Oil temps way high after header install - Page 10 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Oil temps way high after header install
Oil temps way high after header install
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Oil temps way high after header install

Old 06-04-19, 09:44 PM   #91
brapp
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp will become famous soon enoughbrapp will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Oil temps way high after header install

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
I don't see this as tune related. A hard part was installed that should really make things cooler, aside from radiant heat. Also, the tune will only correct to *50% in closed loop, but you also don't want it to be there.

Have you tried a new sender and new wires?
I haven't tried a new sender and wires. So far, I've verified the sensor using a high-end IR thermometer that I borrowed from a performance shop. But I'm thinking next step is to check again with a pot of boiling water. At this elevation, water boils at right about 200 degrees even, so that should be a good measurement for the sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbee
Is your oil cooler working properly?
I'd wondered that as well. I do not have an external cooler, just the stock oil/coolant heat exchanger. From the research I've done... it doesn't seem like those really go bad. It did have a very slow oil weep at the seal, but I replaced that and it had no noticeable effect on the temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus
The AFR itself is a ratio independant of heat. It follows the tune, so if all incoming data after the meters stay the same or don’t vary more than 25% from the tune, then the AFR will always be perfect.

It really depends on many things. The basic generalization is that a more agressive tune makes the engine perform harder which creates more heat. The tuner can control EGTs, cooling, timing, etc in different drive cycles. If the tune isn’t as efficient performance wise for the engine, as it could or used to be, then the extra energy has to go somewhere and most often that’s seen with a temperature change.
It's a theory for sure. The tuner's I've talked to have thought it was a bit of a long shot that the tune was causing the change... but as it's the only other thing that changed aside from the headers that could conceivably cause an issue...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-19, 04:04 AM   #92
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Hmm,

your temp readings are verified.

I don't know much about our oil coolers - but you took it off. Oils pressure is good. Kink or other restriction in a water line? There are water lines, correct? It's the only thing that completely fits your symptoms.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-05-19, 04:27 AM   #93
killerbmotorsport
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Car: Blue 05 WRX STi
Fav Mod: It's all good
My Subaru Parts for sale

killerbmotorsport is just really nicekillerbmotorsport is just really nicekillerbmotorsport is just really nicekillerbmotorsport is just really nicekillerbmotorsport is just really nice

IR is only measuring surface temps. That is not going to be the same as what the submersed sensor reads.

OEM Oil Pickup Failures vs. The Ultimate Oil Pickup

World's Best Performing Air Oil Separator

Brushed Delrin Shift knobs - Grab Our Knobs - It's Good Shift! CLICK HERE!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-19, 05:55 AM   #94
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbmotorsport View Post
IR is only measuring surface temps. That is not going to be the same as what the submersed sensor reads.

This... IR gun isn’t really a good way to tell if the sensor is accurate. You’d have to submerge a temp needle from another port.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-05-19, 08:30 AM   #95
mheyman
Gold Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

except they already agreed - no?

They'll be very, no extremely close when the car is off and still - and the OP wasn't under it measuring when on the track - was he?. Did he poke a hole in the floor for "live monitoring"?

Last edited by mheyman; 06-05-19 at 09:05 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-05-19, 08:43 AM   #96
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

So I'll pull the sensor and stick it in some boiling water. Hopefully that'll show it reading high.

Water lines... I'm not sure what lines there really are. But the water temps are all happy, haven't gotten hot or anything. So they should be cooling the oil, not heating it, correct?

(Possibly) dumb questions if anyone has any answers...

1. Any possible way anything with the AOS could be causing anything? Maybe if it was routed wrong or anything? It's an IAG Comp series.

2. Could there be anything internal in the motor that could be causing it? Something not letting the oil flow as well as it should?

Hoping the boiling water test shows a blown sensor but just trying to brainstorm. Really really hoping to run SCCA Time Trial event next weekend with this car.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-05-19, 09:25 AM   #97
mheyman
Gold Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Since I don't really know the system I need to look some things up - later.

But, there are two hoses connected to the top of the cooler, and from reading here, my understanding is that the cooler is water cooled - which makes sense - cause it isn't going to cool anything in there with no air movement, no fins and no water. So, it must be water cooled. Again, I know there are two hoses. Oil goes in and out inside the filter gasket - and coolant enters and exits via the hoses. No?

Restricted coolant flow makes completes sense. That coolant path in in the bypass (I bet). It will not change your coolant temp at all as long as you coolant system is working. It is possible that it might change your heat inside. Whatever. It makes perfect sense.

I'm wrong often enough. Where is this wrong?

Last edited by mheyman; 06-05-19 at 12:36 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-05-19, 10:39 PM   #98
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
Since I don't really know the system I need to look some things up - later.

But, there are two hoses connected to the top of the cooler, and from reading here, my understanding is that the cooler is water cooled - which makes sense - cause it isn't going to cool anything in there with no air movement, no fins and no water. So, it must be water cooled. Again, I know there are two hoses. Oil goes in and out inside the filter gasket - and coolant enters and exits via the hoses. No?

Restricted coolant flow makes completes sense. That coolant path in in the bypass (I bet). It will not change your coolant temp at all as long as you coolant system is working. It is possible that it might change your heat inside. Whatever. It makes perfect sense.

I'm wrong often enough. Where is this wrong?
Hmm... I do see what you mean.

My thought was always that the coolant temps are good... so the coolant would be cooling the oil. So the issue would not be caused by the cooling system having an issue. But if there was less coolant than normal flowing through that stock cooler, then I could see how it could be cooling less efficiently.

But... wouldn't that system be in-line with other parts of the coolant system? And if there was a blockage there wouldn't it be noticeable in the coolant temps as well?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-06-19, 01:53 AM   #99
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Oil temps way high after header install

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapp View Post

But... wouldn't that system be in-line with other parts of the coolant system? And if there was a blockage there wouldn't it be noticeable in the coolant temps as well?

It’d be a lot more obvious if it was a blockage. The only issues I would see is if the coolant already boiled in the past and is no longer efficient requiring a flush, or the thermostat isn’t opening when it should, or since the tune can control when the fans open or close, they may be turning on later than before. Oil temps way high after header install

Last edited by Noximus; 06-06-19 at 08:32 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-06-19, 04:20 AM   #100
mheyman
Gold Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus View Post
It’d be a lot more obvious if it was a blockage.
How? Difference? Yes. Obvious? Obviously not! Brapp would have figured this out long ago.

Cooling System Diagram in first post.
Updated Coolant Line Diagram (changed for many mods) - NASIOC

Oil Cooler is in a bypass in in the passenger side loop. But it's not the only path or the primary path. The only thing the thermostat controls is radiator flow. It has nothing to do with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus View Post
The only issue I would see is if the coolant already boiled in the past and is no longer efficient
Coolant changes little if at all from getting hot or even boiling.

We have symptoms - and a logical diagnosis. Shouldn't have taken us this long!
Removal and replacement of oil cooler results in hot oil. Oil cooler not working should have been the primary suspect right off the bat.

ADDED: It was the title that threw us . . . like a riddle. The clues are there, but something else get the attention.

Last edited by mheyman; 06-08-19 at 02:28 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement