IW STi Forum banner

Forged connecting rods will not fit stock pistons?

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  mheyman 
#1 ·
Hello guys. Sorry im a newb. This is my 1st STI engine rebuild and I still have a lot to learn. Anyway I bought a 2011 STI with spun rod bearing. I bought a set of forged connecting rods to replace the stock rods which 1 of the rod was bad due to the bearing spun in it. however the forged rods that i bought would not fit the stock piston. On the stock rod it has a taper at the end of the rod to be able to slide in the piston pin hole. However on the forged rods there are no taper so I cant fit it into the stock pistons. Are the forged rods have to fit with aftermarket forged pistons?

#2 ·
Just curious

why would you buy forged rods, but not forged pistons? the pistons are the weak spot in this engine, not the rods.

The STi stock forged rods are better than most cheap H-beam rods out there, unless you spring for the nicer ones like Manley H-tuffs. You could have bought 1 stock rod off someone to replace the bad one cheaper than a set of aftermarket forged.

which rods did you buy?

#5 ·
Well this is my first EJ25 build and this car will be resell after i finished it so I want to keep the cost as low as i could. I bought the maxspeedrods . I ended up getting a new one from subaru dealer for $70 and keep the forged rods for the next build with forged piston. It all a learning experience.

#3 ·
they should be able to fit, I see some engines like that on the regular...dunno why like stated above w/no upgraded pistons...but you can shave them if they are indeed to wide, I would recommend measure before doing so tho...or again while youre in there just do the pistons too

#10 ·
Agreed. A person without measuring tools and buying "maxspeedrods" (sic) which are Maxspeedingrods on Amazon, should deserve what they get. Cheap shit Chinese stuff and likelier heavier than the stock rods which are fine rods to 400 HP.

I would assume that they are not the right ones! Send them back!

#11 ·
I'm not going to provide an answer, but pictures on the web commonly not accurate or correct. Many times there is even a disclaimer saying so.

I too would assume they are not the correct ones - cause . . . . . . they done't fit!

I'm not trying to pile on criticism either - just providing more reassurance to the OP that they are surely wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.