficult questions. You would be doing well to get 10 correct.

1- While starting up your car at 75 F, mid-winter in Florida, which of these synthetic oils provides the least startup resistance, minimal battery and starter motor load?
A- 0W-20
B- 0W-30
C- 0W-40
D- 0W-50
E- They are all exactly the same
The correct answer is A- 0W-20.

2- While vacationing in Orlando, it is 104 F mid-summer in Florida. The rental car company put a straight mineral based 30 weight oil in their car because they wanted the operating temperature viscosity to be at 10 cS. What will be the approximate viscosity of the oil when you start up your engine now?
A- 10 cS
B- 20 cS
C- 30 cS
D- 100 cS
E- 400 cS
The correct answer is D- 100 cS

3- While vacationing in Florida you are able to race your car at the Sebring track. At an oil temperature of 302 F what is the approximate difference in viscosity between a 20 and 40 weight oil. Pick the closest number.
A- 1
B- 10
C- 20
D- 40
E- 400
The correct answer is A- 1

4- Assume there are no losses in the system and your oil pump is truly volume based. Also assume there is no cut off pressure valve and you are using a 40 weight motor oil. If at 1,000 RPM your pressure is 30 and your pump output is 1 (one), what will the pressure and output be at redline, 8,000 RPM?
A- 240 PSI, flow = 8
B- 180 PSI, flow = 8
C- 240 PSI, flow = 4
D- 180 PSI, flow = 4
E- 120 PSI, flow = 8
The correct answer is A- 240 PSI, flow = 8

5- Water can be used as a lubricant.
A- True
B- False
The correct answer is A- True

6- If you increase the pressure in a bearing, all other things being constant, the force of separation between the parts increases.
A- True
B- False
The correct answer is B- False

7- The best weight oil for racing any Ferrari or Lamborghini is a 40 weight multigrade synthetic oil like Mobil One 0W-40.
A- True
B- False
The correct answer is B- False. It can best be determined by driving the car with one type of oil and see what happens.

8- For my Maranello 575 the 0W-20 weight Mobil 1 oil is actually too thick for my driving conditions.
A- True
B- False

9- The major problem with engine oil is that it thins with increasing temperature.
A- True
B- False
The correct answer is B- False. The problem is thickening when the engine is turned off. With long term use the problem is also thickening.

10- Your 1993 sports car manual states to use an API / SAE SH rated 10W-40 mineral based motor oil. Your engine has only 4,550 miles on the odometer. On your next oil change it would be better to use a SM rated 0W-40 synthetic oil.
A- True
B- False

11- According to SAE J300 a 0W-30 and a straight 30 weight oil must have a viscosity of between 9.3 and 12.4 centiStokes at operating temperature (212 F).
A- True
B- False

12- In my list of recommended oils what did I list as the best mineral based motor oil in the 50 weight class?
A- Pennzoil multigrade 20W-50
B- Castrol GTX 20W-50
C- Red Line 15W-50
D- Valvoline Durablend 20W-50
E- No oil was recommended
The correct answer is E- No oil was recommended. They all are too thick at startup for daily use.

13- You are running 5W-40 Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic motor oil in your Mercedes Benz. You are in a K-Mart shopping center and checked your oil and it is 1 1/2 quarts low. You will need to add one can of oil now. Which of the following is the best choice.
A- Mobil 1 - 0W-40
B- Pennzoil Synthetic 5W-40
C- Red Line Synthetic 5W-40
D- Castrol Syntec 0W-30
E- Shell mineral based 10W-40
The correct answer is E- Shell mineral based 10W-40. You can mix any SM rated oil in there but this is my first choice based on my research.

14- Motor oils that are labeled “for racing only” should not be used for everyday driving because:
A- They do not have detergents
B- They may have harmful levels of some additives
C- They are generally unrated, there is no SJ, SL or SM approval
D- You would have to take your engine apart and clean it periodically
E- All of the above
The correct answer is E- All of the above

15- ASTM stands for:
A- Automotive Standards and Test Methods
B- Automotive Society for Tooling and Machining
C- American Society for Testing and Materials
D- American Standards Trade and Manufacturing
E- Society for American Standard Testing Methods
The correct answer is C- American Society for Testing and Materials

16- If your engine is running too hot at higher RPM one thing you can try to bring the temperature down is to use a thinner oil.
A- True
B- False

17- Oil with a startup thickness of 100 (at 75 F) that becomes the appropriate thickness of 10 when fully warmed up (212 F) is called a 10W-30 weight motor oil.
A- True
B- False

18- A main advantage that the synthetic has over the mineral based oil of the same grade is the ability to lubricate better at startup.
A- True
B- False

19- In ASTM D 4485 3.1.4: Engine oil is defined as - - “a liquid that reduces friction and wear between moving parts within an engine, and also serves as a coolant.”
A- True
B- False

20- I am (single best answer):
A- Surgeon
B- Biochemist
C- ‘Halfass mechanic
D- Absurdly interested in motor oils
E- All of the above
The correct answer is E- All of the above

aehaas
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-07, 02:00 PM   #12
CGMDan
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: The Driver
My Subaru Parts for sale

CGMDan is an unknown quantity at this point

Whil I've only read the first post/chapter, thanks for putting this up. I'd also love to see how would be responded to at bobistheoilguy.com.

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-19-07, 02:07 PM   #13
La Mer
IWSTI Club Level 11ty

My Subaru Parts for sale

La Mer is on a distinguished road

Thank you for this info!

Last edited by La Mer; 02-20-07 at 12:21 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-07, 03:24 PM   #14
Stee
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Car: 2010 Evo X SE
Fav Mod: 9lb exhaust
My Subaru Parts for sale

Stee is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally, a well-written documentation without the usual conjecture found on these automotive forums.

Thanks for posting!

2004 STi: sold... Fun car!
2006 STI: sold... Best ET: 12.39 @ 111.2mph on pump 93.

HamfistRacing.com
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-19-07, 04:01 PM   #15
Flycaster
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

Flycaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
...Sure, your piston diameter will shrink on cooling but so will the diameter of your bore. The net result is about the same clearance hot and cold.
You know, for as informed as this guy thinks he is (and, for the most part, he is), this is incredibly dumb. Wow.

Quote:
...The system takes 12 quarts with a “normal” oil change but took 15 quarts for this change. It all took about an hour. I then started the engine to check for leaks. The multitude of mechanical engine noises that followed nearly broke my eardrums for about 10 long seconds. Then it was suddenly very quiet. You could hear a pin drop. There was certainly the most possible amount of surface oil on all the internal parts as the engine was only off for an hour. But it was not until the oil circuit primed, filled then sent flow into all the parts that any lubrication was occurring.
I'm speechless.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-19-07, 05:57 PM   #16
ValvetrainEngineer
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: Type RA #82
My Subaru Parts for sale

ValvetrainEngineer is on a distinguished road

I agree, this is a gem of information. It was lost for a while when Ferrarichat crashed, but the guys over there (and the author) certainly have it saved locally and it was put back up recently.

When looking for good oil DATA in forums I couldn't count how many times I've read 'well yeah, so and so worked great for me!' Ok over the 25+ pages there's a few points that I'm not sure I agree with or may be slight exaggerations, but overall I'd certainly trust Ali's opinion over mine!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-20-07, 12:19 PM   #17
thrlskr
Developing Advanced Mastery

Car: 05 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Seat Time
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

thrlskr is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad everyone enjoyed it.

Last edited by thrlskr; 02-20-07 at 09:28 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-20-07, 12:41 PM   #18
nandanrp
Indiatr0n in yo IWDPL
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Fav Mod: Brum Brum
My Subaru Parts for sale

nandanrp is an unknown quantity at this point

Added to the threads of interest
OG PWT Member #1 | JDMPW Member #2

2005 OBP purchased 3/16/2005 (Journal) | Mod list
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-09-08, 07:50 PM   #19
howboutthemapplz
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

howboutthemapplz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Motor Oil - All Chapters, Inclusive -Hat Tip to Ferrarichat.com

thread from the dead... i know..
all this oil talk lately, im trying to understand this, what input do you guys have?
i know the general consensus throughout subaru if
1. synthetic oil. we know
2. best oil type for DD?
3.best oil type for track car?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-09-08, 09:40 PM   #20
berdugo
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Silver Euro 07 STi
Fav Mod: More whp & MoTec M800
My Subaru Parts for sale

berdugo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Motor Oil - All Chapters, Inclusive -Hat Tip to Ferrarichat.com

I can't give a very nice answer since we have different climte here.

FWIW, my DD car a tiny Kia Picanto, I put Mobil 1 5W 50 oil last Sept 2006, haven't changed the oil so far until now. Until now, engine runs good and smooth, I beat it all the time when I drive it since it only have 65hp at the crank, just to drive it fast. And when I'm in a hurry, in city driving, I rev it upto 6000rpm a lot of times. I ate so many faster cars with higher hp with my kia car. I beat several civics, accords, nissans, all their engine is bigger than mine. So I guess that oil really works, and until now the oil level is fine, never add any oil since 2006.

I also put the same oil "Mobil 1 5W 50" in my first change oil of my STi last year Feb. I only drove my STi for about 2000miles before i installed the Crawford turbo kit. Fortunately for me, I had no oil problems with that mobil 1 for a year. I baby my car most of the time to save some fuel, unlike my kia car but when i drive in highway and the road is wide open, i pushed it to the limits on the 6th gear of course. Everyone knows that the stock STi loses torque and power past 5000rpm so no need to do 7000rpm on 5th gear or lower.

When I put my Crawford turbo, i also put Amsoil 60.
I was surprised how hot the engine bay runs with the 35R kit. I don't know if the amsoil will hurt my motor or not, but i'll bet my money that it will not hurt my motor.

I'll have my pistons and rods installed in a couple of weeks, I'll have the chance to look at my bearing and will take a picture of it just to see if any damage done with using the Amsoil 60. Again I'll bet that it protected my engine.

AMSOIL - SAE 60 Synthetic Racing Oil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement