Oil temps way high after header install - Page 11 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Oil temps way high after header install
Oil temps way high after header install
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Oil temps way high after header install

Old 06-06-19, 04:22 AM   #101
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Oil temps way high after header install

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
How? Difference? Yes. Obvious? Obviously not! Brapp would have figured this out long ago.

He wouldn’t be able to drive let alone idle more than a minute after startup if there was a coolant blockage.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-19, 08:17 AM   #102
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Pretty sure I explained well enough for most people.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 06-06-19 at 08:22 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-07-19, 09:50 PM   #103
brapp
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp will become famous soon enoughbrapp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
How? Difference? Yes. Obvious? Obviously not! Brapp would have figured this out long ago.

Cooling System Diagram in first post.
Updated Coolant Line Diagram (changed for many mods) - NASIOC

Oil Cooler is in a bypass in in the passenger side loop. But it's not the only path or the primary path. The only thing the thermostat controls is radiator flow. It has nothing to do with this.

Coolant changes little if at all from getting hot or even boiling.

We have symptoms - and a logical diagnosis. Shouldn't have taken us this long!
Removal and replacement of oil cooler results in hot oil. Oil cooler not working should have been the primary suspect right off the bat.
It's an interesting thought. I don't know enough about that system to comment, so it's definitely seeming like a good thing to investigate.

I tested the sensor tonight. Took boiling water, transferred it to a metal can, and within 1 minute had the sensor in it. The elevation at my house is 7700 ft and according to online sources, it seems like water should boil at about 196 degrees here. The submersed sensor read 190 degrees. I have to imagine the water lost a degree or two due to the thin metal can it was in as well. So to me that seems like a working sensor.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-19, 09:54 PM   #104
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:

Cooling System Diagram in first post.
Updated Coolant Line Diagram (changed for many mods) - NASIOC

Oil Cooler is in a bypass in in the passenger side loop. But it's not the only path or the primary path. The only thing the thermostat controls is radiator flow. It has nothing to do with this.

Coolant changes little if at all from getting hot or even boiling.

We have symptoms - and a logical diagnosis. Shouldn't have taken us this long!
Removal and replacement of oil cooler results in hot oil. Oil cooler not working should have been the primary suspect right off the bat.
I don't know enough about the system to say one way or another... but it's an interesting thought. Would you think the cooler itself would be the issue or one of the hoses/connections going to it?

I tested the sensor tonight. Took boiling water, put it in an aluminum can, and within 90 seconds or so had the sensor in it and was reading off the gauge in the car. According to online sources, water at this elevation (7700 ft) boils at about 196 degrees. The sensor read the water temperature at 190 degrees. I'd also assume the can absorbed a small amount of heat. So it seems like the sensor is accurate within about 5 degrees.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-08-19, 03:25 PM   #105
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

deleted

Last edited by brapp; 06-08-19 at 05:25 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-08-19, 04:43 PM   #106
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

So it seems right now that the only thoughts remaining from anyone (on here or otherwise) is the tune or the oil cooler.

I've reached out to my tuner to get his thoughts. Considering going for an aftermarket oil cooler kit that would replace the stock one. If that is the issue, it'll solve it as well. If not, it should at least let me keep things cool.

Last edited by brapp; 06-08-19 at 05:27 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-08-19, 07:06 PM   #107
mheyman
Gold Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Unless something got into the cooler, it's the plumbing which is just a couple hoses.

When external coolers are installed in is normal to keep the stock one too? Then you need to fix it anyway, and it's not going to be difficult or very expensive.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-09-19, 02:01 PM   #108
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Unless something got into the cooler, it's the plumbing which is just a couple hoses.

When external coolers are installed in is normal to keep the stock one too? Then you need to fix it anyway, and it's not going to be difficult or very expensive.
It still seems like if the hoses were blocked then the coolant system would be acting odd and getting hot as well. In fact the cooling system is working super well as even with 260 degree oil temps, water temps stayed normal.

But, good point about easy to swap. Probably worth just trying it.

And even if it isn't the hoses, I wonder if the cooler could have a blockage or have gotten less efficient somehow.

I believe when installing external oil coolers, it is normal to delete the stock one. And in my case, it would definitely be necessary as the extra height from the sandwich plate would otherwise push the oil filter into the headers.

One thought I got from a friend at autocross today was that perhaps the oil pump is struggling and is not pushing oil through the system as efficiently as it should. Thus leading to the oil getting hot.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-09-19, 04:04 PM   #109
mheyman
Gold Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapp View Post
It still seems like if the hoses were blocked then the coolant system would be acting odd and getting hot as well. In fact the cooling system is working super well as even with 260 degree oil temps, water temps stayed normal.
NO!!! It's in a bypass dedicated to the cooler and only the cooler. You couod removed the cooler and block it off. I posted a link showing the routing. Once you realize it's in a bypass, and consider the size of the cooler. That bypass can not do cooling significant enough to affect the overall system. The plumbing is simply to small.

Quote:
And even if it isn't the hoses, I wonder if the cooler could have a blockage or have gotten less efficient somehow.

Yes, I'd be concerned about that. look in the ends. Blow it out with compressed air - in both directions.

Quote:
One thought I got from a friend at autocross today was that perhaps the oil pump is struggling and is not pushing oil through the system as efficiently as it should. Thus leading to the oil getting hot.

OK. That is a plausible explanation - no wait - wouldn't that cause low oil pressure?

But from a previous post:

Quote:

Last edited by mheyman; 06-09-19 at 04:10 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-09-19, 09:10 PM   #110
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
NO!!! It's in a bypass dedicated to the cooler and only the cooler. You couod removed the cooler and block it off. I posted a link showing the routing. Once you realize it's in a bypass, and consider the size of the cooler. That bypass can not do cooling significant enough to affect the overall system. The plumbing is simply to small.
Hmm. I think I see what you mean. The diagram to me looked like the cooler was in the same route as the passenger side heads. But I'm not too good with reading diagrams for such things.

What do you think could actually be causing the restriction? I'm trying to think of what could cause a hose to not pass sufficient fluid without leaking or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman
OK. That is a plausible explanation - no wait - wouldn't that cause low oil pressure?
I would imagine it would. I don't have an oil pressure gauge so I can't be certain. Perhaps the pressure is low but not enough to cause other immediate issues so it is only being noticed by the high temps.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement