-31.80 Feedback Knock, 0 DAM, -11 FKL - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
-31.80 Feedback Knock, 0 DAM, -11 FKL
-31.80 Feedback Knock, 0 DAM, -11 FKL
Go Back   STI Forums > > > -31.80 Feedback Knock, 0 DAM, -11 FKL

Old 04-14-19, 04:00 AM   #1
ReiDetailing
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Greddy SE Exhaust
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ReiDetailing has a spectacular aura aboutReiDetailing has a spectacular aura about
Default -31.80 Feedback Knock, 0 DAM, -11 FKL

Hey guys,

So awhile back last year, I got stuck in a bad rain storm, water must've entered the engine bay through my APR hood vents.

Anyways I parked in a gas station and waited for the torrential downpour to stop. Once it did, I left, and eventually in the drive, I opened the car up into boost and got some really weird numbers.

-31.80 Feedback Knock
0 DAM
Fine Knock Learning was around -11ish.

I scanned the ECU, no codes whatsoever.

The car felt like it was bogged down, absolutely no power.

The strange thing is there was no sounds of knock. I had a friend replace my knock sensor, that didn't seem to fix it.

My shop believes it's for sure a false reading, as any -31.80 feedback knock event would result in a catastrophic engine failure. He believes it to be an electrical-related issue. When I reset the ECU, the car is fine...but the issue eventually comes back after I give it a WOT pull.

Another thing I've noticed is that the RPMs are taking noticeably longer to drop. My car has a stock turbo, but a CF Driveshaft as well. But for example, if I'm backing into the driveway, and blipping the gas, the RPMs don't drop as fast as they used to.

Please provide any thoughts or insight; I have the car scheduled at the end of April to get taken apart to locate the issue.

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited by ReiDetailing; 04-14-19 at 04:24 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-19, 10:33 AM   #2
JSR84
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

JSR84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: -31.80 Feedback Knock, 0 DAM, -11 FKL

I had crazy numbers like this when I had broken ring lands. I had to effectively disable knock control so I could reliably drive it. It might be worth a compression and leak down test. All the ringland fragments were rattling around making lots of noise, the fact that it was #4 probably contributed to the severity of the knock detection.

Last edited by JSR84; 04-14-19 at 10:37 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-14-19, 11:43 AM   #3
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: -31.80 Feedback Knock, 0 DAM, -11 FKL

What is the AFR when you go WOT?

Personally, I'd start with:

- Clean MAF and boost leak test
- Plugs
- Potentially coil packs
- Clean Throttle Body

If you ever fear cracked ring lands, do a compression test. To me, from what you've described, it sounds load related, which generally comes down to spark.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement