IW STi Forum banner

Break-In Period and burning up oil

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  crick0234 
#1 ·
Just recently got an STi 2019, bone stock, still in the break-in period, decided to try and "push" it just for a slight bit, I have around 709 miles, just curious as to what could have caused the oil to burn up? Went from full when the mileage was around 540, about half at 650, and now I am left with about a quarter left. Any ideas as to whats burning/eating up my oil?

#2 · (Edited)
Are you sure you are reading the oil level correctly? That's a really high consumption rate in the course of about 100 miles. If the car is actually low on oil at this low miles, i would highly recommend bringing it into the dealer so this can all be recorded and documented.

Definitely make sure you top off and correct the oil level.

#5 ·
what could have caused the oil to burn up? Went from full when the mileage was around 540, about half at 650, and now I am left with about a quarter left. Any ideas as to whats burning/eating up my oil?
I don't think you mean what you wrote. If it really only has 1/4 of it's oil left, your engine may well have a short life!

Variation on your dipstick though is common in our cars. The level indicated will depend on level of the oil, levelness of the car, temperature of the oil. How long it has been since shut down, and even how you pull out the dip stick!!! Get used to doing it exactly the same way and you'll likely get more consistent readings.

That said, burning some oil is not unheard of. It's something to watch and be aware of, and certainly to notify a dealer with a new car - be sure it is in writing in their records.

#6 ·
you'd see evidence of that much oil being consumed billowing out of your exhaust. look for a leak.

the argument about a hard vs a soft break-in has been going on forever. "pushing it a slight bit" isn't going to do anything but break it in better than not pushing it at all.

#7 ·
Sorry for thr late update!

Update on my situation: The oil put in during the break in period is slightly different (dealership's word). I just got my oil change, around 854.4 miles recorded. And as of right now, everything is ok with it, and dealership said everything in the vehicle was fine and that there was no smoke billowing out the exhaust.

I guess it was just the oil put in and that little bit of "slightly agressive" break in, which was around 4000-4800 rpm per 3rd and 4th gear.

I will be keeping an eye on it and report back to see if it still is burning oil. So far so good!

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

#8 ·
my first 1K miles i burnt thru a quart of oil during breakin. changed, and everythings fine. it still burnt oil... like 1/2 quart to 3/4 quart every 5K miles, depending on how i drive. so check your oil often anyways. I'm at 140K miles now, still burning oil, but car runs swell otherwise. oil analysis for it came in clean and good according to the blackstone fellas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.