Oil temps way high after header install - Page 12 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Oil temps way high after header install
Oil temps way high after header install
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Oil temps way high after header install

Old 06-10-19, 04:15 AM   #111
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Oil temps way high after header install

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapp View Post
What do you think could actually be causing the restriction? . . .I'm trying to think of what could cause a hose to not pass sufficient fluid without leaking or anything.
Could just be a bend sharp enough to partially collapse a hose. They are formed, and at least on of them has a 90 in it

Quote:
I would imagine it would. I don't have an oil pressure gauge so I can't be certain. Perhaps the pressure is low but not enough to cause other immediate issues so it is only being noticed by the high temps.
I don't think oil pressure is the issue - but if I did I'd be saying don't rive it till you are sure it is good.

You know the old saying "don't fix it if it aint broke". It comes from real experiences. I'm not saying not to do maintenance or mod, but when you do work on something and it stops working you should know where to look.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-19, 10:59 AM   #112
brapp
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp will become famous soon enoughbrapp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
Could just be a bend sharp enough to partially collapse a hose. They are formed, and at least on of them has a 90 in it
Great. I'll take a look at those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman
I don't think oil pressure is the issue - but if I did I'd be saying don't rive it till you are sure it is good.

You know the old saying "don't fix it if it aint broke". It comes from real experiences. I'm not saying not to do maintenance or mod, but when you do work on something and it stops working you should know where to look.
Totally. That's why my mind went to the headers, as they were the only thing that got worked on.

This wouldn't be the first time though that I put on a new part and something else happened to go wrong at the same time. Perhaps from the car sitting in the air without being run for a longer stretch, perhaps something else got bumped during the install, or perhaps the new part ended up putting extra strain on something that was already stressed enough.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-10-19, 12:31 PM   #113
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Totally. That's why my mind went to the headers, as they were the only thing that got worked on.
Perhaps you blown up my guess, but I took:

Quote:
I do not have an external cooler, just the stock oil/coolant heat exchanger. From the research I've done... it doesn't seem like those really go bad. It did have a very slow oil weep at the seal, but I replaced that and it had no noticeable effect on the temps.
to mean you had worked on or with your oil cooler - which was my whole point. If not that makes it far less likely it the problem. Rereading I believe that the oil temps were already hot before you messed with it.

Quote:
Other than that... the only things that changed around the same time were adding an AOS,
Water cooled AOS? If plumbed as in the diagram it should have made no difference.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 06-10-19 at 12:41 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-19, 08:15 PM   #114
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
Perhaps you blown up my guess, but I took:

to mean you had worked on or with your oil cooler - which was my whole point. If not that makes it far less likely it the problem. Rereading I believe that the oil temps were already hot before you messed with it.

Water cooled AOS? If plumbed as in the diagram it should have made no difference.
Oil cooler was never touched. Oil temps were normal in the past.

Regardless, I think it's a good thought. One that has been shared by others among my racing friends.

Yes, water cooled AOS. I believe all was installed correctly... and I think if it was done wrongly it would have been pretty obvious from the start. But worth a thought.

I'm working 8am to 1am ish every day this week and hoping to run SCCA Time Trials this weekend at High Plains Raceway. Had a couple friends come through for me... picked up a spare stock oil cooler as well as a complete oil cooler setup with a 25 row Mocal cooler. Dropped it all off tonight at a good shop -- hopefully they can either find an issue with the stock cooler/lines and/or install the Mocal setup so I can still run this weekend.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 07-16-19, 10:17 AM   #115
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Well... after way more headaches and heartaches... still basically where I was before.

Due to poor work done by a shop that installed the cooler, I didn't get to drive the car more than 1 practice session at the TT event. When I did, in a cool morning session temps stabilized at around 255. Which is okay, but still seems high.

I was forced to redo the cooler -- now... running a Mishimoto 25 row cooler in the lower grill opening (about half exposed to full airflow) and I'm still seeing temps of slightly over 220 around town, rising to 230 pretty fast if I start giving it boost. This seems to be the case even when it's not particularly hot out... I hit 220 the other day driving on the highway in the rain.

I've done one autocross since having the cooler in. I'd go out for a run with temps about 210 and return with them about 220 which quickly rose to 230-240 when sitting in grid. Spraying water on the cooler got them back down to 210 again for the next run.

I'm pretty much completely out of thoughts at this point -- I was planning to run Gridlife at the end of this month but I can't imagine how the temps could stay cool enough when they don't even stay below 220 driving around town.

It's starting to seem to me like something is really wrong internally with the motor. It seems that most folks have trouble even getting the oil up to temp running a cooler of this size... and it seems to be fighting to keep up for me. I have been wondering how many others might have had an issue like this and just ended up spinning a bearing because they didn't know the temps got too hot. In any case... I just want my car back and it's starting to seem like tearing the engine down is becoming my only choice...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-16-19, 05:03 PM   #116
killerbmotorsport
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Car: Blue 05 WRX STi
Fav Mod: It's all good
My Subaru Parts for sale

killerbmotorsport is just really nicekillerbmotorsport is just really nicekillerbmotorsport is just really nicekillerbmotorsport is just really nicekillerbmotorsport is just really nice

Mishy thermal products are not known for being the most efficient out there. I'm not surprised by the somewhat marginal improvement. I would recommend a Mocal setup.

Also, just out of curiosity, have you had an oil analysis done?

OEM Oil Pickup Failures vs. The Ultimate Oil Pickup

World's Best Performing Air Oil Separator

Brushed Delrin Shift knobs - Grab Our Knobs - It's Good Shift! CLICK HERE!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-16-19, 05:23 PM   #117
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

If you need a good core, I'd look towards the Fluidyne Therm-HX models. They are really effective, even at low airflow.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-16-19, 06:57 PM   #118
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbmotorsport View Post
Mishy thermal products are not known for being the most efficient out there. I'm not surprised by the somewhat marginal improvement. I would recommend a Mocal setup.

Also, just out of curiosity, have you had an oil analysis done?
Funny enough, the 1st cooler was a Mocal 25 row cooler. Temps seemed similar to the Mishimoto. Unfortunately due to a shop's poor choices on the install that cooler is now fairly worthless.

Still... a 25 row cooler, even if not very efficient, seems like it shouldn't be fighting to keep up with a stock turbo, stock motor car...

I actually just took an oil sample to send to Blackstone earlier tonight.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-16-19, 07:06 PM   #119
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
If you need a good core, I'd look towards the Fluidyne Therm-HX models. They are really effective, even at low airflow.
Appreciate the recommendation.

Question for you... as a tuner, can you see any possible way that the tune could be causing the high temps?

Basically 3 things changed and the car almost immediately started having high oil temp issues.
1) Stock header to Killer B
2) SPT intake to Grimmspeed intake
3) Tune

Coincidences happen... but it just seems strange. I feel like I've ruled out radiant heat from the header, the intake should be providing cooler air than before... so that leaves the tune.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement