Need Eyes on Logs(Shop Said boost leak) - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Need Eyes on Logs(Shop Said boost leak)
Need Eyes on Logs(Shop Said boost leak)
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Need Eyes on Logs(Shop Said boost leak)

Old 10-02-19, 07:19 AM   #1
mjbusmc1991
Active Participant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Anything involving my owh hands.
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

mjbusmc1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need Eyes on Logs(Shop Said boost leak)

So I wont name the shop but heres the back story.

About a month ago my 11' STi spun a rod bearing. Used it as an excuse to go forged internals. Sent it to the best/most reputable subaru engine building/tuning shop in my area.
They throw in their stage 2 block, go to tune it and report the AF correction/learning is pegged.
"We've determined this is outside of our area of work and would like to close the engine build bill and open a new one to diagnose...."
"How much you think because diagnosing a leak is well within my wheelhouse?"
"Its your TGV shaft seals, tgv's need replaced. 1000$ please."
"I'll just tow it back to my place and get to working on the supporting mods for the new engine(including tgv deletes)."

So I get it back yesterday, first things, the turbo to Y-pipe coupler was clearly(even with the intercooler on) not seated on the turbo(no shit there's a boost leak). I take the IC off and sure enough theres plenty of engine break in blow by on the hoses and engine bock under the coupler. So I reseat that, check the TGV shaft seals for shits and gigs(just took a 10mil long neck and pressed the seals back in).

And here are some logs ive done since. I don't see anything indicating a large leak anywhere, I'm probably going to clean the maf and check the rear 02 before the week is out. Also probably replacing that Y pipe coupler because it's a bit chewed up.

Long story short...looking for some separate eyes on these logs. I trusted this shop but the car looks like it was reassembled by a new hire. Coupler issue, oil return line on my AOS ran over the IC bracket(effectively crushing it when the IC was put on).

Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-19, 07:48 AM   #2
Leemanfor
Master Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Need Eyes on Logs(Shop Said boost leak)

The logs are a little short, but I dont see anything out of the ordinary in terms of leaks.

Usually a boost leak will cause high AF Learning pulling fuel, like -15% at idle and on cruise.

Another way is to add Target boost to your log, and go do a 3rd gear pull from 3500 to Redline.

if your target boost isn't close to your actual boost, you likely have a leak.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-02-19, 07:59 AM   #3
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Make one decent log and repost.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-19, 10:47 AM   #4
mjbusmc1991
Active Participant

Fav Mod: Anything involving my owh hands.
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

mjbusmc1991 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
Make one decent log and repost.
Would you expand. I'm logging as my tuner would usually request. Same parameters and length. I'm not doing pulls yet because I'm trying to see if it acts up again. I'll do some longer runs either tonight or tomorrow. Maybe try a pull if the learning stays within range.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-02-19, 11:40 AM   #5
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

As someone not vested, I don't want to open 10 logs. Any data that needs to be seen can be done in one log in this case. I generally ask for steady load/throttle in 500 RPM increments until closed loop cannot be maintained (generally 1,500 - 4,000 RPM). When done in a single log, holding the steady load/throttle for 15 seconds is helpful.

For those TGV seals, when you pop them out again, use RTV to help hold them next time.

Last edited by yamahaSHO; 10-02-19 at 11:43 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement